Graveyard

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Graveyard

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graveyard

Hi guys, would really love to hear your thoughts on this, it's work in progress but i'm just kinda noodling away at the moment.... I love those matte concept "sketches" Dusso does, this started as one but I got sucked in....

Started as a forrest sketch, added gravestones, bit of a flood....

So, good bad, let me hear it!

Thanks

WIP at the bottom

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rosewarne; September 27th, 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: updates
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont know what to look at. thats the problem with "noodling away", you have no clear composition, i have no idea what i am supposed to see.

as a background image for lets say an adventuregame it's fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see the DUSSO influence, but it doesn't feel like a ripoff, so good job! I agree with Kfeeras that there isn't really any focal point, which makes it great as a general enviro or background but somewhat limits its interest. Nicely rendered overall, though. The tilting of the trees may be a little heavy-handed...I'd probably tilt them back upward a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the background, however the foreground could use a little more detail and darker, more saturated color. I would also try to define the water a little more, as this is a weird place for a stream (yeah I know its a "flood") and detailing some ripples, splashes, reflections could help people read it.
    I love the atmosphere, and the color palette is really working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, thanks for your comments, really appreciate them..

Kfeeras - So true, this image had no clear composition from the start and is there fore a weak image, was just trying out a forrest colour palette and rolled with it....

Datamiester - thanks dude, agree with you...

Duman - Thanks for your comments, I worked up the contrast and sat, basically took the image further.....

So..... ok, this was a compositionally weak image from the start which is probably why it was kicking my ass all over the place! But, I'm a fighter and I think I've pulled it back.... Still just an environment rendering really, nothing exciting but I think it has a good mood.....

Anyways, again love to hear what you think of round 2!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, looking at this I may have over done the white highlights a touch.... Will check again in the morning....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think so, it looks like bright moonlight. Gives it even more atmosphere. I would really like to see some process shots. Mostly because I really wish I could paint like that. Any tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP shots would indeed be great, but keep in mind that DUSSO himself has some Gnomon DVDs that you can check out if you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I softened some of the highlight edges this morning having viewed it with fresh eyes... though overall I'm quite pleased with it.... Prefer to move onto a new image now.

Duman - Thanks man, tips? hmmm, one thing I'm finding useful at the moment is to keep knocking the whites back, I don't know how to do this without flattening the image so if anyone know please tell me, but duplicate the canvas and set it to multiply, reduce the opacity accordingly, I usually take it down to about 20% and build up the highlights again. Subtlety is not my my strong point but I'm playing with less is more and this a good way to avoid jumping too far too fast with the lighting....

I picked up a great trick from a Levente Peterffy vid, a great way to come up with a new colour palette or play to colours against each other is to pick two strong colours, like a red and blue, so your foreground colour is red and background is blue in the colur tab, then create a new adjustment layer>gradient map. This will fill one dominant light area with one colour and a dark area with another, then play with the layer modes, I like overlay or softlight, bring the opacity slider down.... I find it's a great way to get the "warm light = cold shadows" and vise versa at any stage, also just to come up with new colour shifts....

Datamiester - thanks, I have his dvds, was really disappointed with the matte concept sketch dvd when I fist got it, but now it's one of my faves.... Shows you that just using the right colours and a basic brush you can pull off something great in a short time, as you've noticed it's something I've been trying lately - it kicks my ass sometimes but I feel like I'm making progress....

Anyway, heres a WIP sequence, enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great. I'm loving the most recent color palette, it has a GREAT mood to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosewarne View Post
    Datamiester - thanks, I have his dvds, was really disappointed with the matte concept sketch dvd when I fist got it, but now it's one of my faves.... Shows you that just using the right colours and a basic brush you can pull off something great in a short time, as you've noticed it's something I've been trying lately - it kicks my ass sometimes but I feel like I'm making progress....
    Oh, I was just letting Duman know - I figured you must have the DVDs already. Yeah, I had high hopes for the concept sketch DVD, and then I was very disappointed by some things about it (e.g. the unhelpful narration and not getting to see him paint the first sky). But you're right, it does show how very simple brushes can effectively create a very realistic, compelling scene if one simply knows EXACTLY what one's doing.

Thanks for posting the process shots! Yeah, I like that Levente trick, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh yeah, that first sky! The Dylan Cole ones have have better pacing and narration but i think Dusso concept paintings are better. Also Dusso seems to have a custom shaped chalk brush, couldn't find a download so I made a screen grab, took it into PS and copied the brush... I did those landscape sketches with it, don't think it makes a difference only the edge is more varied and I would say creates more of a traditional stroke....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think all the DUSSO chalk brushes just use standard PS tips...I was able to find all of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did? I couldn't find this one....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That tip's called Chalk 17 pixels. I forget where it's filed, but it's there. I guess he might have modified it ever so slightly, as his brush preview looks ever so slightly different than mine, but it could just be that I'm using CS4 and he's using an earlier version. Anyway, for a while there, I actually did almost all of my painting with that very brush, just because I was so inspired by DUSSO, but I got tired of it eventually. I still use that brush for softer stuff, but I try to use harder-edged brushes a lot. I also created a higher-res version of that same brush tip and used Levels to sharpen its edges, and I use that occasionally, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude!!! You're a star!!!!! Found it! Thanks so much "Behold the mighty Dusso brush!" haha

Just played with it, think I'll harden the edges too....

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.