Sketchbook: Colt's Sketchbook (nudity occasionally) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like them. I see where are you going and what you want to achieve. You still need practice but i can sense some fast improvement with some practice. I would suggest to try to paint with photo refs of landscapes, buildings, some details like trees, grass, sky, etc. With this practice you will learn how different object/materials look and behave in real life(that is why you should try with photo ref)
    Then you should try to find on this forums some threads/tuts about planes(f.e. you have many images that have same contrast and details in foreground and background)
    Also, don't use lo res photos. Especially is you strech them bad pixels will be seen.

When you paint use color from image(photo) it self. That is also good practice.
    I would recommend Dylan Cole dvd's. He is one of best matte painters, and he use allot of painting(you will be suprised how easy this looks, and his brush strokes are so loose) in his matte paintings.

Hope this helps

M

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for having a look at my paintings Mateja!!! I was almost about to forget about making matte paintings, because the first attempts looked that crappy, but anytime I see what other artists like you for example are capeable to draw, I push myself to give it another try.

You're right about using foto references. I should first learn how to copy and then make it from my mind. I know the basics of painting, but I have way to few practice. Haven't painted for more than 10 years, before going into digital art.

About high resolution fotos, well they're very hard to get, at least if you prefer free ones. Without any premium membership at texture sites you hardly get anything over 2000-3000 pixel x pixel. I will see if I can get that Dylan Cole DVD or something similar. Btw. that loose brush strokes is something I really lack of and envy other artists for. I always try to paint very precise, because I don't know any better.

I will try to get some good base material and start a new one and show step by step of my progress. Hopefully I'll be able to improve my technique a bit!!!

Greets, Colt!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Colt!

Whacky game character you have there eheh

Regarding the matte paints. There's something you must keep in mind: usually, the foreground is a finely rendered 3d object, or live footage, or both. Its very very hard to paint something in the foreground and hope that it copes with the photo-realistic material.

One of the secrets is that you don't paint (or paint very very little) in the foreground. Because its what matte paints are all about: producing a backdrop to support the filmed action in a movie

-------------------------------------------------
    SKETCHBOOK

MorArt - Portfolio

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx man, guess you're right. I'm comming from a 3D-modeler background before I started digital painting. Maybe I should make use of that and produce some nice high resolution stuff in zbrush for the foreground of my paintings. I'll definately give that a try!!!

Greets, Colt!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Colt!!

great images,
    i love those in-game characters!

Totally agree with Mateja on those tips he gave you!
    I think if you keep on practising you will do great stuff for sure!

And thank you for continious support man!))

good luck!
    let the force be with you!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx my friend!!! Although I'm keen on improving my own skills, for me drawing and 3D-modeling is just a hobby. But I respect those artist like yourself, who work very hard every day to get to the professional level. And as I'm addicted yet to continously getting new eyecandy stuff, supporting good artists in here is in my personal interest, LOL!!!

Greets, Colt!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hay man, back again.
    that game character is well cool.
    if this is just a hobby, what do you do full time???

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clockworksnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi mate, sry for the late reply, haven't been here that often during last weeks. I'm actually working on a game project, which involves me as a 3D-modeler, so I got no time to paint anything besides textures.

I'm a professional masseuse/ physiotherapist. Have studied arts and graphics for some time, but that is more than a decade ago. That time I did quit art school, because it sucked and tried to become a free artist. Well, I failed terribly, lol!!!

Greets, Colt!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook I keep wondering though if you actually paint from scratch or blend stock photos and paint them over? Either way, it looks great

By the way, I read in a different thread that you're from the "Pott"? So am I

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have been away for a while, but now I will be here again more frequently. Well, here's some new stuff: A digital painting and a matte painting (in progress...) which I will use for camera mapping to make a small video sequence.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.