Sketchbook: My First Sketchbook - My Journey as a Ringling '10 Computer Animation Hopeful
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My First Sketchbook - My Journey as a Ringling '10 Computer Animation Hopeful

Last edited by tikitariki; May 2nd, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you draw, especially sketch... pay no attention to the time that you put in to your work. Theres no need to be so specific on your times. In other words, if you feel you spent only 30 minutes on the drawing, just write "30M" next to it. You'll know what it means. Its also a good idea to put down the date so when you look back on it you can see how you've progressed on on what timeline.

Also, learn to be more messy, learn to be loose, learn to sketch faster. You just need to get the generalization of the form. Don't try to come right on to the paper and think to yourself that you are going to make this line perfect that first stroke around, it might take 10+ tries to get that line just the way you want it. Its also good to note that in real life, forms have no perfect lines

All in all, pick up books that teach how to learn to teach yourself how to learn. If you are just trying to copy a style, it may never stick and you'll get flustered. If you learn what to look for, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Excellent texts, excellent forms, overall one of the best things you can do to get you started on the right track:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6641659/Th...mon-Nicolaides

as well as:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6692986/br...wing-from-life

Ringling 2013

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NothingReallyExists For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooo

Last edited by tikitariki; May 2nd, 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah its always better to work larger than smaller, mainly because when you do get in to making those adjustments or tiny details, you can do it with accuracy.

It depends with what you are going for in terms of "leaving it messy" or "making it polished"... theres truly no right or wrong way to do something. If you are going for photo realism stuff, then yeah leaving reference lines in might not be a great idea. If you are just sketching for learning purposes to better yourself, you are doing yourself a favor by leaving those sketch lines and stuff.... thats not to say it should look like a grid or have blatent lines left or anything. Like I said, no right or wrong way.

Another things good to know is that no book will ever tell you 100% of the information you need to know. Keep working. While they help, its still you that has to do the walking... im sure when you first started walking, you had problems with balance and speed. Now you just walk without thinking about it. Think about that

Ringling 2013

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NothingReallyExists For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New drawings, first one is observational drawing sitting in a chair at my girlfriend's dad's house. Other one is figure drawing with live model.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tikitariki; May 2nd, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 2