New Wacom Bamboo with MULTI TOUCH!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile New Wacom Bamboo with MULTI TOUCH!

I don't know if this is already been "touched" upon (har har), but Wacom has a new product out. It's basically a new Bamboo with multi touch capability. It's definitely worth looking at, because they will most likely extend the new features to larger models in the future.

Check it out here! http://touch.wacom.com/?contactID=106005399

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, and they also upped the levels of Pressure sensitivity on the Fun and Craft.

Both of these tablets now have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity on the pen.

The Pen and Touch at 99 dollars has 512.

I do have to say this is a good product spec wise. This can be used more than what I usually do. I have the tablet and pen as separate items because I didn't like the Wacom mouse with my tablet. However a touch sensitive area like a giant touchpad makes more sense and more intuitive than switching from mouse to pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By specifications, the active area is not in 16:10 proportions anymore. It seems to be a little bit more "squarish" than the previous Bamboo models. I find this choice strange, as most consumer-level LCD monitors are migrating towards 16:9 proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great but I think it will only reach Malaysia in a few more months just like the Intuos4. I'm thinking of getting one since my work space is limited and better it can free up one USB port on my laptop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I don't get is, how does the pen and touch one work? My hand glides across the surface of the tablet when I draw, so wouldn't it activate the multi touch and make the input spaz out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It still works both ways. It recognizes organic and pen touch. It's just that smart. ;P

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    What I don't get is, how does the pen and touch one work? My hand glides across the surface of the tablet when I draw, so wouldn't it activate the multi touch and make the input spaz out?
    The tablet recognizes when a pen comes into proximity. Probably when it happens, touch is disabled.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you can key different finger prints as hotkeys, I don't really see how this would help while painting. I guess i'd have to try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you watch the video on the link I provided, it shows how you can rotate the canvas, zoom in and out, and other cool features by using the touch mode.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone knows if it is compatible with an intuos3 art pen? since most bamboo series works with intuos3 art pen? am considering this as it will be available in asia in about a month's time. am considering one of the new bamboo fun that has almost similar in size with an intuos4 medium.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally I can put away my tempera's away and finger paint like a big boy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zenichi View Post
    anyone knows if it is compatible with an intuos3 art pen? since most bamboo series works with intuos3 art pen? am considering this as it will be available in asia in about a month's time. am considering one of the new bamboo fun that has almost similar in size with an intuos4 medium.
    Not sure if the Intuos3 art pen is compatible with the new Bamboo but The Star Online did mention it is available now and you can check out the price in the article. http://star-techcentral.com/tech/sto...sec=technology I'm surprised Wacom roll this out sooner than I think since Intuos4 took a while to reach Malaysia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to repeat this again.

Intuos tablet pens you are best off assuming are not compatible with other intuos tablets of different models. That also includes other wacom tablets.

Please do not assume otherwise. The pens can cost a bit and telling people they "might" be compatible makes them think it IS compatible. So unless you know for sure. Don't even think it is.

The one exception of where I saw an intuos pen cross compatible was the Intuos3 pens with Cintiqs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huey Yeng cheers, but i wont be in malaysia for the next 2 months, it's also published as available in taiwan since middle of september, but the stock wont ship till about 2 weeks from now.

Arshes Nei: thanks, in that case, best is still to visit a retail outlet or "wacom experience centre" to try it out or ask for a demo to check compatibility!

edit: just checked with flagship store in taipei and it's available now!

Last edited by zenichi; October 2nd, 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just sent a mail to Wacom asking if gestures can be reassigned to hotkeys and if it will work alongside a Cintiq. If so I'm getting the $69 Touch. But if anyone gets one tomorrow please post your findings...pretty please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just heard back from Wacom. Currently the gestures are preprogrammed and cannot be changed. Be sure to let them know you want customizable gestures.

It would be great to do something like this:

LeftClick = hotkey
    RightClick = hotkey or radialmenu
    Back = undo
    Forward = redo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info. Damn I thought the gestures are programmable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at taipei wacom flagship store today, confirm intuos art pen is NOT compatible with the new bamboo fun, pen & touch series as the bamboo doesnt support tilting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing that Intuos4 has not been out long enough to be updated any time soon, the new Bamboos are killer products. Touch-gestures (not programmable, but rotating the canvas with your fingers on the tablet … wtf great!), slim design, small, 4 expresskeys … all I wanna know is if the pen is comfy enough to be able to work with it for some hours. It's sad they don't have rubber-coating on the Bamboo series. The new Intuos are fine, but the big Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch is half the price plus gestures.

