Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleep paralysis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Sleep paralysis

Pretty random topic i know, was just curious of anyone else's experience of this because it happened a couple days ago and i know i can't be the only one here that it's happened to. I very rarely get it, thank god, it's only happened about 8 times in my life along with the occasional sleep talking as a few of my relatives like to remind me about at my cost (once my cousin told me that one night, out of the blue, i sat up out of bed and started yelling "VICTORY" a few times then just colapsed back into bed, heh!)

Every experience of sleep paralysis always scares the shit outta me, feeling of hands covering my mouth, arms wrapped around my neck, hands pushing down on my chest or a dark silhouette of a figure sitting on my chest and you can't move or talk no matter how hard you try. Figures never really materialize into someone or something, they just seem to stay in silhouette form like a cardboard cut out but I've read up about some people clearly see them as something they can recognize.

Anyway, post your experiences up, i need to feel less like a freak.heh!

...Jase

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a friend who told me sleep paralysis happens when a spirit is trying to invade your body. Don't think it's true but it scared the shit out of me when I was younger hah.

While staying at a hotel with some friends, I awoke to them looking at me like I was a monster. They told me I got up in the middle of the dark on my bed and started screaming "I can't feel my body! I can't feel my body! Where the fuck am I?!" I have no recollection of it.

Last edited by Ryan K; September 30th, 2009 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, you're supposed to enter into a state of sleep paralysis. If you're experiencing these things, it means your body isn't properly going into full sleep mode. People who sleep walk, sleep talk, have night terrors, etc don't enter full sleep paralysis and have restless nights because of it.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magicgoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im positive this is where the myths of ufo abduction or visitations from succubi, the grey lady all come from..,

i had a terrible experience with a frankenstein head hovering over me
    mumbling terrifying nonsense ...
    and one experience with "joe camel" i kid you not.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingshaj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had it when I was very young.

.. And I am an avid sleepwalker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never had it, but my little brother started experiencing a lot of sleep paralysis and night terrors after he began experimenting with lucid dreaming. From what he told me about it, it is absolutely terrifying.

Once, a few years ago, my brother came up to me crying and said that he'd been laying asleep in the next room screaming for me to help him because he felt like he was suffocating to death, but no matter how loud he tried to scream or how hard he tried to move, he couldn't make a sound or move and he felt like he was going to die. He seemed pretty traumatized by it.

Yeah, I'm also pretty certain that this is where most of the UFO abduction and succubi stories come from.

As for me, I'm just a bit of a sleepwalker/sleeptalker. I've had friends "wake" me up in the middle of the night and supposedly I've done things like answer the phone, let one of my roomates into the apartment, and get them a glass of water, all while asleep.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    KatFay - I too spent years trying to lucid dream, like your brother, although with somewhat small success! However, it's seems that your brother may not have been properly informed about all that comes along with said practice. In most cases, in order to get lucid, you need to get through the sleep paralysis state. Of course it can be pretty damn scary for those who don't really know what's going on, but once you relax and go with it, you'll see there's nothing to be afraid about. I'm not judging your brother, though, I totally understand his fear. I was toying with this when I was considerably younger than today and I just wasn't ready. I got into the sleep paralysis state a few times but never managed to get any further because of fear. Now that I know better, I've made more attempts, but I just don't have the time now to properly focus and succeed. Maybe once I graduate!

And I'm also joining the ranks of sleep talkers It's not too frequent, but I tend to mumble a lot from time to time. It's nothing compared to my brothers, though, they have entire conversations in their sleep. Not to mention they've all sleepwalked heavily. I guess I missed out on something!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happened 4 times..and it's excactly what Rusty experienced. Felt like a freak when I tell my friends and relatives. My mind plays tricks too and often see the silhouettes. But instead of trying to wake up I try to get to sleep. Works everytime, basically what I learned from a talkshow is your mind is awake but the body is asleep. Scary the first time because I thought I'm paralyzed and wouldn't come out of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loads of times, although not so much recently. If you relax you can "direct" what's going on, too. A couple of times I imagined music and was able to hear it more vividly than going to a concert. I can lucid dream pretty much at will but lucid dreaming, whilst it can be more vivid that waking experience, is different to sleep paralysis. When lucid dreaming your dream surroundings seem real even though you know you're dreaming, whereas with hypnopompic & hypnogogic hallucinations during sleep paralysis you're fully awake and conscious of being in your own bed but you're unable to move or open your eyes. And lots of weird stuff is going on.

