Thread: Eve Online

Thanks

Eve Online

I was all about wondering, does anyone here play the MMO Eve Online?
    If not, I'd recommend it to anyone whose interested in sci-fi MMO's, and don't want to play 2D half-assed excuses for ones...

www.eveonline.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    lol...?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I played the free fortnight trial a couple of years back and decided I could waste far too much time in there..

As someone who lost entire months of his youth playing "Elite", deleting it seemed safest.

Thanks
    Eve Online has some awesome ship designs. I love a lot of the ideas behind the game, and I am very impressed with CCP for sticking with the game and constantly building on it and improving it, rather than shutting it down, abandoning their player base, and pushing another slapped-together game out the door like many other companies would. It is also pretty amazing that a little company from Iceland with a rather low-budget game can steadily grab more subscriptions, shrug off the economy problems, open up a second studio in the USA, buy up White Wolf, etc...

That said, I've played free trials several times over the years, but never got hooked on the game. I am mostly interested in games that give me a world to freely explore. Eve doesn't allow this yet. Exploration is lacking, and as a space-only game probably always will be. Basically the game seems to boil down to PVP, and I don't have the time to farm game-money to buy game-ships with, whenever someone decides to kill me. For PVP I'd rather play a quick game of Battlefield 2 or something. Every way of farming money in EVE is also insanely boring.

I still like to follow the game's progress though.

I probably would have loved the game if it were around when I was in high school. Nowadays I can't justify the time it would suck up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Burtzum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EVE is a game that takes time..A LOT OF TIME. A LOT If you don't like the idea of it taking up days, weeks or months to learn a skill and learn how to survive in the game. Then don't even start it. Its a huge game, there are ways to learn but its definitely not for the faint of heart an its got a niche consumer base. its a game that you either love, or are bored to death by.

Thanks
    ahhh
    hahahahaha...
    we digress

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just as a side note here so i don't get banned:
    I wasn't endorsing CCP Games' Eve Online in anyway. All rights reserved for them.

On a lighter note, I agree that I takes up way to much time, and tbh I haven't played in 7 months, however, I do keep tabs on the people I used to play with, and I sometimes read those really cool chronicles...sometimes.

Now yes, I can agree that for a quick shoot-em up match, I'll seldom be playing any MMO that involves making money to pvp...more likely CoD4 or something.

Thanks
    No. The time commitment isn't justifiable by any means considering i could have spent the time drawing, painting or learning more about drawing and painting.

Or even reading a good book about humans buggering tavern wenches and feisty elven maids .

Or writing a short story about a large-bosomed ogress getting it on with three goblins.
    - When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    There's a great depth into the game, not for anyone who don't have time. I prefer 20 minutes Street Fighter matches which I can shut off at any time.

In case no one knows, they have an art book too, which is really beautiful.

Book Review: The Art of EVE

Eve Online

Eve Online

Eve Online

Eve Online
    Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    This should be in the "Entertainment and Media" portion of the lounge, which is where I will be moving this now. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    it has an interesting story but its incredibly boring.. i must say though its really fascinating flying by a huge ship.. however i never came by a Titan before, has anyone here ever seen and been up close to a titan?

Thanks
    I will point out one extremely good thing about EVE online.

The music.

Masterfully composed, serene, calm, tranquil. Many of the tracks feel much like floating in endless space, watching nebulas, stars and galaxies whizz by. I especially love "Smoke from down below", "Theme of the universe" and "It's full of stars".

And best of all: The music is available for free download at http://www.eveonline.com/download/music

Go get it ^^
    - When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    I've sunk 5 long years of my life into Eve. Recently quit due to... life? Yeah that thing. Honestly, eve steals men's souls. 198 million skill points, met some great people I now call friends. The community is *the* best of any MMO out there.. hell I could write a paper on it all.

Thanks
    this might be an old thread, but i have to says i have always been curious about EVE Online, ever since i decided to try out anarchy online (i know, i know, ancient game, but it whet my appetite for scifi MMO's).

and thanks for the music link. good stuff.