Problems With other "Artist"..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problems With other "Artist"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Problems With other "Artist"..

SOooo... Ever since I started Art school,(3 weeks ago) I'v noticed something. I pretty much hate most of the Artist/students here. Now Im not gona say I hate everyone but I have a huge disgust for most of them, most seem like either they do not wanna be here or the idea of studying for personal gain is so uncomprehendable its as if asking one to cut off an appendage. I was under the impression that College level art would be somewhat different and that Id find another...cough cough...CA'er here but thats looking a little slim

Has anyone run into a similer problem? I'm Mainly talking about how people in art school who don't really believe in Hard work and actively working on ones future seem to think that anyone who dose thinks their better and arrogant.

I guess ill need to explain better.
    Iv been here for about 3 weeks at Art school most of the people here have never drawn before pretty much ever. the few that have are all pretty much deviantartist....we don't really mix good they think im an arrogant bastard and i think their all uneducated wannabes. They do piss me off but i don't really ever care too much. Now to day was kind of a tipping point after class a girl was talking to me and she tells me I should get a deviant art so we can crit each other. Now I think I handled this well but I'm not really sure, i told her that their was no way Id get one and If she really wana be taken seriously Shed get something like a CA account..this is the nice version btw I probably sounded a lot worse. I told here it was for professionals and students and she automatically assumes I'm considering myself a pro. well things went wrong from their I misspoke and said something about Semi-pro because I'v sold somethings but not like a career or anything. I'm guessing the last part was kind of stupid om my part but She handled it pretty badly pretty much just saying im an arrogant bastard and soo on .....
    sorry
    End Rant

Anyone else slimier problems or what have you?

O Any One IN the IupuI section of Indianapolis, IN wanna get together for a little Sketchie.. ?

Last edited by Demo; September 16th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
    ~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I KNOW, this it is true

i sympathize

hold faith in CA my son

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get used to it, the first year of art school really thins out the people who what to be there and who don't. After the first year really only the most dedicated people will stay and everyone else who thinks that art school is a joke will quit. By the time i graduated only about 1/3 of the people who started, finished. And I only went to a 2 year school.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What school are you at?

Also, just so you know, I had the same attitude my freshman year at an art school and booooy was it a mistake. If you actually try to open up to people and and look past the deviant art accounts, you will get so much more out of it and you will make many more friends.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, feeling for you demo. I know what you are talking about. I just always follow my grandfathers advice:

keep your mouth shut and look moody

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So what if they have DA accounts? I have a DA account. Randis has a DA account. I didn't start drawing and painting seriously enough until I graduated college, and that was 2 years after switching to the art major. Now I barely do anything else. Make friends, don't judge, and maybe you'll get a serious group going.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just remember you are there at art school for you, not to impress other people there (except lecturers) because their opinions don't really matter in the long run.
    In australia the syndrome is called 'the tall poppie syndrome' - where people who excel are singled out and rejected from the 'mediocrity croud' until they 'pull their head in' as it were.
    A disgusting social trait for sure.
    Studies have shown that most teenagers would rather face physical pain than face social ridicule and this is a sad reflection of our species indeed as it says what about humans as a social creature?
    Don't let mediocrity drag you down.

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No offense, sounds like you're being a bit of an ass.

Now Im not gona say I hate everyone but I have a huge disgust for most of them, most seem like either they do not wanna be here or the idea of studying for personal gain is so uncomprehendable its as if asking one to cut off an appendage.
    You shouldn't really "hate" anyone or even dislike them for not having the exact same life goals as you. I mean, what are you saying to these people? What have they been saying to you? Are they being over the top and calling you an arrogant hater for drawing from life, or are they just the average high-school doodlers who are likely just going through their first year... my first year I drew fricken Vegeta for a project. People can gain perspective...

after class a girl was talking to me and she tells me I should get a deviant art so we can crit each other. Now I think I handled this well but I'm not really sure, i told her that their was no way Id get one and If she really wana be taken seriously Shed get something like a CA account..this is the nice version btw I probably sounded a lot worse.
    Wtf dude, she didn't say "hey get a DA account because it's obviously the best place to get crits" she said to crit each other. It doesn't matter what the venue is if it's just the two of you.

Also, DA is NOT the fricken boogie man. Look at my sig. I have a da account and I regularly get crits... not usually as detailed as the ones here, it just depends on the company you keep. Not everyone has watchers that fawn over everything they create.