It's debatable whether people actually "see" anything when they're in sleep paralysis. Personally I very much doubt it. You may imagine you have your eyes open but you don't. You can't because your eyelids are paralysed just like the rest of you. I've had episodes where I think I'm seeing my room but every time, if I look long enough, I see something out of place or slightly different and realise I don't actually have my eyes open after all. This is what happens during so-called OOBE's. People imagine they're seeing their actual environment when in fact they're simply imagining it. Often you can't convince them of this, however...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had it once, few months back, it was neat! I knew a bit about it, otherwise I would have Freaked Out. It was mild though. I woke up thinking I heard voices outside the door speaking spanish or some language I didn't understand, but when I turned to look I couldn't. I tried really hard to move at all, but nothing. I was lying on my back wide awake, counting 1 2 3 MOVE! In my head, while this weird talking got closer and closer. Haha, probably only lasted about 30 seconds though.

One of my mates said he has had it a few times and always sees a dark shape on the ceiling, just like in The Grudge(?), and can't breath because something is crushing his chest. Poor guy. That would freak me out, even knowing what it is.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunseaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DONT even talk about sleep paralysis and night terror....i can safely say, i experience more night terror and sleep paralysis more than any person or stranger that i've met or not have met.

Sleep paralysis i hate a lot, i rather prefer night terror to being paralyze and some point in my sleep and having the feeling i may not come out of it.

I get paralyze usually around my neck and my arm( especially when my arm is on top of my chest...breathing difficulty). My neck is bent so my head is at an angle that makes breathing so difficult that my body instinctively struggle to break free, and usually it always does, which am so glad it does.

As for Night Terror
    I have experience it enough to know when it start to happen and to snap out of it or make it go away so i can sleep in peace

I even name my night terror...and one or two of it, i just dont know what to explained of it....

if you want to know the name and what they do to me i be willing to explained them to ya...although the last time i did...i got night terror again..

I still get night terror but usually its not even strong as before to make me worried, i sleep through it likes it is nothing now

i feel my night terror have become lame now... i miss the good old day where at one point my night vision went yellow...

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude i get these all the time, usually when i don't sleep for a day or two and work all day. and sometimes when sleeping after having already a long sleep (i.e. waking up and going on a trip that takes hours so i just fall sleep again)

I wake up but my body feels like it still sleeping, i can look around but i can't move my body, i try to scream but i cant I only scream in my head and my body won't respond, the only way i can wake up is if i shake it off after a while of trying it finally shakes off, and i can move feels really weird.

If i just go with it i usually just fall asleep again so im not sure what lucid dreaming exactly is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucid dreaming is when you can dream and recognize that you're in a dream, letting you think independently from the dream, eventually being able to control it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FactorZero View Post
    Lucid dreaming is when you can dream and recognize that you're in a dream, letting you think independently from the dream, eventually being able to control it.
    And with some careful training, you can eventually make most of your dreams, especially those in early morning ( i set my clock for very early, like 4-5 AM, then sleep until 8 AM. I like it. It's like playing a omnipotent deity for a little while . When i was smaller it only happened once or twice on random occasions. More now.

As for the paralysis...let's see what i remember from my psych courses.

The body secretes a hormone during the Dream/R.E.M part of the sleep stage that effectively relaxes and eventually paralyzes your body, preventing you to fully act out the contents of your dreams which you might otherwise do. In most people and during most nights, these hormones will disappate long before the dreaming and the final stages of sleep are finished, but on some occasions they will remain even after subject wakes up, resulting in what people call "normal" sleep paralysis. This is something most people experience a couple of times every few years or so, completely harmless.

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over the summer, I experienced what I think was sleep paralysis. I'm not entirely sure. I was very stressed at the time, panic attacks and all that lovely stuff. That may have attributed.

I didn't see or hear anything strange, but I couldn't move at all. I'd try and my muscles didn't even tense. Felt like something was pressing down on me, and I had that "pins and needles" feeling all over. Eventually, I was able to move my arms and legs a bit, and I came out of it. Was rather rattled after that experience. Pretty much sick with fear. I had been worrying about my health at the time, so I kind of freaked out, thinking something really was wrong with me.

Last edited by Samsa; September 30th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
    - Sage J. Samsa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsa View Post
    Over the summer, I experienced what I think was sleep paralysis. I'm not entirely sure. I was very stressed at the time, panic attacks and all that lovely stuff. That may have attributed.

