Freehand illustrator wanted for children's short story
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Freehand illustrator wanted for children's short story

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Freehand illustrator wanted for children's short story

Hi there, everyone

I have written a very short children's story aimed at 4-5 year olds and am looking for an illustrator to produce the accompanying pictures. I am looking for freehand rather that computer-looking art, think Tintin as a starting point.

I envisage that on each double-page spread of the book there will be text on one side and the accompanying illustration on the other page. Probably about 15 illustrations in all will be needed, including covers.

The story is set in the Australian outback which provides opportunity for vivid and compelling illustrations of scenery, animals and the main characters of the story (a man & his dog, in a jeep going across the outback).

Needless to say, I don't have an absolute fortune to invest in this project so please give me at least an approximate ballpark estimate of what your commission might be for the work. That said, I am looking for the most 'sympatico' work rather than seeking to penny pinch. Probably US$500-1,000 for the right artist, I expect.

As part of the deal, I would purchase the work including it's copyright, though full credit for the work will be given in the eventual publication.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in finding out more please email me. If humanly possible, I'm hoping to wrap up this project up by the end of October & then seek to get it published or more likely sell it direct myself from the Internet.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from some great illustrators soon.

Best regards

Tom Burton
    London, UK
    Email: tburton@ibl.bm

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don`t want to ruin your job offer or anything, but just so you know, if you intend to buy the originals plus the copyrights for life time, this things have a price, and they`re usually way more than the original price range you are offering.
    There are ways of work this out, but, from my own experience, originals alone might cost around that, each illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would normally be interested in this, but Smash is right, your price is too low. The budget for a children's book is usually at least $3000-5000 for anything getting published (for 15 finished traditional illustrations, my price would be $200 each, which is even a little low for all the work involved), covers are additional, and the fact that you want to buy all copyrights to the art should drive the price up even more. Keep in mind that when you're talking about finished illustrations, the artist has to do sketches and color sketches in addition to working on the final, and that's often a lot more work, especially when changes need to be made.

Also, I can tell you right now that doing a full children's book from sketch to finish in just over a month and a half is not going to happen, unless the artist decides not to sleep. Usually publishers offer at least three or four months.

I understand that you're trying to self-publish and so of course you don't have as much to invest in this as a company would, but really, if you want professional-quality illustrations, you're probably better off trying to sell your story to an actual publisher and have them sort out the illustrator, since they'll be able to pay professional rates.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Contrary to what was posted above by my fellow artists, I am certain you will be contacted by plenty of hungry artists interested in the work and the amount (specificlaly the $1K), especially in this current down economy.

Last edited by gerrykissell; September 21st, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunatly, i have to agree with gerrykissell.
    At this point, having something is better than having nothing.

Last edited by maria-mar; September 21st, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There will ALWAYS be "plenty" of artists willing to work for just about any price, including free. Hell, some would be willing to pay you. The question is more, what level of professionalism will you get?

$1000 sounds like a lot to some. Sounds like a fair chunk of money, and it IS, but for 15 illustrations (including covers), it breaks down to less than $70 each (if we assume the $1k). That $70 has to include character design work, at least one round of sketches (likely more), communication back and forth with the author, research time, changes, etc. It's not a small amount of work. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being less than minimum wage. AND the author wants to keep the original work and all rights.

That is not to attack the author's offer. It's nice to see a job post where someone is trying to offer a decent chunk of cash. It certainly shows that the author is dedicated to his/her book, and a budget is a budget. You work with what you have.

So while "plenty of hungry artists" might be willing to take on that job, I wouldn't disagree with Viridis and smash.rs about the offer being low if you want professional level results. It's more work than some of those hungry artists might realize, and when they DO realize how much work they've gotten into there's a chance that they flake on the project, or rush the job trying to make the money worth the time spent.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I agree with all you said. On the other hand, if mr. Burton is willing to make little adjustments to his offer I believe he'll find a good illustrator.
    For eg. 100$ per illustration (I know it's a small amount, but it could be a decent one)
    And some fair contract regarding the rights. Something like certain percentage of profit when book is published...
    Just an idea...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just out of interest, what sort of illustrations are you after? I know you said "A man and his dog" and "A jeep", but do you want just characters? or full backgrounds?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't believe he will reply... he never answered my e-mail and that was about two weeks ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess all the mean scary illustrators scared him off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of job posters post a job and never come back. It doesn't mean the job isn't legit, it just means they are leaving posts in perhaps several places and trusting people who are interested will contact them by the email they provided. They also may not have time to respond to every submission.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He never replied to the e-mail i sent him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah... he was scared away... Poor bloke!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.