I'm Mainly talking about how people in art school who don't really believe in Hard work and actively working on ones future seem to think that anyone who dose thinks their better and arrogant.
    Shit, I'd think you'd be pretty arrogant too if you automatically hate some people because they're not as dedicated as you.

What Kat said. You're dedicated, they might be less dedicated. Good for you? You all still like to draw, you have more in common with these people than you do with most others. For all you know that girl was looking to get to know you better (or at least try to include you in the group) and you kinda... blew her off. Semi pro? Selling a few pics =/= semi-pro.... Get some perspective, surrounded by these folks seems to be clouding your judgment a bit.

My advice: apologize to her if possible, get a DA account, be a friendly dude and chill out.

Last edited by Jason Rainville; September 16th, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: I fucked up that symbol

15. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    SOooo... Now Im not gona say I hate everyone but I have a huge disgust for most of them, most seem like either they do not wanna be here or the idea of studying for personal gain is so uncomprehendable its as if asking one to cut off an appendage. I was under the impression that College level art would be somewhat different and that Id find another...cough cough...CA'er here but thats looking a little slim

Now to day was kind of a tipping point after class a girl was talking to me and she tells me I should get a deviant art so we can crit each other. Now I think I handled this well but I'm not really sure, i told her that their was no way Id get one and If she really wana be taken seriously Shed get something like a CA account..this is the nice version btw I probably sounded a lot worse. I told here it was for professionals and students and she automatically assumes I'm considering myself a pro. well things went wrong from their I misspoke and said something about Semi-pro because I'v sold somethings but not like a career or anything. I'm guessing the last part was kind of stupid om my part but She handled it pretty badly pretty much just saying im an arrogant bastard and soo on .....
    sorry
    End Rant

Anyone else slimier problems or what have you?

O Any One IN the IupuI section of Indianapolis, IN wanna get together for a little Sketchie.. ?

Yep, you could have handled that better. Girl suggests you get together and crit each other, you suggest that the website she talks about is beneath you. Can't think why she got mad and stormed off......

*shakes head at lost opportunity*

I have a DA account, too. I've just never actually used it.

Edit: some highly respected artists on here also have DA accounts. It's not the only road to Hell......

Last edited by alesoun; September 16th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realize this will cause me to sound a little bit evil and calculating (but frankly I am). It's an important lesson that you don't always have to say everything that crosses your mind. You don't have to tell everybody everything that you know.

(And yes, it will be a little bit easier to make friends if you relax a little bit in the early going. Nobody's perfect.)

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what the other people have said. You're only in your first year. Some people might still be wondering what they want to do with their life and will take a couple of semesters before they get serious or they're adjusting to college life and living away from home for the first time. Just chill out and make some friends. There's more to becoming a successful artist than just drawing all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNfdxm4BBE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    No offense, sounds like you're being a bit of an ass.
    It hurts but you know your probably right, I mean i do have the stigma that if someone tells me to look at their deviant art im gona tell them hell no.."if their a student". I have no problem if someone uses it to host work but if they wana learn then to me their not taking it serious enough.

and part of your other post
    Shit, I'd think you'd be pretty arrogant too if you automatically hate some people because they're not as dedicated as you.
    What Kat said. You're dedicated, they might be less dedicated. Good for you? You all still like to draw, you have more in common with these people than you do with most others. For all you know that girl was looking to get to know you better (or at least try to include you in the group) and you kinda... blew her off. Semi pro? Selling a few pics /+/ semi-pro.... Get some perspective, surrounded by these folks seems to be clouding your judgment a bit.

I already said this that the whole semi pro thing was kind of stupid, and i Just misspoke. Im not going to hate everyone who might not study that much I mean im pretty lazy too and need to work harder but Id rather see people taking self education more seriously.
    Well I sent her an apology, thanks for the feed back

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Demo? I'd do the apology bit in person. Just my 2 cents.....

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Understandably it's just freshman year and students are getting out of their high school senior mode and are figuring out their paths, but it's not a good idea to burn bridges. As the years go by, student that aren't up to the curriculum would eventually either drop out or find another major, so by junior or senior year you wind up meeting/working with the cream of the crop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'd have to agree that you sounded like a jerk. I was on the opposite side of the fence when I went to school. At first I didn't like artists that had attitude or were arrogant towards me because I haven't been drawing all my life or because I was on deviantART. There were a lot of students though that were really kind and helpful. If you stop thinking about your classmates in terms of "me vs them" then you will enjoy school more. I thought of my classmates as sort of teammates and during critiques and class we were supposed to help each other so our art could improve. My interests were much different from theirs but that's what made it so fun.

