Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Cow Worship Satan, Hail Lucifer

Does anyone else here worship the Devil?

I'm a follower of the evil Gods of Destruction and I have come to acquire nuclear weapons and set into motion an ideology which will destroy the entire world and every source of life existing.

I am here to do this because I believe life is a foul disease that distorts the instantaneous nature of time. The only way to achieve unity with the source is the complete destruction of this cycle of rebirth.

Please do not insult my philosophy because it is better than yours.

We Shall Ride the Great Beast Through Fire

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DazDaryl For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    orly?
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...my mother told me there'd be days like this....
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How about you draw instead

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    And now for something completely different...

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    And now for something completely different...
    Not much into anime anymore, but the animation in the 2nd video actually look really impressive, especially the hands @_@

Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    ​I will not read your fucking thread.

That's simple enough, isn't it? "I will not read your fucking thread." What's not clear about that? There's nothing personal about it, nothing loaded, nothing complicated. I simply have no interest in reading your fucking posts. None whatsoever.

If that seems unfair, I'll make you a deal. In return for you not asking me to read your fucking thread, I will not ask you to wash my fucking car, or take my fucking picture, or represent me in a portrait, or draw a picture, or whatever the fuck it is that you do in your spare time.

You're a lovely person. Whatever time we've spent together has, I'm sure, been pleasurable for both of us. I quite enjoyed that conversation we once had about composition and color theory, and why Coro Kaufman is the greatestart director who ever lived. Yes, we bonded, and yes, I wish you luck in all your endeavors, and it would thrill me no end to hear that you have a well-formed opinion, and that it had been made into the best thread since The 'Cheer me up'Thread.

But I will not read your fucking thread.

At this point, you should log off, firm in your conviction that I'm a dick. But if you're interested in growing as a human being and recognizing that it is, in fact, you who are the dick in this situation, please read on.

Yes. That's right. I called you a dick. Because you created this situation. You put me in this spot where my only option is to post something clever or be the bad guy. That, my friend, is the very definition of a dick move.

I was recently cornered by another member of my barest acquaintance.

I doubt we've exchanged a hundred words. But he was posting about a topic I like, and he cornered me in the right place at the right time, and asked me to read a two-page thread about politics he had been working on for ten minutes. He was posting because he was curious and wanted everyone's personal opinion.

Now, I normally have a standard response to people who ask me to read their thread, and it's to post a funny picture and maybe a clever response. I'd be an awful person if I didn't do either.

Most people get that. But sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the stupid factor is really high, or someone plays on a topic or a logical inconvienence, and it's hard to escape without seeming rude. Then, I tell them I'll read it, but if I can stop after 10 posts, I will. They always go for that, because nobody ever believes you can stop posting in a debate thread once you start.

But hell, this was a two page thread, and there was no time to go into either song or dance, and it was just easier to read it. How long can two pages take?

Weeks, is the answer.

And this is why I will not read your fucking thread.

It rarely takes more than a post to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who's batshit insane.

(By the way, here's a simple way to find out if you're a idiot. If you disagree with that statement, you're an idiot. Because, you see, idiots have no common sense.)

You may want to allow for the fact that this fellow had never posted art before, but that doesn't excuse the inability to form a decent sentence, or an utter lack of facility with language and structure. The thesis described was clearly of great importance to him, but he had done nothing to convey its specifics to an impartial reader. What I was handed was, essentially, a barely coherent list of ideas, some connected, some not so much. Some facts were backed up, some were not. Logical fallacies littered the post. Everything was slanted towards one political agenda or another. I could go on, but I won't. This is the sort of thing that would earn you a D minus in any Freshman debate class.

Which brings us to an ugly truth about many aspiring posters: They think that posting doesn't actually require the ability to think, just the ability to come up with a cool story that would make a cool thread. Posting is widely regarded as the easiest way to break into the internet, because it doesn't require any kind of training, skill or equipment. Everybody can think, right? And because they believe that, they don't regard intelligent posters with any kind of real respect. They will hand you a piece of inept writing without a second thought, because you do not have to be a thinker to be a poster.

So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something clever to say, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something clever about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do. Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to troll the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a idiot. If someone can talk you out of posting, you're not a poster. If I can talk you out of posting, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your drawing skills. And, for the record, everybody needs them. The lucky ones figure out that they should draw instead of post. The unlucky ones keep on posting shitty threads and asking me to read them.