I didn't see or hear anything strange, but I couldn't move at all. I'd try and my muscles didn't even tense. Felt like something was pressing down on me, and I had that "pins and needles" feeling all over. Eventually, I was able to move my arms and legs a bit, and I came out of it. Was rather rattled after that experience. Pretty much sick with fear. I had been worrying about my health at the time, so I kind of freaked out, thinking something really was wrong with me.
    That's exactly what it sounds like, nothing to worry about. The pins and needle-feeling you describe is what happens when the hormones disappear quickly when you're getting your motor skills back. It is (or should be) similar to when you're letting a limb wake up that's fallen asleep, only in this case it's your entire body. It can be really unsettling, especially if one doesn't know what it is or what's causing it.

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i was a kid i used to be able to put my body to sleep and be awake. Had nothing to do with dreams thoougt, more like relaxation. Its a pretty weird feeling to lose control of your muscles and be starting at your limp body just sitting there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone ever had the sleep paralysis happen, only when you wake up and are paralyzed you are floating over your bed? I was told this is normal. (by yahoo answers)

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've only experienced the real deal once, that i can recall. But something else happens to me a LOT. I'll be falling asleep, and i'll jerk back to waking state with a horrible feeling of terror, often accompanied by a dark shape in the middle of my vision. (I can still move just fine.) This dark shape can be anything from a tiny faint dot to what looks like a spider, a soot from miyazaki movies, or on rare occations what looks like the result of giger designing a species of sentinent mushroom cacti.

The shape always fades within a second or two, and i fall back to sleep properly.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had it happen twice to me, and both times occurred during pretty vivid dreams for me (I usually don't recall my dreams). One time occurred after a high fantasy dream, something about an ogre. The other time was the worst because it involved a demon. I woke up and felt like I was being pinned down. I tried for what felt like a number of minutes trying to get up, but my body refused to move. I hated that.

Thankfully, it's been a number of years since I last had one and don't want another one.

I do, however, occasionally talk in my sleep. I've been told about it twice, and I know my twin brother talks in his sleep too.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, i'm very good at talking on the phone while asleep. People don't even realize the difference, and when i have no recollection of conversing with people they get weirded out or don't believe me. The worst is when i make arrangement to do stuff and then flake out on people. Funniest thing was that i kind of landed one of my best gigs on the phone while asleep, the day after i got a weird "following up on our conversation on the phone last night" mail, with briefs and stuff.. Then i had to do the whole "i was a little tired when we spoke last night, could you repeat the important details for me please?" thing, without remembering any conversation taking place..

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    Oh yeah, i'm very good at talking on the phone while asleep. People don't even realize the difference, and when i have no recollection of conversing with people they get weirded out or don't believe me.
    I've only answered the phone a few times while asleep (mostly just roomate "Let me in! I'm locked out!" type of calls), but I'll often dream I've had conversations with people that I really didn't and then try to talk to them about it the next day. This has resulted in some ....interesting...social blunders.

Quote Originally Posted by AsaB
    I too spent years trying to lucid dream, like your brother, although with somewhat small success! However, it's seems that your brother may not have been properly informed about all that comes along with said practice.
    Thanks. Yeah, he told me he read up on it before doing it, but he just found it incredibly terrifying. Eventually he was able to push past it and was able to lucid dream, but I think it took a while for him too. I thought about trying it, but after his descriptions of his night terrors I was a little too afraid to do so. I guess I'm just a wuss ;P I have vivid enough dreams already.

portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfayheirti View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, he told me he read up on it before doing it, but he just found it incredibly terrifying. Eventually he was able to push past it and was able to lucid dream, but I think it took a while for him too. I thought about trying it, but after his descriptions of his night terrors I was a little too afraid to do so. I guess I'm just a wuss ;P I have vivid enough dreams already.
    It's good to hear he managed to lucid dream eventually, well done! And yeah, hehe, I really understand that you find the sleep paralysis terrifying. It's definitely not something that people are programmed into thinking as conventional or comfortable! However, even though I know there's absolutely nothing to fear, I'm still wary of the whole thing. I want to have the guts soon enough to overcome it, if only for the little personal victory

One thing that I've really benefited from after all these years of trying to lucid dream, is that I can now recall all my dreams with ease. It actually wasn't that hard for me before, but after I kept a dream journal for a long time, it became a habit in the morning to recall my dreams. Today, long after I stopped keeping a journal, it comes pretty effortlessly to me. And since I usually have very surreal and odd dreams, it's a great source for inspiration I don't use it enough when drawing, though...but I constantly think about doing that!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had three episodes so far. The first one was the most unsettling because I really thought that I could be really in trouble: I tried to open my eyes, say something, move anything, and I could not. To "escape" from that state I had to concentrate and collect all my strength to finally awake.

