Big sale: what should i buy?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Big sale: what should i buy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Big sale: what should i buy?

K, there's a big sale with like 65% off art materials in a store opening and since i'm an art material noob, i'm just wondering what kind of things would be good for a beginner to get.

I'm talking paints, brushes, paper, or whatever. I don't know what the hell i'm buying so a little advice will help since it's only for 1 day and i have 1 hour if i juggle everything like mad.

Are there any special paints or brushes i should get. Is it advisable to get oils or watercolour or this gourache i've heard of.
    And is there some kind of paper that is preferable to other paper.

And you were once a noob too so don't say something like "google it" cause that makes no sense. I'm asking for opinions on what would be smart for a starter with a near 65% discount on all items to buy.

The sale

Similar Threads
    Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My common sense says to make a list of everything you think you might want to try, then buy the most expensive things during the sale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k, but i dont really know anything about paint. So should i just buy oils and watercolours. and some brushes.

Current Projects:

I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you've never painted at all I'd get a cheap set of gouache and some synthetic brushes.

-not as technical as oils, no thinners, mediums etc to worry about
    -won't kill your brushes if you let it dry on them like acrylic would
    -water washable, won't stick to your cat
    -cheap to start with, nothing fancy required just paint, brush, thick paper/card, water. If you find you loathe painting you've only spent 20 quid.

I wouldn't just buy stuff for the hell of it. 65% is a good discount but it's easy to buy stuff you won't ever actually need, especially when starting.
    I still have a pile of unused materials from my college days that seemed like a good idea at the time..

I'm not sure you're going to get much help on this one I'm afraid, it's kinda like asking what cds to get in a sale at a record shop without telling us what music you like..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, i can see what you mean. I'll go with the Gouache for now and the synthetic brushes.

Thank for the help guys.

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the other hand, if you're determined to go on a shopping spree and convinced you'll be doing a fair bit of traditional work over the years, certain things are always likely to come in handy..

-pencils, traditional, mechanical, variety of hardnesses
    -kneadable putty rubbers
    -good metal sharpener
    -charcoal sticks / fixative
    -long safety ruler
    -T-square / set square / compasses, y'know high school math set stuff.
    -drawing board clips (some people prefer stationery shop bulldog clips)
    -Stanley knife (get the heavy steel one with spare blades in the handle, expensive but lasts forever)
    -masking tape

Note: these are just the items I personally find myself using regularly, your mileage may vary..

Last edited by Flake; September 28th, 2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typos

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget canvas/boards/paper to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k, are there different types of canvases, boards and paper or will any do.

And what's a fixative?
    And how do i tell if a sharpener is good?

Thank you both very much, i'm going to make a list of the items i dont have and try to get them all. After that i just need a table proper.

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just buy what you need to use instead of buying because they are cheap.
    You'll save more that way.

Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fixative is a spray can that you apply to artwork with mediums that smudges (ie: charoal, pastel,pencil), which usually prevents said medium to smudge/smear on other surfaces or itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

You should allocate a budget and plan before you go to the store.

Say, if you afford a budget of US$300, then go to the store and spend the hell out of this US$300 on the most possible stuff that you think you'll be using, now and in the future.

After all, these oils and paints and brushes etc can be kept for a hell long of a time. 65%?!!! Damn, I wished my local art store has shit like this.

You lucky man, you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I had a free moment so I went through your sketchbook. Keep in mind I don't know you, and all I have to go on is this: It seems like you've got a good ability to draw from observation that you've only just begun to really develop. You're still at an experimental stage, and you seem into learning the figure. So, here is my advice.

1. An art sale is nice, but how much money do you have right now to devote to this? Are you loaded?
    2. Do you have any studio space set up to use this stuff? How safe are your purchases going to be from your niece, for example? I'm building a studio, and when done, it's going to have a lock.

3. You can progress a lot with just xerox paper and a pencil. You've started with the Bridgeman exercises, which is good. Keep that up and mix it up with more work from life - still lifes, and self portraits. Practice drawing facial feature studies, and then your whole head from different angles.

4. You're at the experimental stage, so you want to try everything. Don't ask what the best paper and pencils are, buy a little of each and try it. Mix it together and see what works. Definately get some compressed charcoal, markers, pastels, pens. Buy a ton of sketchbooks large and small - some that you can carry with you, and some you can mount on a clipboard. Get different kinds of paper and experiment.

5. Paints are a great idea. Try a cheap watercolor set, but also think about oils or acrylics. The differences between them are: acrylics dry fast and become plastic/rubbery when dry. Meaning they're fairly resistant to stress. Oils take a long time to dry, and become brittle when dry, meaning they're more at risk of cracking, especially on canvas. There are liquids (mediums) you can add to either to prolong or decrease the drying period. For acrylics, I recommend Golden paints, because you can see on each tube if it's transparent or opaque (they have a dab of the color over a barcode to show you), and Golden bases these decisions on oil paints - so if you buy cadmium red from Golden, it'll be as opaque as a cadmium red oil tube.

A good set of colors, regardless of kind and brand are:
    a warm red such as cadmium, and a cool red such as magenta
    a warm yellow like a cadmium, and a cool one like a hanza or lemon
    a warm blue like ultramarine, and a cool one like pthalo
    lots of titanium white, and a black - lamp black is a good transparent one.

NOTE: sometimes you'll see the word "hue" attached to a name, like "pthalo hue". Avoid these cheaper, student quality paints. All it means is they took some ultramarine and some white, or a bit of green and pre-mixed it. But it won't mix properly when you work.

