Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination against the Jedi religion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Discrimination against the Jedi religion

================================================
    Muslim woman allowed to wear head covering, the Jedi was not.
    ================================================

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6204199/Jedi-ejected-from-Tesco-for-wearing-hood.html

Jedi ejected from Tesco for wearing hood
    The founder of the Star Wars-inspired Jedi faith has accused Tesco of religious discrimination after he was banned from wearing a hood in one of its stores.

Daniel Jones, 23, who created the International Church of Jediism, claims he was “victimised over his beliefs” by staff at the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.

The religion, inspired by the sci-fi films, is practised by 500,000 around the world and requires believers to cover their heads in public places. But Mr Jones, from Holyhead, said that staff ejected him from the store over security fears when he refused to remove his hood.

Mr Jones, also known by his Jedi name Morda Hehol, told The Sun: "I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just sniggered and ordered me to leave.

"I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone."

The handbook of the UK Jedi Church, founded by the Star Wars fan last year, states: "Jedis must wear a hood up in any public place of a large audience."

Daniel added: "It was discrimination. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that.”

"I'll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco if it happens again. They will feel the Force."

A Tesco spokesman said: "Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they’ll miss lots of special offers."

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why would he have to remove his hood in the first place? No matter what belief he's practicing (I think Jedism is very much arguably a serious religion, but I wouldn't mind anyway), if it's a rule, he must abide by it. It doesn't threaten anyone. Having to take off the headgear is a strong affront in a lot of religions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    I think Jedism is very much arguably a serious religion
    Au contraire, it's the only religion, now or ever, that was started as a joke.

That aside, Tesco is quite right. If this bloke doesn't like their rules he should either not shop there or stop being a twat. Maybe I should start a religion that states it would offend my god if I were to pay for anything. We'll see how that goes.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post

That aside, Tesco is quite right. If this bloke doesn't like their rules he should either not shop there or stop being a twat. Maybe I should start a religion that states it would offend my god if I were to pay for anything. We'll see how that goes.
    Except that paying for things is required in society. The muslim lady had to pay for things so the guy does too. But she get's to wear something on her head and he doesn't. It's not as if he has tits, swears or other offensive stuff embroidered on it.

Also, your forgetting the church of the flying spaghetti monster. It's up for debate whether the real life jedi religion was started as a joke, but there's no doubt that the FSM church was.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I'll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco... " Stop there... that's all! Tesco is an all powerful monstrosity, and if there is a dark side to the force, Tesco embody it. I know, for I have stared into the abyss...

On another note... there's been a number of stories recently with links to the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail websites. Are they sponsoring CA? Or is it that they are a): the embodiment of British political sobriety... b): Write silly-season populist stories?

Last edited by Aly Fell; September 19th, 2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Grammar

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmeh, i dont get it... whats wrong with wearing a hood regardless of religion in Tesco???

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahahhahahahahhaha! awesome!

ˇQue Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    hmeh, i dont get it... whats wrong with wearing a hood regardless of religion in Tesco???
    It's because the hoodies come in and steal booze and as they're wearing hoods, CCTV can't pick out their faces.

And the reason the Muslim woman was allowed in (theoretically speaking, I'll bet a wad of cash he did NOT pass a Muslim woman in a veil) is that as a rule, Muslim women tend not to rob booze and razor blades, whereas idiot youths in hoods do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was my point. Thank you.

Baron Impossible: Then the problem is the country and it's people, not Jedis and not Tesco. I can were a hoodie wherever I want in my country (well, except for class, we had our share of that with muslim teachers). But generally, my reaction to all stories like this (which always seem to come from either the UK or USA): Holy crap you anglos are over-sensitive …

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see a jedi trade war in the making >.>

the negotiations will be short....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Also, your forgetting the church of the flying spaghetti monster. It's up for debate whether the real life jedi religion was started as a joke, but there's no doubt that the FSM church was.
    Actually, it was started for political reasons. To put pressure on religious nutjobs who want creationism taught in classes AT LEAST as much as evolution. Because if all theories have to be taught, why not the FSM creationism or native American creation myths? Actually, I did read Genesis lately and I think I like the FSM myth better.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Baron Impossible: Then the problem is the country and it's people, not Jedis and not Tesco.
    The problem is theft, simple as that. Tesco, recognising that they are not in a position to change "the country and it's people", or maybe even recognising with some astuteness that no such broad issue exists, decided to combat theft in their stores by targetting the main offenders, which are apparently youths wearing hoods. Which they can do, on account of it being their store. And if someone, like this simpering fool in his Jedi outfit, don't like it, they have many more stores to choose from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is theft, simple as that. Tesco, recognising that they are not in a position to change "the country and it's people", or maybe even recognising with some astuteness that no such broad issue exists, decided to combat theft in their stores by targetting the main offenders, which are apparently youths wearing hoods. Which they can do, on account of it being their store. And if someone, like this simpering fool in his Jedi outfit, don't like it, they have many more stores to choose from.

I completely agree. If tesco don't stop people wearing hoods in stores, then I wouldn't be surprised to hear if lots of thieves start using jediism as a way of getting away with stealing from shops.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What if some of the Tesco staff are secretly Jedi?

Huge political debate coming on here.

