P.O.W.! Challenge 31--The Boss...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 31--The Boss...

P.O.W.! Challenge 31
    Deadline: Sunday, October, 2009, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: The Boss...

It's time to get even whether you work at McDonalds or some snotty law firm. The boss can also be someone you answer to in some other way--say in the military, an older friend, part of a gang or some criminal organization, or (Goddes, say it ain't so!) your spouse/BF/GF... Anyone who thinks they're in charge is fair game. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color. We're also going to stick with the three-week Challenge period for a while because it seems to be giving people a bit more time to play.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a TENTATIVE maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

Again, this one is three weeks rather than the usual two weeks to see if it will allow more participation or just cause a lot more procrastination.

P.O.W.! Challenge 32, 33, 34 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, October 18, 2009. It will be a special BOX-Strip Comic Challenge (Newspaper Style) and will be the first of three similar Challenges in a row.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Mydrim; October 26th, 2009 at 10:59 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mydrim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any Sunday in October? lololol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct. 18, 2009.

Wow Mydrim! That's pretty sublime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo, sounds like fun... My last boss was a parody of herself, I wouldn't have to take much artistic license...

But I can't see Mydrim's images... T_T anyone else with this problem?

Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    could i be my own boss? since i m the best little dictator i know

Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mydrim's images contain violence, adult language, nudity, and a sexual situation portrayed within the context of some MMORPG players on an adventure. Maybe you are getting blocked somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... maybe I was blocked before, but i can see Mydrim's stuff now, which is good cuz it's pretty funny! It was probably just a problem with the server? (has happened before that I can't see some images and then a few hours/days later it's fine).

Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Page one is done...

I actually wrote a script for seven pages, and they'd probably be better off as eight... But hopefully I'll be able to finish at least two ^^'

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tobbA; October 5th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Page 2

Should probably try to make shorter speach bubbles next time...

Edit: I just realized the deadline isn't until next (next week again?) Heh. Then there's plenty of time

Last edited by tobbA; October 6th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is bassed on real events its not finished yet but it will be soon I promise!!
    and I first made a short story :

A look around my room at this very momment could shed light on it all. Besides the clutter there is narry a rebellious aspect to my living space. Rather than a chilled out bob marley hanging on a nail, a 5 foot poster of the mario brothers is plastered right beside a printout of jesus christ (the mormon version) on the southern end of my wall.

In fact the very cop that searched my room 3 years ago was probably thinking the same thing.
    I remember it clearly through a haze of vicoden and diloudid. I had discovered them while rumaging through my mother's things.
    I took the pills from my moms dressor while showering in the master bedroom.
    It was then that I had realized that I had taken too long in my efforts to aqquire the pills. You see, for me showers normally didn't take 30 minutes long. I had to have some sort of alibi.

I rummaged through my mother's closet to find a shirt, anything that would look nice and fit me.
    It was on the forth shelf to the right adjacent to a fauz fur coat. A fitted plain white dress shirt that looked manly enough for a homosexual male to wear.
    It will do, I thought.

I emerged from the bathroom triumphant. a towel slung around my waste like a loin cloth with the bottle of pills tucked underneath as if i were to conceal an unwanted boner.
    Outside, my mother was fixing her nightly coffee before retiring to her office.
    "you sure took your time, why are your eyes red?" my mother asked in what she hoped was a sly voice but only served as annoying. A bit of backstory. as clumsy as I am a bar of soap which had no business anywear near my face always seemed to lather its spuds in my eye, resulting in a somewhat traditional question from my mother, "why are your eyes red."
    "its the soap ma... geeze...can I have this shirt? It fits me"..my mother paused a momment to think and nodded her head.

I was in the clear. there were 5 vicoden in my possession along with 5 darvacet. I popped 3 darvacets and snorted one vicoden and parachuted the rest.
    Apparently I was supposed to be practicing the piano at this time. But I was so high on the pharmacuticals I had stole that upon wandering into my little brother's room, I had to lie down. my mother came to "check up on me" and so she found me faced down plastered on the couch.
    Were you looking for this? she pulled out an empty prescription bottle and held it to my face. "I know what you did" and with that she left the room.

