Tablet usage question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet usage question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet usage question

Ok, for years I have used my beloved Logitech Marble Mouse...in it's various versions. But, I've always heard that you shouldn't draw with those, and honestly, it's hard to get some really cool curved lines...without using the pen tool.

So, my solution to forcing myself to learn to use it has been to disconnect every other pointing device I have, and just use the pen.

But, I want to ask the experts. Is there another way to get used to this thing, or does it just take time to get used to.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As with most things, practice makes perfect. It's been 37 days since i bought the first tablet and i'd say i'm as comfortable with it as i am with a normal pen/pencil. I can't draw as straight/smooth lines yet, but that's because of the somewhat more slippery surface and the size of the tablet rather then the pen .

Oh. I use the tablet about 6-10 hours a day.

Last edited by Sebastard; September 16th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    - When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got tennis elbow from drawing with the mouse, which made me use the pen.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf29a View Post
    Is there another way to get used to this thing
    Play a daft casual game with it like Chuzzle, Tetris or something.

It'll get you used to navigating around the screen with the pen really quickly.

I realise this sounds odd, worked for me though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Play a daft casual game with it like Chuzzle, Tetris or something.

It'll get you used to navigating around the screen with the pen really quickly.

I realise this sounds odd, worked for me though.
    Using a tablet for non-drawing purposes can be quite fun. I'm pretty comfortable with mine, but I do use it to play StarCraft, since I have a laptop and don't actually have a mouse, which that game more or less requires. XD

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameRaven View Post
    Using a tablet for non-drawing purposes can be quite fun. I'm pretty comfortable with mine, but I do use it to play StarCraft, since I have a laptop and don't actually have a mouse, which that game more or less requires. XD
    Starcraft with a graphical tablet? That's like solving a rubic's cube with your small toes .

Me, i actually use the tablet solely for drawing, which i do more or less all day....still, i couldn't imagine using anything but a mouse for gaming. Actually have my beloved Logitech MX518 next to the tablet on a 4D Steel Mousepad, plugged in and ready. I still switch to the thing sometimes when i surf on the next since i only have the tablet mapped to one monitor.

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastard View Post
    Starcraft with a graphical tablet? That's like solving a rubic's cube with your small toes .

Me, i actually use the tablet solely for drawing, which i do more or less all day....still, i couldn't imagine using anything but a mouse for gaming.
    I told you, I don't have a mouse. For normal everyday tasks I just use the touchpad on my laptop. For StarCraft... that's not really fast enough. So I plugged in my tablet and hey, it is definitely quick enough to serve my purpose. Sure, I could buy a USB mouse, but I'm not willing to spend the cash on something that I use very infrequently.

I don't doubt it would be difficult for frequent gamers to use, but the only reason I played StarCraft at all is that my friends started up again, and it's just about the only PC game I play. I prefer consoles for my actual gaming.

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My intuos 3 came with a mouse, didn't yours?

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my tablet did come with a mouse, but I threw that thing away years ago because it was crap. It was a laser mouse that only worked on the tablet, which is not really helpful, , it wasn't very sensitive, and the sort of felt backing they had underneath got really torn up. So I pitched it.

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies, all. It's nice to see that I'm doing the right stuff, anyway.

I'm using mine for everything, really, except for those stupid farm games on Facebook...too darned much weird clicking, and then sometimes it likes drag, rather than click. I think it's just my ISP slowing down. The tablet works well for everything else.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.