Win 7/Vista Users Please Read Before Posting: Tablet PC service vs Wacom Driver

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Win 7/Vista Users Please Read Before Posting: Tablet PC service vs Wacom Driver

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Win 7/Vista Users Please Read Before Posting: Tablet PC service vs Wacom Driver

The other day I was complaining to an artist friend of mine about how Corel Painter 11's more sophistocated brushes are 'just not quite there'. In particular I was finding that the Artists' Oils had an occasional lag and would jump unexpectedly when applying too many quick brush strokes.

He tended to agree and pointed out that some concept artists just use the most fundamental tools - such as Photoshop's default brushes. That there are lots of cool brushes around, but it's not the tool that will make you a good artist, rather how you use it. Sold on the 'simplicity' of SketchBook Pro, he suggested I should look at less complex brushes.

Now, upon installing SketchBook Pro this morning, I flicked through the Release Notes (as you do) and came across the most interesting "Known Issue":

Known issues
    Performance Issues on Vista
    * There are Vista performance issues due to a conflict between SketchBook Pro and Vista’s Input Services. These services automatically start up whenever a tablet driver is installed and interacts with the tablet for hand writing recognition and more. The services affect performance, the mapping of stylus buttons, and more. For ideal performance when using SketchBook, Input Services should be disabled.
    NOTE Once you restart your machine, Vista’s Input Services turn back on.
    To disable Input Services:
    1. Go to the Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools.
    2. Double-click the Services shortcut to open the Services window, which lists all the services available through Vista.
    3. Scroll down the list and right-click Tablet PC Input Service.
    4. Select Stop from the menu provided. Input Services is now disabled and your Wacom driver takes over.

... OK. Yes, I'm running Vista x64 (no disrespect to Mac users). I have lots of RAM, Core 2 Quad, etc., in other words, sorry Corel, but I'm running a pretty decent machine. Since installing Vista I have also noticed Wacom's driver fighting with Vista's (stupid) Tablet PC Input Service tools. Where I can, I've turned it off. The above steps though seem to show where it's possible to disable the Tablet PC Input Services completely, so that my Wacom tablet has complete control (NOTE: Once you restart your machine, Vista’s Input Services turn back on.)

Guess what! Touch wood, but Corel Painter is now running smoothly on even the most sophisticated brushes. The reason for my post, I guess, is to share the experience and just put it out there. Secondly, though, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Yes, I'm going to give Painter a second chance. My mate is right about just focusing on core drawing and painting skills using simple brushes. Damn, though, Painter has some cool brushes, so if the "Tablet PC Input Services" is the problem, it would be nice to know. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Philippe Le Miere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! I have this problem too with Win 7 RC. Disabling the Tablet PC Input Service did the trick. I'm in contact with Wacom about it, and if it's a bug in their driver softare, hopefully they'll fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto. Disable it man, I had this same gripe in May of this year and they still have yet to resolve the issue. Win7RC1 on my Vaio Laptop is the problem, but Win7RC1 on my desktop workstation has been quite the performer either way, so I will tell you what I received as a possible source of the problem on the Wacom UK forum: look for a non-standard driver that controls any HID devices. When I did my desktop workstation, I let Win7 do all the installing and updating, then I installed the latest Wacom drivers and *Voila* - no problems. When I did a Win7 install on the Vaio laptop, I personally added Vista drivers for the Alps pointing device, and since Win7 didn't reject the install and it functioned properly, I felt it was good to go. Big mistake. I never use the finger nub pointer thing, but I use my Wacom daily, the only reason I wanted a completely functional install is because I was about to take the laptop to Tokyo for about a month and 1/2. I recommend you back up your current Win7 install, reinstall it fresh and let all the drivers update except any HID pointing devices. Install the latest Wacom driver and try your tablet out first. If it's good to go, then you know what the problem is.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just reposting this info here for future references sake =)

It is possible to prevent the service from re-initiating every time the machine is restarted.

To do that simply "double click" on the service name, and in the box that comes up about midway down is "Startup type" drop down menu. The safest setting to put that one is "manual", which means it'll only start up when some software or input requires it. But if it starts again anyway, or does so when the tablet gets connected or such, I can't see there being any issue with selected "disabled" in which case, it'll never start even with events.