Are there any comparisons available between Intuos3, Intuos4 and the big new Bamboo?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the differences between the intuos and Bamboos are still as follows.

Intuos still has tilt detection and has different pens for the experience. Intuos 4 still has the highest pressure sensitivity.

Customizable Express Keys that are program specific. While you can customize the keys on Bamboo, you can't change it from program to program as far as I remember.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. I never use tilt, and 1024 levels were enough for years. Too bad about the keys. But I never used them as well. So, downgrade from Intuos to Bamboo :=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked into it again and finally found a comparison website: http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/compare.html

It seems like the bamboo still has lower resolution (half of both Int3 and Int4) and a lower sample rate. Just for those eager to know the differences.

- resolution
    - sampling rate
    - rubber coated pen
    - different pen nibs

… that's what's better on the Intuos, spec wise (don't mind the keys, if you do that's obvious).

I just hope it isn't laggy. Anyway, still got my Int3 as a backup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    I looked into it again and finally found a comparison website: http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/compare.html

It seems like the bamboo still has lower resolution (half of both Int3 and Int4) and a lower sample rate. Just for those eager to know the differences.

- resolution
    - sampling rate
    - rubber coated pen
    - different pen nibs

… that's what's better on the Intuos, spec wise (don't mind the keys, if you do that's obvious).

I just hope it isn't laggy. Anyway, still got my Int3 as a backup.
    I'm a noob on the field since I never used any Wacoms.
    Do those parameters you mentioned really make a big difference then? Or is the sensitive pressure more important?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a little money to spare and I've been wanting a graphic tablet for ages, so the Pen & Touch seems interesting.

Now, I was pretty sure I want to buy one, but then I had a look at the German Amazon site and the reviews were mediocre at best. (Although there's only 3 reviews.) In one of them, it said that the Pen&Touch doesn't work with GIMP, i.e. that GIMP only recognizes it like a normal mouse.

Does anyone know more about this? And do you think it'd be a good investment for my first GT ever?

EDIT: Are you KIDDING me? 99$ but in Germany it's 89€? 99$ is only 67€! Meh, hate that.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I just ordered one. Decided to wait it out with this one for now and see if theres a new cintiq on the way.
    Dropped 94€, shipment included, the tablet alone was 74€. Best price I could get. Should arrive in a few days, by then I should be able to help you out with some Qs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it good for painting/drawing/inking ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PowaPlaya View Post
    Is it good for painting/drawing/inking ?
    It's good for anyone beginning with tablets.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had the Pen and Touch for 2 months now and I love using it.

For painting and art duties, frankly its just as useful for me as an Intuos3.

Only a few issues with it.

It uses a different surface sheet from the former Bamboo Model, as well as the Intuos 3 & 4. Out of the 4 tablets, I like the Bamboo Pen and Touch surface the best. I find it more comfortable to use then even the Intuos4. However, like the Intuos4, its a Nib eating beast.

Its very light and easy to hold, and the new layout for the express keys is a welcome improvement from the old Bamboo. However one issue with that is since its so light, it feels like it could break quite easily. Also, one issue I have with mine from time to time is if I have it on my lap or holding it, it works fine, but the second I put it on a table, sometimes the pen won't work. Then I pick it up and it works fine. I only have this problem on some tables/surfaces, but it doesn't always happen. Its an odd issue though, it may just be a minor defects with my unit.

One thing I didn't like is the cord isn't detachable. The old Bamboo and the Intuos4 line all have detachable cords which make them easier when you have to travel with them. For the Bamboo Pen and Touch, they decided to make the cord undetectable for some reason. I guess its not a big deal, but I would have rather had it detachable. (since my Cellphone, camera, external DVD players, and portable hard drive all use the same cord, it was easy to just pack away the one cord.)

Also, the red ribbion on the side of the unit, I found it quite annoying at first, but it grew on me as it was a pretty clever way of storing the pen. Until last week when the ribbon ripped off in my laptop bag somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, this helped me a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.