Sketchbook: And so it begins...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: And so it begins...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And so it begins...

And so it begins...

Hello, CA community. This is my first sketchbook. My first post will be a bit autobiographical. I'm generally a pretty quiet person so my posts will usually be much briefer.

A little background about myself. My parents always carried a pen and paper with them when I was a child, because it was guaranteed to keep me quiet in restaurants.
    +15 years: Taking college-level figure studies classes because the high school art department has been decimated. My art teacher tells me to go to an art school rather than a traditional university. My mom (a professional artist) encourages me to get a practical degree so that I don't have to starve like she has for 20 years. I stun both of us and decide that I want to study art instead.

+5 years: graduated in a BFA in Sculpture. During my last year, I decided that I had really had enough of sculpture (more the department than the medium) and fell in love with painting. Like most university grads, I had absolutely no vocational training as an artist and no idea what to do after graduating. So, I applied to an MFA program in painting, and was summarily rejected. The advice that I got from the senior instructor has resonated ever since, "go set up a studio, keep painting and apply again". My garage was already my studio so back to the easel I went.

+10 years: after establishing a career in software development, I was choosing between getting an MFA or an MBA. I decided to go practical, and got the MBA. No regrets, but I knew that my art education was still incomplete.

+5 years: married, have child, established career. I get up at 4 AM so that I can draw before the family wakes up and my professional day starts. I stay up until 11 PM reading art books. I sculpt on the weekends. It becomes obvious to me that something needs to be done about this desire to create art. It simply will not accept playing second fiddle to a 'practical' career.

Today: Screw this. I'm going to take myself seriously as an artist. Time to really log the hours and return to fundamentals.

Recently, I've been inspired by MindCandyMan's journey, so I figure it's time to begin my own. I hope that this sketchbook establishes a baseline for my continued growth as an artist. I am humbled to be among giants and am eager to learn. So, let's get to it...

Jay

Last edited by jayarrera; September 21st, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture sketches

Just got a Wacom tablet set up. I definitely feel like I am starting over, as the tool is very unfamiliar. A few quick sketches. All poses are from Posemaniacs.

Name:  Gesture.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  Gesture2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  7.4 KB

Name:  Gesture3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  7.8 KB

Name:  Gesture4.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  11.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches for the day

More gesture sketches. Still trying to get used to the Wacom and develop a work flow (setting up, which brush to use, canvas size, managing the windows and palettes). I definitely feel like a beginner again. Makes we want to fall back on mediums I am more comfortable with just to redeem myself. Must...keep...learning...

Name:  Gesture_sm.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  Gesture2_sm.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  41.9 KB

Members who have read this thread: 1