Thanks

Gathering links for the introduction area, help us?

So, we're gonna try to gather some useful links to get new people in the forum have an easier time getting started in here, and we're scavenging the forums for some pointers and where to start.

I'm sure some here can think of threads that we haven't thought of or that might've gone beneath our radar though, so if you guys have any threads in particular that might be good for someone that looks for specifics or are trying to start out as a new member - or just is pretty new to drawing and wants to find the best information fastest, it would be much appreciated if you put it here.

Thanks in advance!
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    I think this one is kind of critical:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/faq...b3_board_usage

Here is the big oil painting thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ainting+thread

The foundations for creating art: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26636

The Official Test Random Stuff thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96341

Irene Gallo's portfolio "How To, and How Not To" thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117091
    Last edited by arttorney; September 15th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not entirely sure what you're looking for, be it general art tutorials for new artists, codes of conduct for CA.org, or particular gems of wisdom from all around the site. So I'll just throw a bit of everything at ya'.

Here are a couple non-sticky threads that I find link worthy:

Advanced Composition Discussion
    Perspective 101

Also many of the stickies throughout the site would be good resources, particularly in the Tutorials section:

Ron Lemen's posts.
    Elwell on Edges.
    Prometheus|ANJ regarding General Art Concepts.
    Emily G explaining the proper use of photo reference.
    David Briggs' list of Art E-Books.

For new artists looking for a start, Loomis (off-site link from the Art E-Books list) has always been a great starting point.

For new members Davi put up a sticky in the Support forum.

Edit:

Some off-site links that I think are pretty good places go go.

Handprint for anything and everything watercolors.
    David Briggs' "The Dimensions of Color" to tell you more about color theory than you'd ever care to know.
    A whole lot of old tutorials and instruction materials over at the ASIFA.

Also Chris Legaspi put a couple posts up explaining his use of the Reilly Method.

If I stumble across anything else I'll stick it in here somewhere.
    Last edited by Anid Maro; September 15th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    We're also looking for the threads that best answer the questions/wailings/cries-in-the-dark that we seem to go through one after the other every once in a while...

Help! I suck...
    Help! I'm stuck...
    Help! My pencil broke and my head hurts...
    Help! Have to buy a new (pick one...)...
    Help! I'm not improving...
    Help! I'm braindead so I thought I'd take it out on you people...
    Help! How do I start (pick one)...
    Help! I have my crayons. So...do I need paper, too?

...and the thousands of other well-intentioned questions from the perennially clueless that do not know what the term "search" means... Get the idea?

We're trying to head off the clutter that plugs up the lounge and art sections that distract and prevent the rest of us from proving what idiots we are...

...and of course, we expect this to take a while to gather because YOU'RE ALL WORKING ON THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES CHALLENGE!!!!!
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Right'o Ilaekae, I see what you're up to now. Even if I don't think it'll actually reduce that clutter, it'll be nice to be able to answer with "go here". :)

I'll keep an eye out, anything useful I see or remember I'll toss up a link to in here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No one is interested in designing your tattoo for free: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ghlight=tattoo

My piece was moved from Finally Finished: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119263

Briggsy@Ashtons color theory discussion thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112049

And I've been thinking of starting "The Official Bash Kinds of Art You Don't Understand Thread" but I didn't know if I should start in the Lounge or just go straight to the Worst of CA thread.
    Last edited by arttorney; September 15th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    And I've been thinking of starting "The Official Bash Kinds of Art You Don't Understand Thread"
    "I don't get art" is actually one of those dumb threads that bashes art that someone doesn't understand but turns into a genuinely interesting and informative discussion.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Carnifex took the time to make a pretty ncie intro to CA couple years back.
    http://www.theartdepartment.org/foru...ad.php?t=90377
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Of course, The Artists' Reading List is one that should be linked to. Perfect resource for getting started. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=152626

Seedling's Concept Art 101 thread. It's an oldie but still a goody, and actually has more info and projects than I recalled. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    ...and of course, we expect this to take a while to gather because YOU'RE ALL WORKING ON THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES CHALLENGE!!!!!
    HERMA'S RISE IN REVOLT!

