Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yeah, of course I have this Harold Speed Book on my hard drive and of course I never read it.

BUT since you recommended it to me I started reading. Thank you for that - mysocksrock!

This time I´ve spent half a day on it and I made reference shots and did not work from the mirror.
    Classical Atelier at Home
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey bjoern I've become a fan of your work and this last self portrait is especially good. It's got a very strong composition and I think it is your best one yet. Well done on working so hard your progress is very inspiring.

Thanks
    great stuff bjoern, really has an imposing feel to it.
    You might want to push the cast shadows on the neck alittle more and the shadow side of your face. I think you are over compensating for the darkness of your beard (it might be a dark colour but maybe not a darker tone than your skin) on the shadow side and so the shadows are slightly held back, I do all the time.
    Have a think about if the beard/hair is really that dark on the front of your face (the light side) and does it have different tonal ranges on the shadow side.

maybe try blocking out the hair in the 3rd picture of my last post, it really helps me understand where the light is going to hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    wow I was pointed in the direction of your sketchbook by Marian (above) and it did not disappoint! I'm blown away by your level of dedication and more than that, your ingenuity! I will definitely be checking out your busts and casts in a minute as I'm after something like that myself for the last few weeks.

Anyway, I too feel like these forums have given me a huge amount,and I can't express easily how grateful I am for this community.

Keep on working hard!
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    A couple of those first (the ear, arm...) are very plastic. I saw them some while ago and they are very educational.

Thanks
    This first one is nearly finished. I dont know exactly but I think I worked for more than 20 hours on it.

Second: As I worked on this self portrait I realized that the nose is too long. I always tend to do this. I will finish this one though.

Third: So I tried a pencil self portrait with a different measuring technique. My girlfriend confirmed, that this fits much better to my actual facial anatomy.

As you can see I´m not too lazy

Thank you all for your support - if it´s commenting on my thread or just watching.
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Great update bjoern, it's good to see what you've been doing. I especially like the horse but the self portrait in the spider man costume is rather cool also.

Thanks
    Some really nice stuff to dig in your work .... Loved looking through your thread !!

Thanks
    Your journey in this thread is a pleasure to look through.

I do agree that casts emerging from the darkness are more enjoyable then brightly lit casts. That is not to say that I don't enjoy your Bethoven, he is fantastic!

Thanks
    Thank you all!

I´ve worked more on the Spiderman self portrait - I think I can call this finished.

At least I don´t know what more to do with it. The anatomy is not perfect so why should I spend more time on it?
    Last edited by bjoern3000; October 26th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Well done for working so hard as a self taught artist. Keep it going, your work is looking better and better.

Is your native language German? if so you MUST - if you havn't already - buy Gottfried Bammes Die Gestalt Des Menschen. It is by far the best series of figurative illustrations I have ever seen and I believe if it was translated to English it would become the industry standard (as I believe it is in Germany). I can't read German but I bought it because the illustrations had enough value on their own.

BLOG

Thanks
    Thank you, Marine_Blue!

I´ve often read about this particular book here at CA.org.
    I always keep my eyes open when I´m book stores or flea markets for all those books that are mentioned here in the forum.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    A new selfportrait. In the last couple of weeks I started several SPs but this is the only one that was promising to turn out quite well. One of the others (not shown here) was done from a photograph and it had the usual distortions that I was not able to compensate while painting.

So I started this. I dont know how many hours I worked on it but it was done in a week.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    I'm interested in doing some Bargue Plates myself, but I don't know much about them really. Could you tell me how I should get a hold of them? Do they come in a book, or do I order them individually? Thanks much, and I love the progress you've made! (I remember watching your thread when you started haha)

Thanks
    www.cast-drawing.com

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast