Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts

snow leopard signs death warrant to CS3 users.. given up, starting over :(

i just made the upgrade, only to find out that photoshop (CS3) crashes every 5 or so minutes. now after doing my reading, it turns out apple have all but given up trying to fix the bugs and are simply stating that an upgrade to CS4 is the only viable fix, with no compatibility for CS2 and dwindling support for CS3.

all well and good if youre part of a big company, but having only just started full time freelance its potentially coming between me and rent, food, bills, etc.. its basically screwed me over royally. i cant wait a month for a major fix, i have deadlines now.

has anyone encountered the same problems, and can anyone offer a solution short of forking out cash (that i dont have) for CS4..?
    Last edited by stoph; September 17th, 2009 at 07:29 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey,

I just recently installed Snow Leopard on my MBP and to my relief CS3 was working just fine- However I have experienced some crashes when opening certain PNG files. Can't say what's up with that. Generally a scumbag move from Adobe and Apple.

Is there some specific tasks that make PS crash? Or does it just die randomly?

Sorry that I couldn't really help.

-J

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Juhani Jokinen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Post rescinded because I don't wanna get fuckin' banned.
    Last edited by KarylGilbertson; September 16th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KarylGilbertson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    if i use the text tool in general, or open more than one file at a time. there are other bugs that other users have reported, mainly to do with crashing at save time, that sort of thing

Thanks
    Argh matey....that's all I'm saying.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Actually...if you're one of the honest types...maybe GIMP can hold you over? I've only played with it, so I'm not sure how powerful it is, but it is free and might have a compatible version for you..maybe. TBH, I might devote more time in getting to know the program...Adobe shouldn't have as much control over our field as it does currently.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second CKLamb's suggestion. There are other programs out there besides Photoshop. GIMP is free and there are other ones (SAI or the upcoming Illustudio, for example) that are dirt cheap by comparison.

If you need Adobe Photoshop for some reason, well then you do what you gotta do. The thought does occur to me that if Adobe can't be bothered to give proper support for CS3 then perhaps they don't deserve proper payment. I haven't used Photoshop for ages, but from what I've been hearing it would seem that they charge an unreasonable price (especially outside of the US) for an unworthy product.

But as I said, I'd first consider Adobe's failure as grounds to change products entirely if possible.

Edit: On second thought, I'm unsure who exactly is at fault with this issue. I'm not much up on what's going on with Apple machines, so maybe pushing the blame on Adobe is a hasty judgment.
    Last edited by Anid Maro; September 16th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    id seriously consider GIMP if i werent already working in PS and the files i have for clients werent already halfway done.. i dont have time to learn a new program either. i wanna backup all my stuff but dont have access to an external drive, i am willing to reinstall leopard and revert to that, i had no problems there, but i wish there were a simpler (and less potentially destructive) way of going about fixing this..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    I'm pretty sure gimp can open psd files, but gimp files can't be opened in photoshop.

No harm in downloading gimp and checking if you can open your files!

Also, gimp is pretty similar to ps in workflow... only major issue is that the tablet drivers aren't as good.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i've managed to wrangle a spare macbook with CS3, i will transfer the files and work on that one until i can either get access to an external drive so i can backup and reboot, or they write a fix in the next few weeks. as it is, i can still use the mac, it just doesnt let me do anything of consequence.

so frustrating that apple arent willing to keep backwards compatibility a priority, especially if you're using an older version of something for personal preference as opposed to necessity, its like they've removed all choice in the matter.

Thanks
    Well, at least in the short term it seems like reverting back to your old OS will solve your problems and keep your hands clean. That's what I'd probably do and then start transferring future work to a new program that is compatible with Snow Leopard.

Also try GIMP anyway and see if you can open your files, like Daestwen suggested. I know GIMP opens PS files, but I dunno if it opens files from more current versions of Photoshop. Still, couldn't hurt to try.

Edit: Glad to hear you got a spare MacBook. At least you've got a ready solution to your problem, even if it isn't particularly satisfying.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks guys, i appreciate the support and suggestions. i will check out GIMP, but i'd prefer to stick to the CS family for cross platform compatibility and support. its not adobe's fault, its apples for not supporting. i'm applying for a business start up grant so if that goes well for me i'll be able to afford the move to CS4, until then i will make do between the two machines.

in the meanwhile, hopefully there is a fix that will mean i dont have to upgrade at all..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Keep your cool, stoph...you will find the solution

