Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Ringling Vs. SCAD-- is the cost worth it? (Applies to any 2 schools really)

Alright; Ringling is going to cost me at the very least $100,000 by the time I leave, if I apply and enter. SCAD, probably more like $10-15,000, maybe less.

If anyone has personal stories of these kind of situations, please share.

I really want to go to Ringling, but it's just not looking feasible; I could go, but I'd be paying huge amounts. I know that I would probably get a better education at Ringling, and be surrounded constantly by hard-working, motivated individuals, unlike at SCAD where, because they do not require a portfolio, will have some really good students and a fair number of students that aren't as motivated.

One of the things I was looking forward to at Ringling was making connections and relations with all of the people who are going to come out of it, and I know many industry professionals came from Ringling, moreso than SCAD, at least.

My family will only be able to pay 10K a year for Ringling, I would have to pay the rest. I just don't know if the better environment (imo) of Ringling would be worth it. I know that the main factor is how you apply yourself; but if I went to Ringling, I know I would be forced to apply myself, because I have trouble applying myself on my own; stress moves me. It's how I get stuff done.

Does anyone know how rigorous SCAD is, especially in their illustration department? Obviously I want to work in a concept art related field after college (and maybe after a few CA.org sponsored events =] ), and I don't know if SCAD or Ringling would better help me with this goal, especially considering the connections I could make at Ringling and all of the companies that come recruiting each year.

General insight or advice? Has anyone ever had to make a decision like this, and what were the results? Do you regret going to a more expensive college? Do you feel it was worth it from what you got out of the school aside from your own hard work?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Theres a stickied thread in the schools forum that has most of the answers you seek. I've probably read it 6 times myself... its moderately inspiring.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102315

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    I dunno, 100k seems like a TON when it all comes down to skill aquired at the end (which is more about how much you apply yourself than who your teachers are).

Would rather spend the 10k on school and then 90k on a CRAZY studio with every material I would ever need (paintbrushes, oils, a few computers, a cintiq and a few tablets.... and so on and so on and so on). Yup, that would be so nice *drool*

Thanks
    im pretty sure SCAD has more crazy materials than Ringling

Thanks
    So far, Ringling hasn't supplied me with much of anything materials wise.

I've already spent a couple hundred bucks on art supplies (not including the core kit).

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Yeah, right now I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about Ringling. I don't think I'll attend.

I've been thinking hard about what Jason said about non-college options...

Thanks
    I currently attend SCAD. If you're interested in the concept art field, I would advise the Sequential Art department over Illustration. Also, SCAD has recently added Concept Art as a minor, and it's designed to complement either the Sequential Art or the Game Design major.

The sequential art curriculum can really kick your ass, especially if you're taking courses to tailor your skills to the concept art industry rather than comics. You get a lot of instruction on anatomy, perspective, and color, as well as classes that focus on character design, concept development, and creature anatomy to name a few. You'll have some less motivated peers at the beginning, sure, but as you push on into the curriculum they fall off pretty fast.

Let's just say that if you want to succeed in the department, you learn the value of carefully-rationed sleep and energy drinks (though not quite as much as the poor animation kids, heheh).

Of course the downside is that SCAD is an expensive school, but if the cost difference between SCAD and Ringling is that extreme? Go to effin' SCAD. You WILL be pushed to do your best and you WILL have the opportunities to make the connections you need. And like anything else, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Thanks
    I have a couple friends from High School who are going to SCAD, and they both seem to love it.
    If you want to build groping toys, bongs and Al-Qaeda collectable figurines (aka 3D Design), come to Ringling!

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Thanks alotta, lowercase; it was helpful.

Thanks
    For me I went to a community college for 2 years then went to SCAD and learned a lot. I know I missed out on some classes but I saved a lot of money doing so. But overall I had a really great time at scad. And they really try to push you in whatever degree your for.

Thanks
    Which major are you looking at, drd? Illustration or Computer Animation? Better yet, what are you hoping to do when you are done? Do you want to be an animator? Concept Artist?

