Sketchbook: Charcter Concepts

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Charcter Concepts

• SketchBlog •

My other sketchblog will be soley for just... random doodles. However, this one's for character designs So I'd appreciate it if there's serious critiques on: anatomy, concept, and execution. Thanks!

Pesta Beast:
    Here's concept one that I started working on recently. It started out as a study on canine anatomy, so after doing some skeletal studies, which will be featured on my other blog, I decided to give them muscle.

concept / info:
    It then morphed into this strange guy. It's based off of a skinned dog, which explains the lack of fur and ears, as well as a hairless one. However, I've been messing around with Mayan folklore and decided to make him a deity in a sense. This canid like beast represents sickness and death, so when it comes close to a sick being it will start to slink and crawl, (like the girl from the ring) and bleed from its eyes, mouth, and nose as well as get sickly looking skin.

It normally lurks with a small indian child by its side.

- - - - -

I'm not a pro at canine anatomy so there are bound to be flaws. Please critique and tell me what to fix.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joshua Jiles: Bust

Some of you may know that I don't like sticking to one style...

Anyways, here's some concept work for a comic I've been working on as of late, this was done a while back.

However before starting on the comic, I knew I'd need to do some turn sheets, especially since the characters are so abstract and angular... So I popped out one for the gothic guy on the far left.

He's one of the few characters that looks as though he comes from the land of the hairly retarded.

Any crits on this are welcome! Although some things are probably best left to abstraction.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would never consider myself a pro of any kind of anatomy, but I tried to give your dog creature a shot. There's definitely some crazy angles and perspective going on. This is mostly obvious in the back portion. Wouldn’t his chest be covering more of his abdomen and crotch area from the angle you have his head? This creature also has a freakishly long spine…Like 300 vertebrae in there or something. There is some odd stuff going on with his neck too. The lump that apparently shows his withers isn’t necessary. Also his arms come out quite far from his body. I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure dog’s don’t have a full range of motion in their shoulders that people have.

Name:  doggoddeath.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  115.0 KB

Also, you say it slinks and crawls, but this pose really comes across as a pissed off animal about to pounce.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaMyers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're better at it than I am.

It's kind of supposed to have a freakishy long spine, just to make it a bit less natural and sickly looking. But you're right about the paws and legs. I knew there was something wrong but couldn't quite put my finger on it. The main issue I had with the left leg was how static it looked and the slight curvature on the paw makes it look all the more natural and fluid.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.