IDW #112: Anti-Orbit Self Propelled Artillery

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Icon IDW #112: Anti-Orbit Self Propelled Artillery

Topic: Anti-Orbit Self Propelled Artillery

Background: Pretty straightforward theme this week. This piece of artillery (mounted on it's own vehicle so it can relocate fast) should be able to take out any and all that moves both at close range and in the outer layers of the planet's atmosphere.

Edit: With close range I mean objects within the planets' atmosphere (you can decide yourself whether this is a few thousand yards or several hundred kilometeres).

Brief:
    1. Design and draw an AO-SPA!
    2. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Wednesday, September 30

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 1880
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 23rd, 2009 at 04:40 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Anti-Orbit Self Propelled Artillery.....

Damn, that just sounds pretty...

Off to work!

Here's a few images I pulled out of my reference folder:

Low Earth orbit is defined as anywhere from 100 miles/200 km to 1,200 miles/2000 km. That is really, really far.

Some thoughts that immediately came to mind: How many people does it take to man this thing? Modern artillery pieces need around a dozen people, this is futuristic, so less, right? Wheeled, tracked, or mecha? The brief specially states that the AO SPA must be able to attack terrestrial targets as well.... Should that be line-of-sight, parabolic or orbital-parabolic? All three?

Now off to work...

of course i shall take a sci-fi approach on this again but ill try to make it a bit different hopefully , sounds like a fun topic

Are we limited to this thing being on ground or can it be anywhere?

n00dles: Yeh I'd say on the ground or close to it. Otherwise it wouldn't really classify as artillery I think, as it becomes more of an airplane or floating turret or stuff. If you find an elegant solution that still reads like a Self Propelled Gun than feel free to give it a try.

Heh, If I won't take part in this round I will burn in hell for sure!

Thanks Yoitisi for this motivating topic

I haven't been around lately, been so busy at work, but I might do a few sketches for this one.

Because English isn't my native language, I thought I'd look up what self-propelled actually means.

Cool topic!

oh my god. orgasm

One's humble Sketchbook

awsome topic selection!! gunna have a crack at this i think.

Doh! Somehow misinterpreted the wording and did a bunch of sketches for an orbital turret... Good thing I still have plenty of time. Great topic!

some first ideas

One's humble Sketchbook

Wixxi- looking cool them, defo like the one in the top left as it looks as tho it could hold a long barrel due to its positioning

Another sketch of an idea, prob gonna go with this one.

Idea behind it: An artificial intelligent artilliry tank, the front part is its brain and targeter, it locks on to a target, which can be high up hundreds of kilometers in the atmosphere and steady's its main gun. In case any sneeky engineer wanna sabotage this baby it activates its anti-personal rockets mounted on the left and right side of the hull. It is also armed with a 9 mm machine gun mounted on the front. This mech is all terrain and is extremely precise.

Last edited by Wixxi; September 25th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
    One's humble Sketchbook

ok... would normally do some thumbnails but i decided to just jump straight in with this one and resolve the design while im painting. this is a wip of where im at.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Sime, is your vehicle a walking one? With four legs it will only be able to move one leg at a time.

Maybe the Plustech wood harvester, walking on six legs, could inspire you?

Artillery would imply that it launches a solid projectile at it's target...is this a requirement or can it use directed energy or missles?

Penabled: I'm not sure but I think the definition of artillery is quite wide, and mostly focuses on the fact that you shoot at a long-range target without them being able to fire back at you directly. Missiles are also solid projectiles being launched at a target by the way

out of all the times i saw an awesome topic, and said i would be joining only to never be heard from again this is the most tempting!...

oh man......... if only i had the time and willpower to create art outside of work T_T!

keep on fighting the good fight yoitisi! i will be back one day!

Last edited by Legato; September 26th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.

great werk so far!!!
    heres my quick design i was try'n to think of a modern design with functionality i hope to flesh out the design an show a few examples of the functions
    i havent done a IDW before so if im not on track please let me know i would greatly appreciate any feed back thanks

the main focus is the mobility its called the ''Triple Lindy'' because it has three wheels on each side with a specially designed independent hydraulic system . the middle two wheels raise off the ground as the outside four wheels turn inward to allow the Triple Lindy two change course 360' .with this hydraulic system the TL can raise the cab an utilizing the six wheels can easily crawl over fallen trees small rocks an up river banks (allowing it to climb over the equivalent of a four foot object)

for offense everything is aided by satellite example a satellite aims a beacon signal down to the target an the operator is sent this information an fires the canon the shell is rocket propelled an can adjust course to its destination.
    not only does it have a canon for long range but it can fire up to six short range mortar shells at one time about five times in one minute that explode in the air above the target an rain 12 napalm bombs (kinda like daisy cutters). it also has three 50 cal maned guns one with 180' line of site on top an two with 90' rotation mounted on the sides of the 360' rotating canon

for defense it has several smart scales located on all four sides of the main main cab the satellite an sensors located on the TL pick up large arms fire such as mortars, rockets, grenades an triggers the smart scales to deploy about 10 yards from the vehicle to intercept an detour most of the damage the reinforced steel dose the rest

haha sorry for my blab'n an my poor grammar i have no idea what im talking about but i tried

Here's a quick WIP of my own, it's far from finished (if I ever get around to finishing it, that is). There's going to be some more explenation of the concept on the left side since it rather looks like a normal AA-tank at the moment. I'll try and scan in my sketches too later on

Name:  IDW 112 AO-SPA flip small.jpg
Views: 4489
Size:  362.1 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 27th, 2009 at 11:19 AM.

Gosh, doing this is harder than I thought, I'm first making it in sketchup and it's taking on some form

NOOOO!!!! - just spotted this now okay I'm gonna HAVE to get in on this one!!
    SO busy with freelance work -will burn some midnight petroleum for this one...

My Sketchbook
    My Sculpting thread
    Blog: www.jumpsuitblog.blogspot.com"
    "Yor's world! Yor's world! He's the man!"

Had a few hours to spend for a change on Sunday and decided to play with new techniques...

Un manned Wal-Mart Hunter Killer coming out of the ruins of Frankfurt airport to kill a European satellite during the hostile takeover of the EU in 2043

Here are a few sketchbook pages I did for this... My scanner is such a piece, the last two images should be relatively similar in terms of contrast.

Anyway, these are just marker sketches for now, I'll try to sit down with the Wacom for a bit soon.

loving the last marker sketch kryoth, its got a real Syd Mead feel about it.

Great entries all of you

Here is side view I choosed to develop further

Update I'll try and post some crits too later on.

Name:  IDW 112 AO-SPA 3 small.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  424.1 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 28th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.

love that so far yoitsi.... great idea with the rounds! think im gunna dig out a wip to show

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.