It was then that nausea took the place of pleasure ,as it often did with opiates, I would learned in the future.
    I proceeded to vomit the entire contents of my stomache into the trashcan next to my brother's couch that I was laying on. my brother then decided to take a casual visit to his room. he took one look at the scene and ran out towards the living room.
    "MOOOOMMM, joe threw up in my garbage can", I could here the little brat trail off into the distance.

this was it for me I counted exactly 95 seconds before my dad came to see me.
    "are you on drugs?"...all I could do was feebly nod to express a "yes"
    "did you take mommy's pain pills?"
    I said "yes".
    I began to follow my dad to the living room.

with a glass of whiskey in one hand he cordually invited me to sit down beside him and I listened to one insult after another.
    "drug addict, junkie, failure as a son." I then yelled out the words "hypocrate" while staring at the glass of booze he held.
    "hypocrate" "hypocrate", each repetition I screamed louder till my voice grew corosive. my dad stood up at this time, "I am NOT a hypocrate" "IM THE BOSS, I'M THE BOSS. I'M THE BOSS", and he proceeded to beat the living shit out of me. my mom had screamed at me to call the police to save myself.

I reached for the phone and sent a report of domestic abuse to 911. my mom then smirked at me and told me, "you know you just called the police on yourself, wahahahahaha"

I then realized with horror what kind of a sham my family had become.
    the police came and searched my room then.
    as I said, he chuckled to himself once or twice.
    this wasnt the room of a druggie, he must have thought.
    "this is the room of a nerd."

and that was all there was too it. It is now

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Announcement...

The poll will take a couple more days to set up for this challenge, and the new challenge will be a few days longer before it's up. My apologies, but my younger brother had a stroke on Sunday and I've been in Pittsburgh at the hospital with him. As soon as I think it's safe to leave for more than a few hours, I'll get the poll and new challenge up. Thank you for your patience here. If anyone had something started for the "Boss" challenge, if you want to try and finish at least two of the pages before I get back, I'll accept it as "on time."

Thank you. I won't have comp access where I'm at, so bear with me.

Ilaekae (Alj)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just a quick block in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following

WIPs

The deadline "October 2009" is rather confusing... Is Oct 18 the deadline?

Well, here I go... Something I did in an hour or two:

Name:  page1Pre1.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  page2Pre1.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  47.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP update

Name:  page1Pre2.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  40.9 KB

Edit: Oh fuck I just realized I didn't make the guy big enough in the third panel. ><

Last edited by velderia; October 14th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It pretty much has to be October 18. That is the next Sunday occurring after Ilaekae's recent post and it also is the Sunday he said at the beginning would be the day he made the new poll. It's also three weeks after the first post in which he said we would get three weeks.

If you are worried, just say on here that you intend to be done by then and I am pretty sure it will be fine. There are enough wips on here to indicate people are interested. Ilaekae would just need a signal about whether you intend to refine your piece or whether you already consider it final. I would say just continue refining it until it is final and then clearly say it is final. That should do. He has more important stuff to worry about than kicking people out of POW Poll #31.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    It pretty much has to be October 18. That is the next Sunday occurring after Ilaekae's recent post and it also is the Sunday he said at the beginning would be the day he made the new poll. It's also three weeks after the first post in which he said we would get three weeks.

If you are worried, just say on here that you intend to be done by then and I am pretty sure it will be fine. There are enough wips on here to indicate people are interested. Ilaekae would just need a signal about whether you intend to refine your piece or whether you already consider it final. I would say just continue refining it until it is final and then clearly say it is final. That should do. He has more important stuff to worry about than kicking people out of POW Poll #31.
    Oh thank you.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this. I'm not overly concern on getting on the poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my final

enjoy.

page 1

page 2

page 3

Last edited by ashton; October 18th, 2009 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everybody for your patience. I'm back at my comp today (Saturday) to catch up, so I will post the new challenge by the end of today and get the poll up as well.

I've been living at the hospital in Pittsburgh for the last week and a half roughly, and things have stabilized with my brother to the point that I could get out for at least one day. Arttorney, thanks for the help. To the rest of you, I apologize for screwing up the schedule so badly. I love what i just quickly flicked by and thank you for your efforts.

To be a bit specific so everybody understands, My next younger brother, who is 62, has had a massive disabling stroke, and though he's not out of the woods yet, it looks like he will at least survive (we think) and recover to some degree with rehabilitation. I'm going to try to check in here as often as I can to keep things moving, but will have to be gone for days at a time because my brother lives alone and I have to get his personal affairs organized, some legal problems with guardianship settled and all the nasty shit like that that happens to someone who doesn't have a massive family around them at all times. Things DO look good, and I'm going to try to not let this personal thing interfere here too much, so thank you in advance for any patience and little "help your fellow conspirator" advice you can give back and forth among yourselves til things get back to normal.

alj

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best wishes about him.

I'm the eldest in my family, on my own, and formed a trust to streamline all that kind of stuff for my brothers and sisters when I eventually conk out somehow. I know how hard it is to set these things up after the fact, and so I know you will be going through a lot of hassles in the next few months.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.