Hang in there!
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

22. The Following User Says Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    NEVER do an OS upgrade in the middle of important work. (But I guess you know that now .)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Does using it in Rosetta mode work?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    havent had a chance to test rosetta as of yet, but i've pinpointed a particular font thats been installed with snow leopard that causes a crash 100% of the time. if anyone else has the issue when working with fonts, it is called Menlo. that being said, no matter how many times i've deleted it from the font cache, its still present in PS.. still playing with settings, i'll let you know if i have success.

edit: found it's root in the directory - MAC HD> System> Library> Fonts>, have deleted it permenantly, hopefully none of the other bugs show up

edit 2: still crashing once i go to File> Save as...

edit 3: crashes when operating more than one file
    Last edited by stoph; September 16th, 2009 at 03:10 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stoph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks like your only option is to just downgrade and live with CS3 on Leopard, at least until there is some kind of solution. I don't think it's really any fault of Adobe for the people implying that. They can't really know how there software will run on an OS that didn't exist at the time. Worst case scenario, you lose $29 by not using SL.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to FactorZero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    like i said, im fine with adobe, theyve always looked after me, its apple who are enforcing the change. upon a few hours reading, i've found that people are experiencing the same probs with CS4, which leaves you with no options bar a clean slate.

word of warning - DO NOT GET SNOW LEOPARD. not at least until they bring out an update in the next month or so.

Thanks
    Good to hear this before I upgrade. I may go ahead and order Snow Leopard, but wait until they get the bugs fixed in the next updates. I'll have to keep an eye on things until then.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that really really sucks man.

Hope you find a fix soon!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Buy $299 Windows lappy and get trial version of Photoshop to hold you over while fix is being made? It's cheap and Vista will run all types of PS versions. Then, return laptop in 30 days and say you're going full Mac. Meanwhile, Mac fixes the bugs? It just might work

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

37. The Following User Says Thank You to magicgoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo View Post
    Buy $299 Windows lappy and get trial version of Photoshop to hold you over while fix is being made? It's cheap and Vista will run all types of PS versions. Then, return laptop in 30 days and say you're going full Mac. Meanwhile, Mac fixes the bugs? It just might work
    or couldn't he just download a trial version of CS4 for mac?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to FactorZero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ive read that a lot of CS4 users have been experiencing similar problems with crashing, so i dont think i wanna bother there either. i just went out and shelled out 150 bones for an external HD, backing up as we speak, will be able to reinstall OS later tonight and hopefully be bug free by morning

Thanks
    I'd advise you to go for the CS4 trial. It's at least more likely to run on Snow Leopard, if nothing else. And use an official installation. Adobe bootlegs always wreak havoc and crash, it's just the way it goes. Get a student version. That's isn't legal either, seeing that you use it to earn money, but at least you have a working version running. And when your first jobs are done, get the commercial version.

I'm still a little mad about CS5 being Intel-only. I just got an old G5 and can't even install Snow Leopard I guess that's the way it goes.

Also: Forget about GIMP

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Or just don't upgrade. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well that sounds like a great idea. Let's all use steam instead of electricity \o/

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    okay so i troubleshooted a little more. i think rosetta was the key (pun not intended), as it appears that whilst its an underlying script in the OSX, it doesnt carry over from Leopard to Snow Leopard. after DL'ing it, i've run all the prime crash causes, and so far so good! i'll keep peeps posted. thanks for the suggestion, Arshes!

Thanks
    I'm running Mac OS X leopard with PS CS3, and I have all kinds of bad crashing lately, including my brush library was erased twice. Not sure if it's bad luck or not.

I like Mac and I like Adobe, but not together. Adobe software always ran smoother on my Vista PC and I'm thinking if Windows 7 is all it's cracked up to be, my Mac will be only used for iChat & iTunes.

Thanks for sharing this, I was about to buy Snow Leopard after this paycheck - but I guess I'll wait a little longer until they sort things out.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Harkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Well that sounds like a great idea. Let's all use steam instead of electricity \o/
    I'm all for that. Have you seen how cool clothing styles get when you stick with steam?

Good luck Stoph. This is the kinda hurdle you didnt need when just getting going. I hope everything works out

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Sorry to hear that man, good to hear you're finding ways to tide you over (I can't suggest anything that others haven't already suggested).

In future I say just don't upgrade right away. I always stay one version behind when it comes to software... The software comes out too frequently and rarely has any new features that are desperately needed. Once the version after that comes out, I'll check what the general feedback was on the second most-recent product, and gauge whether or not to use it from that.

I survived on PS7 for years with no qualms or complaints before going straight to CS3, and there are only a few extras on CS3 that I use... Upgrading every time really isn't essential.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast