Art: That Conan dude...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: That Conan dude...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

That Conan dude...

I keep falling back to painting what I really love, Conan's and such, every time I get a break from work. I realize most people like to see a bit more than a pile of muscle so here's trying to work on personality and character, first and foremost...
    Hope you like it, thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Vision without action is a fantasy...action without vision is a nightmare." japanese proverb

MY PORTFOLIO

MY BLOG

FACEBOOK
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, this looks great. Good colors, and everything's really well modeled, but the proportions seem off to me. Because of his large head, the rest of him seems dwarfish.

Forgive me for doing a quick fix, but I went in and shrank his head in PS to show you what I mean.

Name:  Csmallhead.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  203.4 KB

Again, everything else is fantastic, and I want to see more of your work. You've got a great style.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowee that looks awesome, you've captured such raw strength in him, i darent get too close to the screen coz he looks like his inner voice is telling him to snap a few necks! wonderful naturel posture and great lighting..its three thumbs up from me (-:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey CB great looking pic. Having read all of the Lancer paperback book Conans back in my younger days ( Frazetta covers) my mind has been pretty much set as to what the Cimmerian dude’s image should look like. I find that a lot, with the exception of a few, of other artists make the barbarian look to civilized. Throw some ragged loin cloth and a bit of armor on a muscle man and they think that they have a CONAN.

Not so. Conan needs to look like a savage untamed Wildman able to battle 10 men at the same time and whip them all with rather ease. Looks like you’ve captured that image pretty well here. I like the pic a lot.

Nice job, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice job, crazybrush. I think you captured what you set out to achieve: I agree with the post above from Gurch. You've given him a subtle maniacal look and it makes for a much more interesting image. Good skills.

~ Slayer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NathanLong: Hey Nathan, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to fix it. It is what it is and I think you're right! I shrank his head, slightly less than you did but it did make a difference. I changed it on my site and blog and, since you already put the image here, I'm not going to post another one. Thanks again!

TheGurch: Hahaha, thanks, that's what I was going for!

Bruce Pluto: Thanks! I totally agree! I'm not saying that I'm "the man" but I generally have a problem with the way "savage" characters are designed and casted today and I was trying to address exactly that. Take Lionidas from 300 for example...it's all good except he has perfect teeth! As if dental care then was what it is now...Little details like this prevent me from really getting into the character and the time period. So, thanks a lot, I'm really glad that you think I made him believable

thegrayslayer: Thanks so much!

"Vision without action is a fantasy...action without vision is a nightmare." japanese proverb

MY PORTFOLIO

MY BLOG

FACEBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it because it is a different take on Conan. He's standing still, not directly engaged in combat. But he is still intimidating.

If I may be picky: the shadow cast on his left hip just above the belt, doesn't quite seem natural. I don't know what it is exactly that could be changed, but if you might revisit that area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad I could help. Checked it out on your blog. Looks great!

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crasybrush-very nice. I like your painterly style-nice strokes/rendering. I agree about shrinking his head-also maybe add a little more highs on his face/eye area where the light is hitting him, seems like it'd be brighter on hi face too. Post an update-I'd love to see it.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pose and rendering is perfect, but i dunno... if i saw the WWF-esque belt, makes me think more wrestler than Hyperborean... maybe add a sword in?

"The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe."
    Bob Ross
    'Updates every other decade' Book
    Death by Hue Shift!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great rendition of an iconic character. Your version really captures the REH spirit, I think. And it's beautifully done, to boot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the flash: Thanks! Yeah, I really tried to capture "subtle" intimidation, as opposed to doing an action pose. I'm glad you think it worked out . I see what you mean about his left hip...I'll see if I can fix that.

NathanLong: Thanks again

Aberzheim: Thanks man, lol - WWF belt. Yup, it does seem that way, doesn't it? To be honest, I tried attaching the sword to it but just couldn't fit it in properly...

jcpahl: Thanks very much!

Here's a long shot of him, lol, I was trying out some brushes and I guess ended up with a fitting environment

Attached Images Attached Images  

MY PORTFOLIO

MY BLOG

FACEBOOK

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.