C.O.W.# 156 -- Red Hot Doom -- VOTING! - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Red Hot Doom !

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • ActsOfBob

8 7.84%
  • evolvingeye

1 0.98%
  • dwinbotp

38 37.25%
  • lkjhgfdsa

18 17.65%
  • mythril golem

2 1.96%
  • Death By Chris

1 0.98%
  • Lander

22 21.57%
  • Doomsupporter

11 10.78%
  • MEMPER

1 0.98%
  • scorge

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Smolderer

Artist: crustibian

Concept: The smolderer has the world’s hottest blood. Sometimes it’s thick, rocky hide keeps the internal heat under control. Most of the time it does not. The smolderer’s surroundings are almost always reduced to bare scorched land. The phrase “Brave enough to hug a smolderer” refers to someone who is seriously injured or killed doing something stupid.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crustibian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: darkly

Concept: Dragnoth

They came from the land of the never ending fire.
    The Dragnoth left nothing but ash in their wake.
    They surly are the devil's pets.

Name:  COW#156_red_hot_doom_darkly.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  290.0 KB

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to darkly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incendiary Canary

Artist: trickynick1001

The Incendiary Canary is seldom seen, yet well known, due to its destructive habits. This bird thrives in grasslands. Here it ignites the dry grasses, and then catches small mammals and insects as they escape the blaze.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Vampire Ninja

Concept: Fire Breathing Bat Mammoth!

C.O.W.# 156 -- Red Hot Doom -- VOTING!

Deep in the Caves of a mystical Island rests the Red Hot Doom of the Fire Breathing Mammoth Bat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Scorge

Concept: Lava Titan
    Millions of years old, these ancient and testy beasts scour the inner crust of the earth, waiting for their time to burst forth and wreak havoc and destruction on the denizens of the world. Pushing their enormous lava filled gut, they burn through the earth's crust, spewing red hot death and destruction. Believed to have come from deep within the core, these mighty creatures arise when the time has come for the cleansing of the earth, so that it may start anew and create new varietys of life.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: n1va

Concept: Infernal Orb
    The infernal orb is the highest order of the Beholder species, their name comes from their affinity for the fire element. These evil monstrocities reach increadible size and never stop growing, though their rate of growth does slow down with age. While these creatures can consume flesh their primary sustenance is derived from the absorption of the souls of their victims, preferrably ones of magical origin.

Name:  20091001-Red-Hot-DOOM.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  132.3 KB

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Izer

Concept: Draconian ''Tri-Burst'' Surpuhnt
    There have been races who idolized these creatures, prayed to them, and even tried to harness their power. Try as they mite these ''people'', there are only scorched idols and monuments left to tell their tales. Tales written in ash...

I added head close ups, but wasn't sure if ''one post'' meant just one final or just one image per final. It can be removed if Is a violation.Name:  cow156wip3ca.gif
Views: 1268
Size:  252.2 KB
    Creature heads close ups.
    Name:  cow156wipheads.gif
Views: 1205
Size:  212.4 KB

Last edited by Izer; October 3rd, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: sketchius

Concept: Reaping Inferno

Known for its scythe-like forearms and molten drool, the Reaping Inferno is a fiery menace best avoided.

Name:  RedHotDoom_Sketchius2.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by sketchius; October 4th, 2009 at 03:48 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sketchius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ghūl

Concept: Red Dawn

Feasts on the dying at the end of battles, it is the last thing they see.

Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi - "An ounce of practice is worth more then tons of preaching."

Blog

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghūl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lavaburst Bug

Artist: Jlind11

Concept: Lavaburst Bug

C.O.W.# 156 -- Red Hot Doom -- VOTING!

The lavaburst bug lives in the temperate regions of its homeworld. It is most known for its strange method of reproduction. When eaten its body releases a chemical that converts the digestive juices of the predator into a liquid that is superhot like lava. This liquid also expands at a rapid rate, overflowing into the other internal systems and out the bodily openings, thus the unfortunate creature meets a red hot doom. However this event is crucial for the lavaburst bug: while being eaten the critter releases heat-resistant eggs that incubate in the smoldering corpse. When they hatch the young burrow under the leaf litter, feeding on freshly dropped leaves and fruit; the purple and greenish fur camoflages them. When they mature and mate eggs are laid in both parents increasing the chances of proagation. The large bald spot also appears on their backside so they are easier to spot by predators; coupled with sweet tasting flesh they become an easy target. One would think creatures would eventually catch on to the after effects of eating these critters, however the lava-chemicals have a delayed reaction of 4-5 mins., and the predators aren't cleaver enough to connect snacking on these tasty little guys with erupting.

