fight club still
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: fight club still

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fight club still

a still from Fight Club.. i'm relatively new to CA.org and to digital painting in general. any comments, crits, and suggestions would help! things i'm having trouble with are his right arm, the eyes, and the angle of the torso [edit] and the freaking lips, good lord help me with the lips!! [edit]. after looking at it and tweaking it for so long i started to get confused as to what can be called "stylized" and what is just sorta off.

and the ref picture

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dood, I'm sorry to say this but the head is way to far to the right, an easy way to see what I mean, look at the ref and line up things vertically, like where the middle of his pecs line up to his head, or the edge of his body (btw his left shoulder is too big). Getting a likeness down can be frustrating as hell, I'm doing portraits in my sketchbook and they are all off, gawd freekin doomit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i see what you mean. my sketch almost looks like a different frame, from a slightly different angle.. oh well, guess i'll keep workin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep practising. Remember to start with the basic areas and sizes before adding details such as abs etc.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright you have a solid figure, but you just need to correct your eye. Here is a tip. I use this technique a lot in portraits and figure paintings. What you do is you imagine that you are building the negative space of the character in blocks.
    So here is my quick paint over.

Do understand that you have to Imagine this in your head.
    Start from the head, build an arch over his top skull (refer to the first image). Then build supporting blocks around the figure. It is almost like constructing an building except you do it top to bottom.

Now take a look at your painting. I first applied the arch over his skull, and then build the other blocks along side it. Look! A basic figure emmerges within those blocks. Now that you have well porportionate guide to paint your figures in. Keep practising! If you got any more question, just pm me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow awesome crit, thank you all so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one more small crit: I think the shoulder on the left needs a little more bulk.. that arm and shoulder are a little bit less muscled that in the still.. no real anatomy problems with it .. just a bit less skin on there.

Nice still though, great movie!

Proudest

Could I have been anyone other than me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the piece. And what a great image to work from. Your work has a lot of potential. You seem to be becoming comfortable with what you're doing. You've got really nice colors and lighting. I might leave the sketch marks out of the final though. But in the end it's all up to you. Here are a couple of the things I saw that might help you out. I made some marks for you to notice but didn't comment on them. I hope this helps you out. You're definately on the right track, KEEP IT UP!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.