Tablet tutorials

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wacom tips there are some help files depending on what kind of tablet ya got...painter classic being the software....

mercer

Thanks
    Thanks but thats more for skills in paint programs rather than the actual tablet, for example I want to know how to make clouds, fur...etc etc

Thanks
    capone,

A tablet doesn't paint or draw any more than a piece of paper and paint brush or pencil do the painting or drawing.

You do the painting and drawing, just as you would with traditional paper, canvas, brush, pencil, or pen.

You won't be making clouds and fur with the tablet.

You'll be painting them using whatever software you have, with the additional ease and comfort plus pressure sensitivity if any, of the tablet.

Both the software and tablet are tools, just as paper, canvas, brush, pencil, or pen are art materials and tools.

What a good tablet (Wacom, preferably) provides you is pressure sensitivity and with some Wacom tablets, tilt response as well. Wacom Intuos 2 tablets have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and higher resolution than the less expensive Graphire tablets that have only 512 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Using a tablet, you have more the feeling of holding a brush, pencil, or pen in your hand, allowing you more freedom and ease while drawing or painting.

The software you use will give you varying degrees of brush technology, Corel Painter being by far the most advanced in this area. That is, you'll be able to best simulate traditional drawing and painting tools using Painter.

If you own Painter, there are brush variants that, in the brushstroke itself, paint a simulation of hair though more advanced users generally prefer to paint their own hair using brush variants they can tweak to get the desired result.

Cloud painting, done the quick and easy way in Painter is done using a cloud Nozzle. Again, more advanced users prefer to paint their own clouds using a variety of brush variants depending on their preference and the look they're after.

What you need is good software and some good hair painting and cloud painting tutorials, many of which are available on the Web. Try doing a search both here and at Sijun and take a look at Sumeleth's links at Sijun too.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I do indeed have a intuos wacom 2 (A6) tablet, I'm finding it hard to get use to but I believe it takes a while (a few weeks) to get the hang of it. Its not so much the painting but more the changing colours and using the paint programs menus. I use Photoshop allthough alot of people swear by Painter. I can't quite see the 1024 levels of pressure though...maybe I have not set it up correctly but it seems to have more like...6...from soft to hard...maybe theres hundreds of very subtle inbetweens. Also not quite sure what the tilt feature is either...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.