Last edited by jlind11; October 4th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jlind11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All righty. You may have noticed things in the poll are looking slightly different than usual. I guess this week the real Red Hot Doom is me... or perhaps I am the Red Hand of Doom or the Red Mod of Doom. Call me names, I can take it.

I'm doing something a little different this week. Overall, I've been a little disappointed with the entries this week (and quite frankly weeks past, but I haven't had the time till now to invest in working the poll this way until now...). I feel like some folks have been phoning in sub-standard entries, some folks have been bending some of the rules, and too often folks are thinking around the topic too much rather than really trying to concentrate on the real focus for which COW is here... designing cool, new creatures that clearly and VISUALLY convey the week's topic.

I've also received both privately and publically repeated feedback that some participants are concerned that the voting here has a lot less to do with the quality of the entries and a lot more to do with friends voting for their friends.

So, I decided to make a few cuts. Actually, I decided that ten, and only ten entires would make it to the poll this week. And it was really tough making those cuts. As I worked on this yesterday and today I kept coming up with 11 and 12, but I wanted to stick to my original plan. Based on the quality of the entries, whether or not the artist followed the classic COW rules we repeat and repeat each week, the originality of the creature designs, and the ability of the artist to visually communicate this weeks topic were the criteria on which I made my cuts.

You'll notice how often in this post I keep stressing the idea of visually communicating the topic for the week. To be perfectly frank, I didn't read a single one of the descriptions this week. The written descriptions are like interesting bits of data you can include to flesh out the history or biology of your creature... but if your artwork isn't clearly hitting the week's topic, you can't write yourself out of that corner. It's not enough to tell us your creature fits the topic. You have to show us.

There are a couple entries I really liked, but did not make it to the poll. Evil Sloth: I really like your illustration, but your design is just too humanoid. I know there have been plenty of instances where the humanoid rule gets bent, but your entry's anatomy just reads 'human female' too much.

And n1va: nobody more than me adores a new Beholder variant. They are my all time favorite Dungeons and Dragons monsters along with the mind flayer. But, at the end of the day, your Beholder is not an original idea, just a revision of an old idea. Because I am restricting myself to ten entries only, I had to make the cut. I really did hem and haw over this one. (I like the painterly way you've rendered it, and am a huge fan of the critter.)

So there we are. You've got my top ten to choose from, but there can be only one. Vote and make it count. Think about the things that I have discussed above both when choosing your favorite Red Hot Doom and before you begin your entry for next week.

Will I be so savage with the cuts next week? I don't know, to be honest. I'm going to play it by ear. If I see a marked increase in folks trying to work harder and smarter, you will find me being a bit more generous when I set up the poll. If I feel like people are sliding in with half-hearted entries, I may be just as harsh as this week.

All righty. So... I'm working on the next topic and hope to have it up within the hour...

Feedback, thoughts, concerns, rotten tomatoes... feel free to send them all my way.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shame I didn't make it in, I understand Michael why you cut it out though. Unlike last time when I made the dragon I decided to just push forward with the concept I liked better and didn't have time to create a completely original critter.

Beholders are cool, thanks for the kind words.

Anyways, excellent entries, I once again voted for Doomsupporter. I don't know but I'm drawn to your style dooms, keep it up! Cheers!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael: No worries mate, thanks for the explanation.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Evil_Sloth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Lander's. Alot of good entries, but Lander's struck me immediately as giant alien doom-slinging creature of...well, DOOM! Even in the sketch stage, I could see this. It also looked hot and terrifying.

Lu

25. The Following User Says Thank You to luvazquez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for lkjhgfdsa, great over all feel to it, has everything the topic asked for and more. Also liked dwinbotp's great creature design and i like the bg, i didn't noticed before that there are more then one creature there, like they are guarding something or lining up to attack, just cool.

@Michael Jaecks , i think that it's a bit difficult to really say as far as this topic is concerned that there was a lack of communicating this topic, it was only 3 words, a bit limiting, even though it seemed like free rein.

Not sure about most people here but the quality for the amount of people that participate seems even or over, say compared to other weekly challenges like CHOW (no offense to the participants), we just have less people participating, but imo some better quality designs with the ratio to the less quality ones, mostly because we are not limited to just human/humanoids.

