Art: The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

View testimonialsView Artwork

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

A few years back I entered a COW on conceptart. I did a quick job on the theme of 'Deep Sea Creature' and came up with a bit of a silly entry called 'The Pirate Muncher'. There was a little bit of controversy about whether my entry was a piece of concept art, or an illustration, or if it was even a 'Deep Sea Creature'...

So I give in, it was an illustration. And now, four years later, it's a book. 'The Pirate Cruncher' is published today by Templar, and it's a dream come true for me. For as long as I can remember I've wanted to do a picture book and it's a great feeling to have something of my own to read to my four-year-old daughter. It's not perfect, but I'm hoping it's a good start, that kids will enjoy it and that it'll be the first of many!

So, bearing in mind that the idea came about on conceptart, I thought this would be the place to post some images first.... I've learnt a lot from the artists on this forum and been inspired every time I log in, so I'd say conceptart has a hand in this. Thanks to all the artists who are generous, and brave enough, to share.

It's all digital (Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter), from the sketches to final art. I hope some folk like it, and some of you even decide to buy it. Published in the UK today and available in all good book stores and online, and due for US publication in April.

Here's a selection of spreads... Some with text (some of which is early text that has since changed a bit) an some without!

This image is the wraparound cover, the spine runs through the waist of the pirate being tugged.

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The endpapers (the version at the back is slightly different!)

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

Some more spreads...

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

This weird shaped page is a fold down flap that reveals the Pirate Cruncher.

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

And the other surprise at the end (if the reader didn't see it coming!)

The PiRATe CRuNCHeR!!

I might post the rest of the spreads later if folk are interested, and I'll take some photos of the book and post 'em to make it clearer!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by duddlebug; September 26th, 2009 at 04:19 AM. Reason: sorting out images and thumbnail...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to duddlebug For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Members who have read this thread: 1