Lowercase is speaking from a freshman's perspective of Ringling. Freshman year is kind of a joke. Sophomore year Computer Animation is a punch in the nose, and it just keeps getting more intense from there on out. I don't think they could possibly push more into the curriculum if they tried. All students do is eat, sleep, and work on homework. Weekends don't exist. If you want stress... You've got it.

The Illustration department at Ringling is great, but the work ethic isn't quite the same as Computer Animation. You'll find a few who are really motivated, but there are also plenty that realize they can slide by on the bare minimum. Why they are spending $40k a year, I don't know. But whatever the case, you'll need a bit more self motivation here.

SCAD, as you say, will have plenty more variation in the level of motivation. You might have an easier time crossing over between Illustration/Sequential Art/3D animation courses there than you would at Ringling. The facilities are not as nice as Ringling's. The area is not a campus--you'll have to travel around the city to get to different buildings. However, the are still students who find success out of SCAD. 3D World Magazine rates them #3 in the US & Canada (Ringling is #1). And saving $85k is nothing to scoff at.

Really, if you haven't visited either campus, you really should. No one but you can make the final decision. I love Ringling. But I also wouldn't want to be in debt for the rest of my life.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    Which major are you looking at, drd? Illustration or Computer Animation? Better yet, what are you hoping to do when you are done? Do you want to be an animator? Concept Artist?

Lowercase is speaking from a freshman's perspective of Ringling. Freshman year is kind of a joke. Sophomore year Computer Animation is a punch in the nose, and it just keeps getting more intense from there on out. I don't think they could possibly push more into the curriculum if they tried. All students do is eat, sleep, and work on homework. Weekends don't exist. If you want stress... You've got it.

The Illustration department at Ringling is great, but the work ethic isn't quite the same as Computer Animation. You'll find a few who are really motivated, but there are also plenty that realize they can slide by on the bare minimum. Why they are spending $40k a year, I don't know. But whatever the case, you'll need a bit more self motivation here.

SCAD, as you say, will have plenty more variation in the level of motivation. You might have an easier time crossing over between Illustration/Sequential Art/3D animation courses there than you would at Ringling. The facilities are not as nice as Ringling's. The area is not a campus--you'll have to travel around the city to get to different buildings. However, the are still students who find success out of SCAD. 3D World Magazine rates them #3 in the US & Canada (Ringling is #1). And saving $85k is nothing to scoff at.

Really, if you haven't visited either campus, you really should. No one but you can make the final decision. I love Ringling. But I also wouldn't want to be in debt for the rest of my life.
    Thanks for your reply. I want to be a concept artist; animation isn't really my thing, I found out, when I took it as an elective at Ringling precollege. The other was illustration, which I loved.

I went to SCAD for SCAD Day last weekend, and it was nice. Yeah, it's true that the buildings are spread around, but I sort of like that. From what the admisions reps saw of my tentative portfolio, I might be able to get a decent amount of scholarship money if I work on what they suggested.

I went and visited the different programs, mainly Game Design, Illustration, and Sequential Art. Out of the three, it actually seemed as if Sequential Art would be my best bet; If I end up at SCAD (which I'm hoping on), I'll be majoring in Seq. Art and minoring in Concept Art. Mia Paluzzi, the Seq. Art professor I was talking with and who gave me the tour of the Seq Art building, said that they're working on a concept Art major. Because of how flexible SCAD seems to be, I might be able to switch into Concept Art as a major and already have some courses out of the way.

Besides, I figure making comics is a type of concept work anyway; either way I'll be taking Creature Design classes, Character Design classes, Conceptual Illustration, etc.

I also hear that the Seq Art program is quite rigorous (not 100 percent sure), so that's good. I want to be pushed hard; stress motivates me best. However, I want some free time to work on my own things, which is why I would never study CA at Ringling.

Thanks
    But in a fight between the two schools who would win?

also I am reading many say that the Sequential Art program at SCAD is very demanding; what's the most demanding that Ringling offers? Are you (drd) saying that CA at Ringling is even more demanding?

and which one has the most lenient policies regarding constant nudity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2