Push your ego aside and try to be friendlier. One a side note, the scrubs and lazy get weeded out the further you go into school. Later you will find yourself around people that are as dedicated or more dedicated than you with art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never heard about this place until I went to school.

The first guy who told me about it was a total asshole, and though he *could* draw a lot better than I could (and I could freely admit it) he was of the mind that he should remind me of this fact... a lot.

The other guy was quiet but nice about it and linked me to his portfolio.

You can guess when I actually checked this place out.

I can freely admit that I probably fall into the same category as your friend from class, I drew a lot of anime (though I loved life drawing best, just could never really get to translating it to my work), mostly for friends and stuff.

People change, and they learn, and being a total ass about it and saying 'no way in hell' only means that you lose one person who was already willing to critique you and work together!

I second alesoun. You need to apologize, in person.

Just tell her that sometimes you get over passionate about the stuff you really care about. Tell her, maybe, that if she tries CA you'll try DA, or at least look in on her stuff once in a while if she'll come here and look in on yours?

If she's asking for critiques it's obvious she wants to learn too so no need to get so wrapped up in place and format. :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    I second alesoun. You need to apologize, in person.
    Thirded.

The "In person" part is important.

Typing "LOL soz, IR dick!11!" on AIM isn't the same.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Demo,

Yes there is many sides to this. Many people go to art school because they think it's an easy ride and not many have the dedication to see it through. I can understand the frustration. However, many are there because this is something they want to do but never got the correct mindset in place to do it. Unlike other professions there is a general idea of what kind of work you need to do and the mindset to have it.

If you're going to be a surgeon, you probably don't want to be too squeamish.

Art? Well yes, you need to draw, but people got in this business so many ways a lot don't understand what needs to be done in general for the rest of the schmucks who want to do this for a living.

Deviantart, despite its problems made it easier for artists to upload his/her works to share with a community.

So yes another echoing a personal apology to the girl is a good idea but just mentioning I can see all the viewpoints here and each has a bit of truth to it.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; September 17th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post

Typing "LOL soz, IR dick!11!" on AIM isn't the same.
    Haha..

Goddamn it, why does that sound familiar.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Iv been here for about 3 weeks at Art school most of the people here have never drawn before pretty much ever.
    I told you to get out of Indiana.
    You still owe that girl an apology, though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "slimier problems"

I've had many slimy problems, for instance, I get really bad phlegm in my throat every morning, and every time I exercise. My wife had a reeeeaaally slimy problem when giving birth. One tip to being professional is to check your typing. No offense intended.

Last edited by TASmith; September 21st, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feed back every one, looks like once again Iv been arrogant I though CA kicked it all out of me but it just returned in a different form. I sent an appology it was heart felt and not full of LUL'z and the such. Ill try to muster up the stuff for a face to face.

Elwell I know sorry il spend 2 years here for some basic of the basics which i can use a go over, then ill hit the road for all I can get. Looks like ill just have to stick to a good CA education for the time being.. That and I found the Loomis books and pretty much everything else in the schools library so hells yeah

...thread can be closed if no ones got anything else

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been a royal asshole. Get over yourself as fast as you can and magically turn into a person who looks at other people and sees people instead of whatever it is you see when you look at a person.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demo... where in Indiana are you?
    WHERE?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indianapolis, IN
    Herron School of art and design
    . anything further will require a PM

Demo's Digital Damsels

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, Im at Vincennes at the moment. Herron was my first guess since its the only art school in Indiana I can think of.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I remember there were ones like that at art school. The "ar-teest" type. They seemed like they were going to art school more for the image than actually being there, driven to learn. We had some people with some killer talent, but then there were the ones you mention that dont seem to believe in practice and honing ones skill. It seemed that were overcompensating for a lack of interest and talent with over the top "artzy" fashion sense. Some people you can look at them and they have that "artzy" loook to them, and they can produce and thats cool. Others, however, seemed like they were trying to hard to fit in that box, smoking cloves cigarettes and talking about theatre, etc. It's fine if thats just who you are but i couldn't help but get this overwhelming notion they were just doing it for the image. Not just doing what comes naturally, but trying very hard. It was all fun and games till it came time to actually produce and few really have very impressive portfolios.

Last edited by ArtZealot; September 17th, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Demo, you were raised by squirrels, weren't you?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.