Critique requested - Firestarter
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique requested - Firestarter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique requested - Firestarter

Hey all its been a while since I posted. But I am in need of your very helpful critiques once again.

Keeping in mind the lessons from last time, I've concentrated on creating a dramatically lit scene. I incorporated more dynamic poses and a tilted horizon to suggest movement. It is also (I think) my first attempt at multiple figures interacting in this way. I've just discovered the potential of some of these devices and I feel my work in general needs to incorporate more movement. I was feeling adventurous so I tackled it all at once. After taking a break from color work for a while, It would be great to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion on this one.

Any suggestions, comments or critiques are very welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Chris

Oh and disregard the title... I was listening to Prodigy and it seemed like a good one at the time. I'll come up with something else later..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CReach; September 27th, 2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: attached thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep in mind when you've got such a powerful light source, such as the fire, at such a close proximity, its going to cast long shadows, and a lot of detail should be lost in them. remember that shadows will have a smaller value range. this whole thing needs its values pushed! dont be afraid to use those dark darks and light lights in this situation (dont overkill, though)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stoph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. The first thing that jumps out at me that needs work is the fire. It doesn't look hot (lighting contrast), it doesn't look real (color and shape), and it isn't integrated well into the scene. The giant's upstroke would certainly affect the flames as close as he is. I would think that stroke would have gone right through the fire on the way up. Some displacement of the flames as a whole and a trail of sparks and flames would look nice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Polygon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the feedback. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, last few days were busy and on top of that I wanted to rework a lot of things with the image.

Stoph, thanks man, whenever it comes to color work I find my values get too mid-toned. Its a bad habit, and hopefully the last time I need someone to beat that fact into me (although I do appreciate it haha). The values seem a lot more believable now, and what a difference.

Dr. Polygon, excellent call on the fire. There's me being lazy and not looking at reference. It is looking better, I think, but I know I still need to work on it. Just figured I'd post my update so far.

So besides addressing your suggestions, I also re-cropped the image and, sadly, removed the girl paladin/knight/whatever. Although I liked her, she really had nothing to do with the story. I slanted the image a bit more, and changed some of the costumes.
    Now we're left with a Giant smashing up a party of goblins. As it should be.

I gotta work on the rendering a bit more but didn't want to keep you waiting.
    Thanks again guys, excellent advice I'm much happier with the direction it is going now. Of course, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.
    -CR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far. I really like how there is a strong visual movement from the goblin being owned, to the fire and finally to the arm. I wonder if by adding a few more embers or simply rending them out more will enhance that movement.

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eclypse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad you took the girl out, her weapon was making a funny tangent with the giant's jacket.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to illustrateth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Update because I'm getting tired of sitting here and need to get a run in.

I resolved much of the background, cleaned up the fire and ground, and figured out what the tree branches were doing in the middle ground.

I'm going to fix the trees and camp fire up a bit more and then hit the characters up.
    The giant has gone bald between last night and today, but that won't be permanent. His hair was stupid so I need to fix it.
    I think I'll also add some more "kit" to him. Maybe a hatchet on a belt, some food (squirrels?), etc.

D.aligh and Dragonroseart, thank you both very much for the comments and suggestions.
    I'll post another update later tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok done for today, but I think its going in a much better direction now. The giant's clothing is more practical, and he may stay bald.
    Or I might add some longer hair flying around, echoing the movement of the fire etc. Just might be tight on space for that. Damn I need to plan these out better...

Started working on the foreground, finished up most of the BG and mid ground.

Any c&c at this point would be great.
    There is a patch of land that blends in with his kilt, behind the fire that makes the giant look completely lopsided. That fix is on tomorrow's menu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might be waiting until this end to do this, but I feel like all the characters should have a lot more orange/yellow reflect light from the fire. Like in the above picture someone posted the people are basically completely orange. This is not a pitch black night scene it seems (it looks like twilight/dusk I'm guessing) but still.

Anyways I thought I'd just throw that out there just in case. Hope to see your progress and Good luck! = )

My Website <--- Still under construction = (

My Deviant Art

My Sketchbook

My Facebook <--- Feel free to add me! = )

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kittens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Orange-ification

Thanks kittens.
    Very true. It needed more orange. And contrast.

I learn more on these forums than I did in four years of school (or at least the critiques are a hell of a lot better). Thank you all and keep them coming and keep them honest.

Have a good weekend all.
    -CR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey

For me, the pictures looks to cold.
    I think the fire is biig and also the air is hot from the fire!
    I've done a OverPaint, i just played with the colour balance, and i think now it has a better atmosphere.
    If you don't want this OP, i delete this post ^^

Nice Greetings, Silwynar

[Edit:]
    What has the giant in his hands?
    A piece of wood?
    Perhaps you can give him a "Burning" piece of wood, which he picked up from the fire!

Last edited by Lukas Esch; October 3rd, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: An Idea :D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks amazing! The giant's pose, however, looks awkward and looks like he is stepping into the fire. Nice piece.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.