Prospective tranfer to UCLA in Los Angeles
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Prospective tranfer to UCLA in Los Angeles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prospective tranfer to UCLA in Los Angeles

I'll get right to the chase, I'm in great need of help from experienced people such as you dear members of conceptart, for I am planning to transfer to a university after completing my GE classes.

I'm currently preparing in LACC, taking everything I need to transfer to UCLA's art dept, but I've been lurking for quite a while and I haven't acquired a positive image of my current choice. Most concrete threads are somewhat old (from 2008) and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is really worth it to get a UCLA degree (as in, will I be decently prepared to make it my goal to get a career-related job soon plus graduating) or I'm just wasting my student-time.

My aspirations are to get a job at reputable animation studios (both 2D and 3D art) and/or be able to sculpt and produce collectible figurines, such as these:

http://tomopop.com/post.phtml?pk=6211&un=bovine

I have seen several other choices such as Ringling and Otis, but due to financial, time, location and family restraints I cannot go much further than the Los Angeles area or seek expensively private or specialized institutions. I chose UCLA mostly because it's an overall reputable university, it's not as far away from were I'm currently living (will move if I transfer anywhere) and I have a solid transfer program for it in my current college.

Nevertheless, I know the members of C.A. have more experience and insight about the several institutions, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a better choice that trumps UCLA's program but is not more expensive than it (it is regretful but I basically have no financial support for school. My relatives help me with the rent, I apply for financial aid and hope for the best).

I guess in a nutshell I'd like to know, if UCLA is not great, which university has the best program out there without compromising my location or monetary conditions too much.

I sincerely thank you in advance for any help you can provide, if there is something that is not clear to you I'll do my best to explain my situation or my goals again.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out San Jose State University, and Cal State Fullerton. Both are Cal State universities, which means even cheaper than UC's.
    I personally am aiming for CalArts and ringling, like you, but my parents want me to find a way cheaper alternative. I really like what I see from SJSU.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yaku - It sounds like you are in the LA area so I highly suggest you stop by the school itself and check out their student gallery to see if the art produced there is what you are interested in.

Another possibility is UCLA's design department:

I highly suspect though, based on your aspirations and the skills you would like to acquire, that UCLA will fall very short of your expectations. From people I've know who studied art there, it is very much lacking in traditional foundation skills and centered more on self expression and modern art.

Being in the LA area you would have easy access to the many non-degree programs and workshops around that would give you the serious skills and training you need for your goals.

I've also seen good things from SJSU as meowmeow suggested and the people I know from that program have done well.

Last edited by rusalka; September 22nd, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much to both of you, I have been thinking about it and if UCLA's program is really not for me, I rather not waste my time and money on it.

meowmeow22: Thank you very much for the suggestions; by any chance do you have any feedback for those places to share with me? I'd be extremely grateful especially since I had some bad experiences with Cal State LA.

rusalka: I'm currently checking out all the places several members posted in the forums, and I have gathered some close to me that I believe will help me (yes you are correct I'm in the LA area). I'm actually looking to graduate properly (you know, the weird hat, the paper, the works, so the parents are happy hahaha) and get a degree, while acquiring the skills I need (at least) on the side, that's why I'm trying to get into a university rather than an academy (that and the lack of funds).

I've checked the SJSU website you have posted and I have to say it really looks promising, thank you very much, I will take it into consideration.

As a last resort I will apply for more financial aid, get some loans (since grants are hard to come by nowadays) or save some money to pay for some academic courses.

----

If anyone else has had a great experience with a university with a good art program or a good academy specializing in art around the Los Angeles area, I would greatly be in your debt if you shared your thoughts about them, thank you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.