teaching digital painting?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

teaching digital painting?

I may have an opportunity to do a lecture/demo at a local art college on using Photoshop with a Wacom for digital painting.

I've been painting digitally for a few years, and using Photoshop as a texture map-making tool much longer. To me, the most important things to understand when painting digitally are brushes (settings, creation, management, modes, etc) layers (management, modes, types) and color (mixing, swatches). I must admit, I've never been that big on masks - but that's me and how I work.

For those of you that paint digitally - what do you think are the important things I should cover? For those of you that are just starting out with digital painting, what would like most to know how to do?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ceruleanvii View Post
    I may have an opportunity to do a lecture/demo at a local art college on using Photoshop with a Wacom for digital painting.

I've been painting digitally for a few years, and using Photoshop as a texture map-making tool much longer. To me, the most important things to understand when painting digitally are brushes (settings, creation, management, modes, etc) layers (management, modes, types) and color (mixing, swatches). I must admit, I've never been that big on masks - but that's me and how I work.

For those of you that paint digitally - what do you think are the important things I should cover? For those of you that are just starting out with digital painting, what would like most to know how to do?
    Depends on what the student wants to learn. I'm not too big on fancy brushes myself, i mostly use a variation of soft/hard and a chalk/charcoal imitation for my sketching and colouring and maybe a simple airbrush for finish. I think one of the most important things to cover is value. But like i said, it depends. Are you adressing a bunch of art students who want to complement their artistic education by learning painting digitally as well as traditionally, or are you adressing a bunch of future video game programmers/designers?

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These students would most likely be illustration students. I would assume they already have an understanding of the basic concepts of value, color theory, etc. so I wouldn't consider this a how-to-paint, rather more of a how to use Photoshop technically as a tool to paint.

thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.