Good luck to all in battling Vista and such ;P

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you!
    that damn tablet thing is just so f--cking annoying, I spent a few days after getting a PC with vista trying to figure out how to disable the retarded "wavy" pointer, and still there're some traces of "intelligent" and "helpful" tablet features here and there.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I made a copy of the thread and sticked in the Wacom forums. I think this is important info for any Wacom user.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for the posting of this information. I just barely built a new machine running Vista 64 bit (the whole purpose being to be able to use my intuous again). I've spent the past 6 hours installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, patching, etc everything imaginable and being unable to get my pen to even MOVE in CS3/4. Followed the instructions and problem solved - thank god I didn't waste all that money buying vista (ok, that's still up for debate).

Yes, this is excellent information for those who are using not only SketchBook but Photoshop CS as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I was running Win7 x64 and getting frustrated too, I remember having to do something like that for my old tablet but my tablet broke the same day and I forgot about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you! As well as problems in photoshop, this has also fixed problems in 3DS max with using the express keys on my intuos3.
    this information is pure gold. I commend you, sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just an update for those who use Windows 7:

My experience has been that the service now requires it being switched to "disabled", rather than "manual" in startup type. I've noticed that connecting a tablet to it, seems to trigger the service, sometimes with visual clues to alert you, and sometimes without... so best bet is to just disabled it completely until you need it for something.

It's really strange since under the hood it's almost entirely the same operating system as Vista, so you'd expect it to behave similarly, but yeah... =P

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed that too, sometimes i get a lag on a random stroke, i tought, probably corels painter bug problem, but just yesterday used photoshop and same thing, i tought it was the driver nvidia cintiq problem, you know the one nobody cares with the new drivers, so i got my old driver, but that makes a lot of sense, going to try it out, probably the problem will dissapear, thanxs.

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I updated to Windows 7 the other day from XP and I immediately had this problem too. It was nice to be able to write in text fields but ultimately drawing comes first. It was straightening up my lines and making them jump and wouldn't really allow pen pressure. So I turned it off.

So just a heads up that it happens in Windows 7 too. You have to switch it completely off!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doesn't Work for Me

Ofcourse, this fix doesn't work for me . I am using Windows 7, 32-bit with a Wacom Bamboo Fun. There are 2 services, Tablet PC Input Service and TabletServicePen. If I disable the first the problems still remain, if I disable both it fixes the pen problems, but loses the tablets settings and formatting. This is driving me nuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too have problems with windows 7(64bit) and my intuos 3.
    It works pretty much as it should, but when it comes to pen pressure in photoshop nothing seems to help.
    I´ve tried reinstalling the old wacom cd that came with the tablet. I´ve downloaded the latest drivers, disabled the win7 tablet-thingy. And yet, when i start up photoshop(cs5) I still get the annoying, thick black line no matter how losely and gently I stroke the tip of the pen on the tablet.
    Im getting frustrated, because high tech machinery that cost mucho swedish crowns, should just work straight up.
    Seems I´ve tried every thing and now starting to feel fed up, does anyone have a clue what might be wrong here?
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by General F. View Post
    I too have problems with windows 7(64bit) and my intuos 3.
    It works pretty much as it should, but when it comes to pen pressure in photoshop nothing seems to help.
    I´ve tried reinstalling the old wacom cd that came with the tablet. I´ve downloaded the latest drivers, disabled the win7 tablet-thingy. And yet, when i start up photoshop(cs5) I still get the annoying, thick black line no matter how losely and gently I stroke the tip of the pen on the tablet.
    Im getting frustrated, because high tech machinery that cost mucho swedish crowns, should just work straight up.
    Seems I´ve tried every thing and now starting to feel fed up, does anyone have a clue what might be wrong here?
    Any help is appreciated.
    When you open your Wacom Control Panel and use your pen there, does it seem to be reading the pressure OK?

Is the brush you are using setup to respond to pressure? Usually the brush preview gives you a good idea of this. If it is set to use pressure to affect size or opacity you should see this visually in the brush controls.

Properly uninstalling any old Wacom drivers, rebooting and installing the latest one may help. Drivers that came on a CD with an Intuos3 would be fairly out of date I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I´ve uninstalled everything old and disabled windows tablet functions. And yes, the new drivers show that pen pressure works fine. And no, the photoshop "override" opacity and pressure buttons doesnt make any difference for me. I still get this:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by General F.; September 2nd, 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by General F. View Post
    Yes, I´ve uninstalled everything old and disabled windows tablet functions. And yes, the new drivers show that pen pressure works fine. And no, the photoshop "override" opacity and pressure buttons doesnt make any difference for me. I still get this:
    Sorry then, I'm stumped. I sometimes lose pressure sensitivity at work on my very old Graphire and PS CS3. Unplugging the USB cable for the tablet and plugging it back in solves that one.