With either acrylic or oil, get yourself a good paper palette (disposable sheets), or invest in a wood one, however you like. You'll need paper towels and soap for cleaning, and a large tub of gesso to prepare your surfaces.

With watercolours, it depends on if you get a set in it's own tray or if you buy tubes. The tubes are small, but don't worry they should last a long time. If you go with tubes, buy a large tray and squeeze a bit at different areas in the tray - AND NEVER WASH IT. Those colors can dry in the tray and still be usable forever. Just use the middle areas for mixing, and wipe them down when done. Watercolors also need paper towels which you can use for blotting and markmaking right on your painting - great for clouds.

The main thing with painting, regardless of the kind of paint, is that the palette stays relatively the same, but the most important way to experiment is with the surface you use and the tools you paint with.

Watercolor - don't buy the most expensive Arches paper yet, until you've learned what you can do with the cheaper brands. Get a wide variety of brushes and try to use each one individually, experimenting, before you try to mix them all up. Definately a good sable brush - the biggest you can find with a fine tip - is a great buy, and you can practice thick to thin strokes, etc. Try other things, though as well. An old credit card, for example, can be a great markmaking tool with watercolors. Or the hard end of a brush. There are also artists who watercolor over oil-based ink drawings, and the effects are beautiful.

With acrylic and oils, you can get canvas boards, pieces of masonite, prestretched canvases (usually as cheap as it'd be to make one yourself), illustration board, canvas paper, etc. With any of these you should prep it with gesso before starting, and if you want a smooth surface, scrape the gesso into the pores/fibers with a palette knife.

On the subject of the figure, I'd love to have my own model skeleton, and a full length mirror. I intend to get both for my studio. Again, ask yourself how much money you want to committ to this, because spending cash is the easiest part of any project, and it's no guarantee of success.

Along with all this buying, look at a ton of art, see what you like, and ask yourself, how was this made? Recently, I saw a sketchpage in Clochette's sketchbook thread that made me think, hmmm, I'd love to just get a red colored pencil and start drawing foliage.

Last edited by TASmith; September 29th, 2009 at 04:14 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TASmith - Thanks for the great information. I've made a short list of things to consider.
    But what is gesso, cadmium, and masonite?

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesso- traditional surface primer for oil on panels, these days most people use it to mean "acrylic gesso" or primer. The acrylic stuff can be used on canvas as well as panel and won't crack like "real" gesso would.

Cadmium = a paint containing cadmium, typically bright, warm, eg cad red, cad yellow. Not good for you, don't eat it.

Masonite = US trade name for a kind of hardboard / fibreboard that many people like to paint on.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info Flake.

I think i know what i'm going to be getting. Now i just need to get a table lol.
    I wonder how mad my art teachers will get for me skipping class to buy art materials. ^_^

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    they'll only be mad if you don't tell them about the sale - if they knew, the'd probably ask you to buy something for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depending on how much of a beginner you actually are, and what you already have, I'd angle for getting a good deal on some big ticket items. While paint is expensive, you can pick it up a tube at a time later even without the discount. Get a good table, chair, easel, light box, desk lamp, etc.

Speaking of desk lamps, if they have a "combo light" get one! It's a MUST for doing color work. It's essentially a florescent light and an incandescent light put into one. It gives you the closest to a neutral light as you'll get in a lamp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TASmith - They're the ones who told me about it. I asked my teacher and he basically said he can't tell me to skip class, but i should do what i've got to do. Not in those words exactly but i think i have a go ahead.

J Wilson - thanks for the info. Although the more stuff i hear about the more it sounds like you guys are making it up lol. I'll look into this light combo.

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by teohyc View Post
    Just buy what you need to use instead of buying because they are cheap.
    You'll save more that way.
    Good advice here. It's very easy to get sucked into buying more than you need because of a good deal.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhofferle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well i went and the first thing i did was go WTF, i dont know what the hell im doing. There was so many different paints it was ridiculous, all the tools, and dangerous looking clear liquids. So may people buying stuff like pros, three floors, canvases, CHAOS. So i asked a worker and she helped me understand the list i wrote and i got the hang of it for now.
    And art stuff is so expensive, if there wasn't a sale i wouldn't have been able to buy anything.

Winsor & Newton acrylics 12x20ml tubes for £12.95. RRP £30.00
    Daler Rowney acrylic brushes £9.95 RRP £35.05
    Acrylic Pad £3.95 RRP£5.15
    Compressed Charcoal £4.95
    A5 Sketchpad £3.25 RRP £6.75
    Wood Palette £3.50 RRP £5.00

And for Free
    An A4 Sketchpad
    A4 Cream Leather Hardback Sketchbook.
    21ml Tube of Indigo oil colour.

Total: £86.90
    Discounted to £33.something with my Student discount on top. Excluding the free items.

Paint Colours: Lemon yellow
    Azo yellow medium
    Naphthol red light
    Permanent alizarin crimson
    Ultramarine blue
    Phthalo blue red shade
    Phthalo green blue shade
    Olive green
    Yellow ochre
    Raw umber
    Titanium white
    Mars black.

I checked out the Golden paints, but they either didn't have the colours mentioned or i just suck. I'd bet on the latter.

Thanks everyone who helped, if you never gave me advice i would have made so many mistakes and bought things i didn't even need.

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You did well, now, go play with them... and tell me when the next sale is!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.