Yeah agree with you on the descriptions, if the creature concept isn't done well, it means squat.

Oh also is there a way you can delete all but the ones in the poll on this thread?, so viewers don't have to sift through all the non-poll entries. Just mite make it easier. Finals thread should do fine to see the rest.

On a personal note, i didn't expect to get to poll, i missed the planned dead-line. Great work to those who did and all the participated, hope to see more people next time.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Izer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Sir Michael Jaecks, as a frequent lurker and part time community art teacher in my local area, I would first like to thank you among others here at CA.org for the wonderful job you're doing here and managing these weekly competitions. These COWS CHOWS EOWS all serve as a tool here for the students aspiring to become great artists in their future. Although most of the students love designing characters, I find a lot more of them seemed to be more adept at creating monster and alien-like creatures. I absolutely agree that your "non humanoid" rule is a great way to expand the imagination & creativity of a monster/creature design/concept. Kudos for this idea.

As for cuts, I think it is only natural, as with grading grades, the same rules apply. Quality over quantity in my opinion is a must. It is encouraging to see many entries every week but the bar must be set high given the nature of these mini competitions. How would one strive to improve?

As for votes, it is a subjective matter to like another art over another one's but for the past winners' entries, There was little room to doubt why they won. Sure there will always be friends or allies to give a friend a nudge or two but not so much as to create such an imbalance. If many vote for a low quality piece just because they're bosom buddies, then shame on them. again quality above else.

Lastly, more power to you good folks doing this for everyone's benefit. Thank you, we are grateful! And to those who participate,we're always looking forward to what you guys come up with each time win or lose, all winners in my book!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Izer: IMO, it seems to me that there are entires here that really nail the topic, there are some that sort of skirt around the topic partially (looking "hot" but not really very red or inspiring much "doom") and there are some that just completely miss it all together.

In my own working experience, I find that even when a client hands me a very detailed brief to work from (which is my responsiblity to 'nail') there is still plenty of wiggle room within which to express myself creatively. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. Conversely, I think three words (Red, Hot, Doom) could easily inspire a thousand pictures. So from my viewpoint, even within the entries that I think most successfully conveyed the topic "Red Hot Doom" there is ample variety to the designs. Open ended the topic was, but that doesn't leave one open to doing whatever one wants. Or rather, the phrase 'open to interpretation' does not mean 'open to ANYTHING.'

As far as deleting those that didn't make it to poll... no... I think people should be encouraged to compare and contrast what hits and what misses.

Also, know that this week does not neccessarily create a new policy in COW. I won't be cutting us down to ten as a rule every week. I'm playing that by ear.

Okay... I gotta quit responding to PMs and this thread for a bit or I will never get a new topic up tonight...

UPDATE: Here's the new topic -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=170522

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; October 4th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see I made the cut phew... thanks coach. I voted for Dwinbotp I really liked the powerful beastial design of his creature and the environment to complement it, well done. Other favs of mine were lkjhgfdsa and lander. lkjhgfdsa creature had a very ominous and powerful surreal feel to it and Lander's entry was just really original.

Here are some of my thoughts on the contest any chance we could get thumbnails in the poll like they do in the CHOW threads? or even make the artists name in the poll a link to jump to their post for quick viewing?

In retrospect mine could have been a little more red hot haha, good luck everyone.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DeathByChris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a really fun round. With each week I like doing these c.o.w.s more and more, you can really learn a lot from this. I voted dwinbotp, absolutely awesome imo. Close behind were DeathByChris and ActsOfBob. On to the next round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought a while about what I wanted to say here.
    While I disagree with some of the decisions, I will abide by the ruling of the true professionals. The professionals, who I hope to one day join.
    (no, I will not be staging some kind of art coup d'état)
    You have some valid and logical points, but I just feel that excluding some people was a little harsh, or maybe just a little sudden and unexpected.
    As for the voting process, I was not aware of what you described as somewhat less than honest voting practices. But that is probably something that can never be completely avoided.
    That being said, I will endeavor to improve both my ideas and abilities for the following COW.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Michael Jaecks , no need to respond to this, do your thing. i don't disagree with anything you've said, just see with different eyes. The poll thing was just a suggestion, i had a hard time finding the ppl on the poll, figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

@LJaydemos, Hey come and join us if you get time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for lkjhgfdsa. Its red, its hot, and its full of doom! I would be terrified to see something like that emerge from the earth, definitely apocalyptic...
    Close second is dwinbotp
    Great job everyone!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenorekitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Lander, because what doesn't spell out red hot doom like an overheated, city-sized extraterrestrial?