Because now I'm sure about what's really happening: You are just dreaming that you are awake but your body not, but on fact both your body and your mind are asleep. The last two times I just accepted it, and instead of scare myself, I just enjoyed the experience of that strange dream and simply awakened after a while.

I suppose that I'm so over-rational that if God would choose me to give me a revelation and make a prophet of me, I would just find a logical explanation, turn my back, and keep sleeping.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing people really made my day...you bunch of nutters! heh ;p

Baron, Very interesting info dude specially about not really seeing what you think your seeing,looking around the room in the middle of S.P which is really a dream/sub-conscious representation of it? I'm so convinced thats it's real while I'm freaking out during S.P that i never thought about that.

Lucid dreaming is a weird one for me, very few times i have been able to do it freely, mainly it takes something to snap me into it like my T.V which i set to alarm clock mode every day to wake my lazy ass up, i'd be in deep sleep and slowly the sound of early morning cartoons would start coming into my head, i'll start making conscious thoughts mid-dream,

..."T.V's on must be 6:30am"... "5 mins to get changed"..."15 mins for breakfast"... bus at 7:00"...

then all of a sudden i find thinking rationally while doing crazy dream shit for example wondering wtf am i doing riding a motorbike up Mount Everest! heh!

Oni Rem, I really feel for ya, I've only experienced S.P about 8 times and each one seriously f*cked with my mind, i hope you get better man i really do.

Cheers all

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had a couple of situations where I was literally trying to pull myself out of sleep, like I could feel me turning my head and it felt like something was pulling me back, almost like a sort of magnetism. Plus I remember getting freaked out, not being able to move (or I suppose I thought I wasn't able to move) and trying to move my arm and saying "move damnit!"

Oh and <awkward piece of information I probably shouldn't share on a public forum> there was an occasion where I was aware that I was asleep, so I was like "hm. Wonder what I can control in this state?" so I figured what the hell I'll see if I can actually trigger a wet dream (DON'T JUDGE ME hahaha) got about l--l that close (pretend that "l--l" means "really close") to actually doing it before the actual feeling woke me up. And before anyone asks, both my hands were under the pillow when I woke up so don't give me none of that "you were probably just jerkin it in your sleep" voodoo. </awkward piece of information I probably shouldn't share on a public forum>

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It used to happen to me a lot when i was small. I would wake up and couldn't move, and i would struggle so hard and pray my dad would walk in and move me. Then i'd fall back into sleep.

Happened a few more times over the years but not recently. My friend says he can wake himself out of almost any dream. He just realises its fake and if he doesn't like it he ends it. I thought it was a lie till i did it once. It was shocking.
    I remember waking myself out of a dream once more, to find a crack sitting beside my bed talking nonsense and everything was tinted a deep blue, then i woke up properly.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sleep medicine is somewhat related to my profession...

When in REM sleep, your body is paralyzed because your body does not release any neurotransmitters. This is also the stage in sleep where you dream. If your body does not shut down the neurotransmitters you might act out your dreams (sleepwalking etc.).
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_sleep) If that is something that happens to you a lot it would be a good idea to see a sleep specialist.

Also the sensation of choking or being unable to breath could be an indicator of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Again, it would be a go idea to see a doctor and have a sleep study done as it can cause serious health issues. Heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure and congestive heart failure are common among sleep apnea sufferers. Also people feel tired, have headaches, gain weight and are at risk for falling asleep while driving. This sounds like a possibility from what you described. You can check your symptoms here http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/epworth.html.

It could also just be that you are having a weird dream and become aware of your actual, real-life paralysis. That has happened to me a few times. It's creepy but it is normal.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha i wasnt paralyzed but my mom woke me up when i was 16 cause i had a pan i kept putting in the sink at 3 in the morning . she woke up an was like what the hell are you doing an i said her her chicken nuggets would be ready in 5 minutes haha i was work'n 80 hrs a week a MCy D'S that might have had something to do with it

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else do that thing where you're right about to fall asleep and you'll envision yourself maybe tripping off a curb or something and your leg will actually twitch and kick the wall?

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.