"I propose the making of a grand clone army of the Jedi, to combat the growing threat of Tesco..."

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    Actually, it was started for political reasons. To put pressure on religious nutjobs who want creationism taught in classes AT LEAST as much as evolution. Because if all theories have to be taught, why not the FSM creationism or native American creation myths? Actually, I did read Genesis lately and I think I like the FSM myth better.
    I really thought it was 2-part, joke and political statement. You can't deny the first letter was hilarious Speaking of, isn't it the hallowed talk-like-a-pirate day?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tesco sell some of the nicest jellybeans I've ever had. I don't know why people seem to have a problem with them growing so much. I would be so much happier if there was one closer to where I live.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Au contraire, it's the only religion, now or ever, that was started as a joke."

...Aw Contrayer, kemo sabe...Scientology was created on a drunken bet by a science fiction writer...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And what if they found that albino people in pirate hats were responsible?
    Or the poor? or people that wear red shirts? Statistically speaking, each one of these may be true. Would that give the store the power to harass these people?

Remember that there are a lot of ways to steal from stores, the truly malicious thieves know not to wear em'.
    Unless they're gonna ban all head apparel this just looks like a bias against hoods.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    "Au contraire, it's the only religion, now or ever, that was started as a joke."

...Aw Contrayer, kemo sabe...Scientology was created on a drunken bet by a science fiction writer...
    Scientology is indeed a joke, but was created with a primary aim of making money, something in which it has succeeded admirably.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My personal favorite, Discordianism.

A Discordian is required to, the first Friday after his illumination, Go Off Alone & Partake Joyously of a Hot Dog; this Devotive Ceremony to Remonstrate against the popular Paganisms of the Day: of Roman Catholic Christendom (no meat on Friday), of Judaism (no meat of Pork), of Hindic Peoples (no meat of Beef), of Buddhists (no meat of animal), and of Discordians (no Hot Dog Buns).

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brewin View Post
    And what if they found that albino people in pirate hats were responsible?
    Or the poor? or people that wear red shirts? Statistically speaking, each one of these may be true. Would that give the store the power to harass these people?
    I think you're missing the point. They aren't banning people, they are banning hoods. The reason they ban hoods is because they obscure faces from the CCTV. And if faces are obscured it is difficult to identify a thief. They are not banning a type of person, they are banning an item of clothing. Tesco stores, like all stores, are private property. If you don't agree with their rules, go somewhere else.

Unless they're gonna ban all head apparel this just looks like a bias against hoods.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I'm afraid I got lost after the first sentence...

"Discordianism is a modern religion centered on the idea that chaos is all that there is, and that disorder and order, the former considered a concept distinct from chaos, are both illusions (referred to, respectively, as the "Eristic" and "Aneristic" illusions) that are imposed on chaos..."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try the third and fourth.

There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] It has been called "Zen for roundeyes", based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They aren't banning people, they are banning hoods. The reason they ban hoods is because they obscure faces from the CCTV. And if faces are obscured it is difficult to identify a thief. They are not banning a type of person, they are banning an item of clothing. .
    I stand corrected.

Yet somehow the liberal in me feels there's a fallacy there somewhere. Oh well.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, the 500k jedi members will storm Tesco with their plastic light sabers now?

- - - - - - - - - -

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stand corrected.

Yet somehow the liberal in me feels there's a fallacy there somewhere. Oh well.
    I wear a hood sometimes and to be honest it does grate a bit that they're telling me what to wear in their stores, but they do have a reason for doing it and not wearing a hood is no big deal to me. I do wonder if the rule is just hoods, though, or any headgear that obscures the face. Maybe tomorrow I'll go in wearing my gimp mask and stetson and report back.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wear a hood sometimes and to be honest it does grate a bit that they're telling me what to wear in their stores, but they do have a reason for doing it and not wearing a hood is no big deal to me. I do wonder if the rule is just hoods, though, or any headgear that obscures the face. Maybe tomorrow I'll go in wearing my gimp mask and stetson and report back.
    I hope Tesco never need to call on the services of Batman.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i ever happen to open a shop i will set a rule that woman are not allowed to wear jeans, skirts only, jeans obscure the vision.
    just kidding.

I guess that the jedi could sue them... Despite the fact that his religion is having a hard time being accepted and treated seriously he could make a case.

I don't think that people who wear any sort of headgear based on their religion will take it off for Tesco, never seen a arabic shinobi female without the mask in a shopping mall or people taking off their turbans.

I would not take off my cap, i would go to some other mall after making a scene

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, the 500k jedi members will storm Tesco with their plastic light sabers now?
    Don't underestimate the power of 500 000 people wielding fictional weapons shouting for the force to be with them .

Hell, i might be scared if i was the target of a mob like that .

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastard View Post
    Don't underestimate the power of 500 000 people wielding fictional weapons shouting for the force to be with them .

Hell, i might be scared if i was the target of a mob like that .
    Does anyone else see the irony of that phrase?

I'd be part of the mob.

=]

Good night out, free, sociable...

Why not?

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    I hope Tesco never need to call on the services of Batman.
    Good point. Or any costumed crime fighter come to that. All they'd be left with is Doc Manhattan, and he doesn't give a stuff. Plus they've likely got a policy that excludes naked people, at least from the fruit and veg aisle

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.