I'll be posting critiques on everyone's work as soon as I get the time to examine them all.

@Micheal Jaeks: While I admit that I was a bit bewildered and miffed when I first read through your announcement/explanation, I completely agree with your decision. I know that we should all be striving for our best in everything we do. I still have issues with it (mostly in regards to judging an entry soley on image, without consideration of concept description), but I believe that your actions will benefit us in the long run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Michael Jaecks: I agree with your decision and as a first time participant (who also didn't make the cut) I find myself wanting to work harder and smarter on this next COW to convey the message directly. Keep up the high standards, looking forward to "Wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy".

I voted for Dwinbotp, his beastly Flaming Taurus just felt massive and to see a herd of those coming towards me would be terrifying.

Demonsupporter was my 2nd and lkjhgfdsa was my 3rd.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ActOfBob because I love the texture on the creature. Just looked more unique to me and kept more red than my second fav. Tough decision though.

Yeah it was my first attempt and I didn't make the cut But I do feel that this should be a regular thing (only voting for the top 10). I will try to make the top 10 next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote will have to go to Lander for a great idea, carried out nicly!
    I must say though, that I love Fuseboy's

...and don't forget to check the Teen Challenge

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seferian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted lander cos the doom is undeniable and it hits on red and hot too
    others i really liked and wished i had more votes for:
    dwinbotp- i love the render and bulk but that horn just doesn't do anything for me
    memper- that creature is just awesome, like a rusty furnace got possessed by a demon XD also gets my brain thinking about targete so nice work man.
    lkjhgfdsa- evil hyper shrimp, what's not to like. really nice touch with the trains.
    doom supporter- another amazing pic and design, my only problem with it was the skulls at the end of the protrusions, just way too corny imo
    walnut- from the first sketch i thought it was gonna be some kinda organic artillery, love the design. would have been cool to see this pushed further.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand sub-standard. However, I feel that with art their is a fine line when judging "Sub-standard" What one person sees as sub-standard another might see as a different style. For instance, I really like sketchius's piece. It may not look as finished as some of the others, but I just interpreted that as a different style.

As far as missing the mark, I think that may be a bit harsh this week, as part of the description was, "Pretty open for interpretation". It may have been better to leave a little less room for interpretation when making cuts for lacking on interpretation. I didn't realize it was necessary to have a creature that looked like it was pure lava-esque fire. I figured that as long as it killed things with fire it met the standard for red hot doom. But then I guess it's entirely possible that my piece wasn't good enough.

Warning would have been nice. I put a lot of work into my piece. There's a lot of personal work I could have been doing this week. I think that's the main reason I'm personally offended.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I understand you know what you're doing. I'm just disappointed. I didn't realize that I might not even make it to the poll.

P.S. I do realize that there is a clause in the rules that say no WIPS, sketches, or rushed artwork... But there is nothing for skill level. I honestly feel like some pieces were left out as "phoned in" when it may have been a skill level issue.

Last edited by Bonedaddycash; October 5th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for dwinbotp RED HOT!

other faves were ilkjhgfdsa and actsofBob, I loved lander's piece too, but I cannot imagine it as a species but more of a boss creature(that would be cool as hell)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I'm going to be completely honest. Call me what you will. I'm assuming mine was cut from the poll due to it being too humanoid which I , in most cases, would understand. However I think that the timing of letting us know how strict this particular round would be after the poll has been set up is poor timing.

Now I could continue to piss and moan, but the fact of the matter truely is this. You guys and this website are my main outlet for art. If I'm not receiving feedback, encouragement, or helpful critiques then it becomes a useless tool. Now I'm fairly happy with my piece in how in turned out and that I spent my friday night working on it than doing something else. Am I a little upset that it didn't make it to the poll? Sure, but I understand. In all I guess I'm just a little disappointed. I felt like I worked hard on this one and .......

Alright I'm posting all that for posterity's sake. But I think I'm done with COW (at least for a while) Good luck to the rest of you. My best wishes! And I do mean this sincerely despite how it may read to some, thank you Michael Jaecks for being the admin. I apreciate all your hard work!

Nate

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3