Still mad!
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    I think you should include MindCandyMan's sketchbook to show what this site is capable is doing for them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Goog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I've been wanting to put Mindcandymans thread in there somewhere as a shining example of what to do instead of "what not to do" stuff... Thought about it when going to bed yesterday and the one thread that I keep sending people to is that one.

Also, of course Carnifex' thread will be moved over there too, that was kind of a given.

Seedlings 101 threads I've also linked to a lot, and buimskee's "paint in PS" thread.. .But that's threads that I prefer, other people might have other things they prefer, so keep them coming ^^

And thanks again!

Blog

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Someone always links to this Chris Sears thread whenever there is a question about crosshatching: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117915

William Whitaker has a lot of good info on oil painting materials here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82263

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jhofferle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    This site has a ton of worthwhile information, but for people starting out, you don't want to overwhelm them. You should sticky two threads. The first would be the absolute intro, concise and well written, explaining the main forums and what kind of behavior is expected. The second could be a list of useful links for art ed.

The intro should merely give a short description of the major forums, and describe what they're for. i.e., for people who simply like to see excellent art, the Finally Finished section is where it's at. Only the best artists on the site can post there, and show their work. Anything deemed of lower quality is moved to the crit center. You may also find some excellent artwork in the Sketchbook forum, just look for the threads with stars.

For beginning/student artists, the recommended plan is to start a sketchbook thread, and post some work in the Crit Section. Leave your ego at the door, and be civil. Conceptart.org wants to help everyone to improve their abilities, but remember there are many members here, all looking for help. The best way to get it is to be persistant, respectful, and sincere. At this site, you get out what you put into it. Any art related questions should be asked in the Art Discussion forum. There are also various art competitions and activities in the CHOW and EOW forums. Be forewarned that copying from other artists (without giving credit) and/or claiming a photo paintover as an original work is frowned upon. (check link for bannable offenses).

Anyone who makes art other than concept work or illustration may find the Fine Art forum fits better. There are also forums for sculpture, toy making, and various digital programs.

For general discussion, not related to art, there's the lounge. Be respectful.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Thank you all for your help...you're doing just what we were hoping for. The more suggestions/links we get, the more comprehensive we can be when deciding on what finally actually belongs in the Intro section. It's always embarrassing to get finished and posted and realize you left out the 300-page thread on "How do I get started in Concept Art?" or "Where should I look first?"

A part of what we gather now will obviously be included in the Introduction, and the remainder will be organized logically into a form that will be appropriate for other locations, so none of your efforts and ideas will go to waste. I'm honored to share this forum with boneheads as astute, hard-working and generous as you are.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I think the most helpful thing for new people would be to fix the search function on this site. It has been brought up a few times in the support forum, most recently here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157386

If I do a search for "just starting" the site returns everything that includes the word "just" OR the word "starting" instead of only posts that include BOTH the words.

I used to think it was a quirk of vBulletin until I started messing around with the vBulletin site (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php) and found that searching for multiple words or phrases works as expected.

It makes it incredibly frustrating when you read a "try using the search feature" reply to the simple questions.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhofferle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

35. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dunno if you all are still lookin' for more links, but here's a good one:

Yoitisi's assignment on shadow construction from his mentoring section. I've seen a lot of questions before from beginners about shadow placement, particularly cast shadows, and that's a good tutorial for them.

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch guys!

A little bit (weeks!) overdue, I've started to put up some information in the introduction thread. It ended up being so much information that I have to make several posts so nobody goes blind trying to find whatever they're looking for, and so far I've made two posts that I suspect might be growing a bit - Introduction on where and how to show your artwork and Becoming a better artist, inspiration, regular activities and more. There's more coming, I just have to put it together a bit, as it's too much, too long, and too confusing

However, some feedback on these threads, is there anything I've missed, something else that should be in there, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Sork, how about a "Where do I look first" thread?

And, please, for the love of us all, can you do a "What is art, really,- no, what is the essence of art/where do I complain about art I don't like?" thread? xxx