I vaguely remember having to change my Wacom service from Automatic to Automatic (delayed).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnMalcolm1970; September 2nd, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the feedback. I´m now in contact with wacom as a last effort to try and figure this out, hoping for the best.

EDIT: It is finally solved! I guess my detective work in trying to sniff out the last old files on the computer was not good enough. Just found the last couple of files and removed them, rebooted and downloaded latest drivers. Now everything is running as it should. Me so happy!

Last edited by General F.; September 6th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a bunch I was having lots of trouble with this. fixed now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should try this. Lately my Cintiq has been acting up. The computer has been automatically uninstalling the tablet driver and when I go to use Photoshop, the tablet doesn't work (cursor doesn't align to the pen at all). This means I have to keep reinstalling the tablet driver. The input services might be the reason behind this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this topic, I thought it was because of my Volito driver acting up, had to reset preferences every time I'd access Photoshop or Illustrator, works like a charm if you kill the startup option

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured i might not be the only one with this problem so i'm posting here.

Basically there was a windows 7 updates a few days ago that brought back the "click disc" animation for me, even thought the TabletPC input service was already disabled for me.

so quickfix :
    1. Click on your start(windows) buttons
    2. type services.msc
    3. find tabletPC input service
    4. right click on it and select properties
    5. find the "startup type" dropdown button and select disable then apply
    6. go back to start(windows) button
    7. type appwiz.cpl
    8. click on "turn windows feature on or off"
    9. uncheck tabletPC components
    10. reboot

That fixed it for me. Happy painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm running my intuos 3 on a windows 7 32bit machine.

Has anyone had pressure sensitivity problem like this?

My pressure sensitivity works, I have transfer set to pressure sensitivity and all but frequently when I paint I can barely be pressing down and it will just be all black and pressure sensitivity is jumping around!! then it will start working again, then jump back to solid opacity!! It's been getting on my nerves, not sure if it's a photoshop software problem, or wacom driver problem or what!! surely it's not my tablet!! it's been working fine for years now!

Any help on this?

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 weeks of BS just to find out that all I needed to do was roll back to the 6.15 driver since I'm using and Intuos 3 and windows 7!!!

If anyone else has any problems check out this link, it may help with other problems.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/saveenr/arch...-feedback.aspx

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to stalsby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just reverted back to an older driver last night, had about a month of weird pressure sensitivity too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem with intuous4 and windows7, guess I'm gonna go back in driver versions, too.

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was having the darndest time since reinstalling Intuos3 drivers for my tablet (haven't used it in ~2 years(?)) --- my linework was coming out all wonky. Didn't realize it was a driver conflict issue till today! What a huge difference disabling the Win7 driver makes.

However, I'm still running into the issue where occasionally while I'm working the pen pressure sensitivity will go bonkers and act as if I'm pressing down with all my might --- sort of like a digital ink blot.

Will rolling back to the previous Wacom driver fix this problem? I thought all the pressure issues were fixed after disabling the Windows (non-Wacom) driver..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this thread, because it means I'm not alone. I've been uninstalling and re-installing drivers for hours trying to fix this. Touch wood, disabling the Tablet PC Input Service will do the trick. I've just put a shortcut on my desktop to the services window for easy access.

Somewhat related, I was so perplexed when I was painting yesterday and my canvas suddenly flew off. It 'flicked' it..!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, long time ago i found a little program that can be helpful for those who suffer from the plague of the win vista/7 "circle". basically the phenomenum is caused by flicks and tablet pc input features. sometimes, or more like always, a ring thingy comes out while using a pen tablet of any kind, because win drivers overtake the hw ones, causing very annoying situations. there is a little yet helpful software, called fixmypen, that deactivates these win features in order to let your hw drivers to work fine.

here is the website of the program, if you want to take a look http://viziblr.codeplex.com/releases
    the program download link is on the right. easy to use: make averything good fix the problem, make everything bad reactivates win built in drivers for tablets.
    here an example of appearance:
    http://viziblr.com/news/2011/8/13/fi...windows-7.html

this little program solved me tons of problems, you can give it a try. and the solution is quite permanent, as long as you don't reactivate the features by this app.

just felt that this could be helpful and better fitting in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my god, you gotta be kidding me. after the years of horrible lags and driver crashes you people solved it all ;__; imma cry

sankyu, sankyu ;___;

Members who have read this thread: 44