Digital Painting beginner ..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Digital Painting beginner ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting beginner ..

Hi everyone, for some time I've been on this site but I never quite used it or got down to starting making concept art/digital painting. Well, here I tried some experiments with digital painting and would like some advice on how to improve on my technique. My background is illustration, but here I've decided to try something different: These are very abstract/experimental, they started off as blobs of color but eventually turned into something that I just visualized somewhat ..

Could you please tell me what works well in these paintings, what doesn't, how I can improve etc. Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    27 views already !!?? >>>> but no critique !? ... c'mon guys I woke up this morning thinking there'd be some replies but nada .. I hope these works arent that too s*** to be critiqued,

Even if your critiques are at their harshest - fire away !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are difficult to critique. Kinda hard to tell what we're looking at. Generally, I would say your technique is producing WAY too much black. There's black all over both images, with some color in between. That's just not how real life looks. Study lots of photo reference of the subjects you want to portray - you'll see.

You've also chosen some rather weird colors. The foliage in the first one is not yellow enough; most greenery in the real world is actually surprisingly close to yellow. Then the sky is a bright and unrealistic cyan, with similar shades showing up in the water below. Again, study ref. The second painting isn't as bad in that department, but it's just so hard to tell what exactly we're looking at. I mean, they seem to be buildings, but it's hard to tell anything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are your goals here?

Whatever they are, consider perhaps some less glaring color choices, more subtle highlights and shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANK YOU !!! - Finally 2 people had enough sense to reply !

Darkmeister - Yeah copying real-life from reference is something I'm lacking, as most of my work ends up being too over-stylized. The colors I chose came out just simply because I felt those tones would help bring out whatever became of the drawing ( Like I said I was just experimenting ) I'll work on that !

Minigoth - If you studied both paintings you'd see theres some indication of buildings ... next time I'll make my subjects look more convincing ! And I will work on those pointers you mentioned.

Thanks again !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's mostly way too bright :c and blinding. I can tell you were going for a stylized look but even so, should look into the basics of composition - one being the clarification of fore/mid/background, with the foreground being dark, the mid being balanced, and the far elements being faded and saturated. It's all one very bright blur.

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to me, there is no definate outline to your painting, i recommend you use the pen tool to trim the outline of your buildings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend the lasso tools and/or brush tool, personally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AestheticMachine - yeah even though I tried to adhere to it, I struggled to even out the composition in both works, I'll work on that.

aykevin - I don't know how you mean using the pen tool, but I'll look it up anyway

Datameister - Yeah lasso tool is great for blocking in shapes, but I prefer using the brush !

Thanks again people !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I assume he means that you make a shape with the pen tool that mimics the edges of an object, load it as a selection, and then paint, fill, or erase in such a way that the edges get cleaned up. You've got some spots, especially in the second image, where the edges are all over the place. Looks like you've been using low-opacity brushes on them.

Members who have read this thread: 1