Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts

Bright orange river

So this is just about the most depressing thing I've looked at in a while.

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...=worldNews#a=1

"The river's flow ranges from murky white to a bright shade of orange and the waters are so viscous that they barely ripple in the breeze. In Shangba, the river brings death, not sustenance.

"All the fish died, even chickens and ducks that drank from the river died. If you put your leg in the water, you'll get rashes and a terrible itch," said He Shuncai, a 34-year-old rice farmer who has lived in Shangba all his life.

"Last year alone, six people in our village died from cancer and they were in their 30s and 40s." Every year, an estimated 460,000 people die prematurely in China due to exposure to air and water pollution, according to a 2007 World Bank study."

Rest of the article's here.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What's sad is that most people will gloss over a post like this on their way to discuss the MTV awards or rephrase the half dozen religious arguments that have been made time and time again.

It never fails to amaze me how little people care about our planet, as showcased by the condition of that river. If you've ever taken a look at the inner harbor in Baltimore (or any body of water near a large city), you can see human apathy and laziness at their finest; trashcans all over the place and yet a ton of garbage still end up in the water.

Fucking depressing.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's really sad. Is there anyway to provide these people with clean water, or even clean that river up? I don't know if it's even possible.

Thanks
    This reminds me of a story my ol' man told me of his farm when he was a kid...

His farms were very fertile, brimming with life because of plentiful water even in drought like conditions. Fountains of water gushed from the earth and poured from the cracks. Clean, pure. It wasn't until government scientists researching an aquafir's path until he realized what was going on, his property was built over top one of the largest underground rivers of pure water in the state of Ohio. The irony though is that a few years later the state put a landfill right where his and several other surrounding homes used to be. All the water toxic and unsafe... Just cruel...

I wish these people the best of luck but I also urgently hope that they escape the premises because water like that will probably kill them, either directly or indirectly.

editdat:: Although there will probably be no place to run to pretty soon how things are going...

Thanks
    I agree it is so sad for the people who have to live there and anyone, be it a government or scientist team member or what-not that contributes to this is a criminal to me both for the consequences on people and environment. And I quite have the feeling that things are gonna get worse.

Thanks
    If you think that's bad, read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8257912.stm

An Italian "waste disposal company" was loading cheap ships with radioactive waste, then deliberately sinking them in the Mediterranean to avoid the costs of proper disposal.

Thanks
    Nothing is quite as evil as indifference, nothing will be done to fix any problems unless it becomes lucrative to do so. We really are an endangered species.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierce9 For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    "We really are an endangered species."

Best news I've heard all week...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    This reminds me of some Indian and Chinese rivers poluted so bad they were indigo coloured, and everything in it and drank from it died.

Look at Coca Cola and India, in some regions they pump up all the groundwater so people and plants and animals living there thirst to death - just so the western world can get the cancerous Coca Cola.

Greedy human, you'll taste what you have sow soon enough. And you won't like it.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Delete this, doubble post.
    Last edited by LORD M; September 18th, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks

In Canada, specifically Alberta, they are planning on strip mining an area the size of Florida to extract the oil sands. Apparently the damage to the land can already be seen from space. All that and the native peoples that live there lack the resources to fund the studies to prove the pollutants being added to their water up stream is causing dramatic increases in cancer rates among both people and animals.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    yep, my faith in humanity just died again.

why does money always come first? it's not even worth anything if the things to spend it on aren't there. i just don't get people.