Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

JPacer's Sketchbook

Name:  Pacer_John_01-On-the-Beach.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  471.8 KB

Hey there,

I'm fairly new here. I've been lurking for a couple of months now trying to get the lay of the land here and decided that maybe I should finally post some stuff. It seems like the sketchbook forum is the place to do that. I've only recently been experimenting with digital painting. I've made some progress thanks to things I've read in these forums as well as the downloads and classes available here. Kudos to Jason Manley and everyone at Massive Black for having this site and making learning more accessible.
    Anyway, my digital skills aren't up to snuff just yet to the point that I'd want to post anything digital so I figured I'd share some of my other work here. I was trained in a more traditional manner (oils, watercolors, etc.) so I'm posting some watercolors I did for a comic book I was doing about the Iraq War...

Addendum: I figured I'd give a little explanation as to what these images are, so that they are not misread in any way. These pieces are part of a much larger series which I’ve been working on for the last year. Please note that this is not a traditional narrative. Rather the pages are designed with what Scott McCloud, in his book, Understanding Comics, refers to as “Aspect–to–Aspect” transitions and “Non-Sequitur” transitions in an attempt to convey the overall atmosphere of war. The images are juxtaposed according to subject matter or an overall visual “theme.” Interspersed throughout the series are abstract images which I thought conveyed the psychological intensity more directly.
    Last edited by jpacer; May 13th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is a quick oil sketch I did recently.
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow those Iraq War pictures are looking great! Good job especially on the composition which is so varied and full of action.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartwood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words Staffan.AI. I sometimes get nervous posting images like that because there's an underlying political connotation that may or may not be misconstrued. With the whole series there's an effort on my part to not take a side, but to simply show what war is. If there's any conscious political statement being made with the series it's about the media and the way they treat such subjects and events. i.e., as if they're entertainment, like a comic book.

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Here's a quick sketch I did of a cowboy...

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Great work so far, the cowboy is my favorite so far. Keep up the good work!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Icedearth15876 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

watercolor sketch

This is a sketch I did for a live watercolor demo a couple of weeks ago...

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

New Sketches

These are just some figure studies I did. I was going to post some of my first ever digital paintings, but I'm unsure whether or not to do it here or in the WIP forum, as this forum seems to move at a blazing speed...

On a side note: How does one change the thumbnail that appears next to the thread title on the forum menu? It still shows the first image I showed and I'd like to update it with each new image I post...

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

The Philosopher

Here's a study I did of a young Guyanese boy named Celon.

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

First Digital Works

Hi there,

Here's one of my first attempts at digital painting. This is a quick little one hour sketch I did just trying to figure things out. I've spent the last several weeks watching some MB downloads and reading through these forums trying to figure out how to use the software. I did this in Photoshop 7. Although I've had the software for years it's only now that I've tried to paint with it. While I've gotten the hang of using layers and such, I am still figuring out what the different blending modes do and such. Any comments and critiques are appreciated of course.

Thanks.

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

brushes

Here's another quick digi thing I did. This was just me playing around with and learning about some custom brushes I made...

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

Lizard

Here's a cheesy sketch I was working on. Couldn't get the textures to work the way I wanted, so I gotta go back and do lots of reworking on it. Attachment 802057
    I also threw up one of the thumbnails I did for it.
    Attachment 802059

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks

Cubist Study

Title says it... Playing around with multiple views...

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    hey dude, great works you have here, going to bookmarked this to see you evolve in digital painting, you have a lot of talent, post some more often

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Giordan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    A Barnstone student. Awesome I'm going there in January.

Great stuff!

How long were you there and when, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast