Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Closing one eye

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Apparently, you came to CA right after you woke up?
    No it´s not like that. First I kiss my girlfriend

CA should reward your loyalty with a CA-exclusive t-shirt!
    That´s a pretty good idea. Just propose this to the forums owner

Ok, we should make it clear in which case one should close his eye. And I am talking about closing the eye when one is measuring a distance.

How about yourself? Do you close your left eye most of the time while drawing? Or only occasionally? (when you're stuck or overwhelmed by details).
    I close it while I am doing a cast drawing and measure with a plumb line. It is impossible to measure with two eyes while holding the plumb line in front of the subject.
    While doing a life drawing without measuring I use both eyes. If I use the pencil as a plumb line then I close one eye.

So we can sum up that both is valuable and closing one eye is nessesary to measure distances.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,692 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Fortunately, most of us have two functioning eyes. Sometimes it's useful to close one. I think the advantages and disadvantages of stereo vision in drawing have been wildly overstated in this thread.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoern3000 View Post
    You guy all come from a different time zone than I - so while I sleep you already talk about a different subject

I typed in Google "closing one eye drawing"

This is the first hit: http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/art/oneeyeddraw.html
    The second is this thread
    the third: long link made shorter

and so on....

I am still not convinced by observating the subject by two eyes.
    How would you paint the illusion of depth without having firsthand, visual knowledge of what it is you intend to mimic? Can you paint gamma rays? I seriously doubt it, since you cannot actually perceive them.

After an artist has learned how to properly paint/draw form I can understand being able to paint from a photo reference (say, for an illustration) and faking some details that would lend it depth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,692 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    How would you paint the illusion of depth without having firsthand, visual knowledge of what it is you intend to mimic?
    Stereoscopy is only one of the contributors to the illusion of depth. Edge control can be taught, and proper edges have to be designed, not observed. I find it ironic that every time someone who's color blind posts wondering if they can make it as an artist they're immediately told not to worry, but this thread seems to be saying that anyone who's blind in one eye should hang it up .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My wife only has one good eye (she couldn't see her hand in front of her face with her other eye), and she finds it incredibly easy to accurately draw from life. This is a just a useless anecdote I know, but I found it interesting... She doesn't practice, she's never kept a sketchbook, the only time she draws is when she's painting (shapes in paint) - yet every once in a while she picks up a pencil and has no trouble getting it all right. She has terrible depth perception - always putting cups down too hard on the table etc - but I believe that it's helped her art, which is very consciously flat, by getting rid of one extra distraction. I'm not sure if she'd have trouble making a painting with a sense of form and depth because she doesn't want to, so she never tries. Still, I'm not going to walk around with an eye patch - checking my plumbline maybe, but that's about it for me personally.

I'm sure that edge control can be aquired by experimentation and studying photos that have already had the depth hard coded in - although surely really good edges would require both design and observation from life? I've only just discovered that edges even existed last year, so I don't know much about them yet though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, so I think you do have some points on it but just had no time for making it clear in this thread, instead of only saying "no" for six times?

If you close your left eye and draw what you see, you will end up with a vision of what the eye has seen - assumed you are able to draw accurately.

If you close your right eye and draw what you see you will end up with a vision of what this particular eye has seen.

If you take both eyes you will have perception of depth but what are you gonna put on the paper? So this is what I mean with that it is of no use to have both eyes open since you only draw one drawing.

A one-eyed guy can draw to the same accuracy as a two eyed guy - assumed he is able to put the pencil on the right point of the paper - which he will since he is used to work with only one eye or drink coffee with one eye or put the thread into the needle....

As mentioned before, Dali shows us what each eye is percieving - but with two different painting. How will you be able to put dimension on to a 2D surface? It´s about creating the illusion of dimension what a realist painter/drawer is goint at.

I hope I made my point clear - and I hope you will do too
    this is amazing and profound...but i don't quite get what you mean by drawing what the other eye see...
    Leftover afterimage?
    And what do you mean by drawing accurately? As in, hand eye precision?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,616 Posts
    You MUST lose percepion of depth.[...]The perception of depth is of no use if you work in 2D. Just look at the object with one eye and draw the line with both eyes to get the pencil at the point you want it to be in your brain.
    Only if you want to reduce yourself into a copy machine.

Actual drawing should be done with awareness of 3D form in space, structurally, with attention to round form, even if you are drawing from life with precision. Otherwise you are going to miss a lot of the available information and be prone to produce a flat lifeless copy. Worse, if you don't practice with form in mind and focus on 2D shapes, you'll be dependent on the reference and have a reduced ability to invent compositions.

(P.S. Thanks to the necromancer for unearthing a thread from 2009... duh.)

So - no, that's bad advice.

Thanks
    Interesting discussion. I like to use both one and two eyes. I mostly use one eye when I get tired and I start seeing out of focus (serious sleep disorder, so I have to adapt).
    There's no law against using one eye, just as there's no law against squinting, as long as you have a sense of what shapes are like and you also know a bit of theory.

Interesting test I did: when tired your eyes start going out of focus, and your mind has trouble avoiding distractions, which means: when you're drawing a face or portrait,
    it can be very difficult to nearly impossible to focus on a single point and its relation to the whole shape.
    Also another thing: it's virtually the only solution I've found for what is dubbed 'the artist's curse'. Your mind gets filled with preconceptions when working on an image,
    and after a while you can't see mistakes. Closing one eye can work as the equivalent of flipping the image on its head.

I'd say it all depends on the problem you're trying to solve. Screaming off the top of your voice that it's not to be done is pretty cramped and nonsense in my opinion.
    Art is about having an idea, a vision and getting that on paper. The human filter is always there, wether you want it or not.

Oh and another thing: 3 dimensional awareness can also fight against you. I seriously had to unlearn the loomis-way of drawing, as everything you draw after it looks like the same boxed human with slight differences in detailing. Essentially you're saying here that someone with on eye could not be an artist even if he or she wanted to, because it would all come out 'copied' from reality. Load of crap if you ask me... since the 'human filter' will always alter reality, wether consciously or subconsciously.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3