To make matters worse, this guy had begged us to be honest with him. He was frustrated by the responses he'd gotten from other members, because he felt they were going too hard on him, and he wanted everyone to agree with him. We never do, of course. What they want is a few compliments to give the illusion of intelligence, and then some pats on the head. What they want--always--is encouragement, even when they shouldn't get any.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to tell someone that they've spent years wasting their time? Do you know how much blood and sweat goes into that criticism? Because you want to tell the truth, but you want to make absolutely certain that it comes across honestly.. I did more posting on that fucking thread than I did on my last forum accounts.

My first draft was ridiculous. I started with specific notes, and after a while, found I'd written three pages on the first two paragraphs. That wasn't the right approach. So I tossed it, and by the time I was done, I'd come up with something that was relatively brief, to the point, and considerate as hell. The main point I made was that he'd fallen prey to a fallacy that nails a lot of first timers. He was way more interested in telling his own opinion than posting the truth. It was like buying all the parts to a car and starting to build it before learning the basics of auto mechanics. You'll learn a lot along the way, I said, but you'll never have a car that runs.

(I should mention that while I was composing my response, he pulled the ultimate amateur move, and edited the post afterwards to cover up his mistakes.)

I advised him that if all he was interested in was this opinion, he should find a forum that agrees with him and post there; or, if he really wanted to be a member here, start posting art and stay out of the lounge, and start studying seriously.

And you know what? I shouldn't have bothered. Because for all the hair I pulled out, for all the weight and seriousness I gave his request for a real opinion, his response was a terse "Thanks for your opinion." And, the inevitable fallout--a week later a mutual friend on facebook asked me, "What's this dick move I hear you pulled on Whatsisname?"
    So now this guy and another member think I'm an asshole, and the truth of the matter is, the story really ended the moment he made goddamn thread. Because if I'd just said "No" then and there, they'd still think I'm an asshole. Only difference is, I wouldn't have had to spend all that time trying to communicate thoughtfully and honestly with someone who just wanted a pat on the head, and, more importantly, I wouldn't have had to read that godawful piece of shit.

You are not owed a read from another person, even if you think you have an in, and even if you think it's not a huge imposition. It's not your choice to make. This needs to be clear--when you ask a person for their take on your posts, you're not just asking them to take an hour or two out of their life, you're asking them to give you--gratis--the acquired knowledge, insight, and skill of years of work. It is no different than asking your friend the house painter to paint your living room during his off hours.

There's a great story about Pablo Picasso. Some guy told Elwell he should ignore the thread if he doesn't like it. Elwell whipped out the ban hammer and banned him permenantly, and said, "Thread Closed"

"Thread Closed?" the guy PM'd Elwell. "That only took you thirty seconds!"

"Yes," said Elwell. "But it took me fifty years to learn how to use the ban feature in thirty seconds."

Like the cad who asks the professional for a free read, the guy simply didn't have enough respect for other posters to think about what he was typing. If you think it's only about the lulz, then ask one of your non-member friends to read it. Hell, they might even enjoy your shitty sense of humor. They might look upon you with a newfound respect. But me?

I will not read your fucking thread.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

19. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N D Hill View Post
    Classic.

Thanks
    Buckweisel, your post smells like catshit.

Your Parents hate you and wish you would eat canned rodent from the floor like a household pet.

Noone will be your friend because when they touch you, you get an erection like a horny little puppy.

Emotional, Caring.. Thank you, I am.

Thanks
    I only offend people because I'm better than them.

Thanks
    Worship Satan, Hail Lucifer
    emptyquote ittttt

edit: in before lock
    Last edited by paberu; September 13th, 2009 at 02:33 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to paberu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Hello,

This is your friendly neighborhood admin, who was planning on ignoring this thread.

Here is your friendly ban warning. :]

You first post makes no sense but doesn't break any rules and to be honest I could care less.

Your latest two, however, are harassment. :] I would appreciate it if you would please stop trolling before I am regrettably forced to remove you.

Thanks in advance!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 282 Posts
    If you worship anything, you are on your knees... where a slave belongs.
    Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; September 13th, 2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: human-like spelling error
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    ​I will not read your fucking thread.

That's simple enough, isn't it? "I will not read your fucking thread." What's not clear about that? There's nothing personal about it, nothing loaded, nothing complicated. I simply have no interest in reading your fucking posts. None whatsoever.

If that seems unfair, I'll make you a deal. In return for you not asking me to read your fucking thread, I will not ask you to wash my fucking car, or take my fucking picture, or represent me in a portrait, or draw a picture, or whatever the fuck it is that you do in your spare time.

You're a lovely person. Whatever time we've spent together has, I'm sure, been pleasurable for both of us. I quite enjoyed that conversation we once had about composition and color theory, and why Coro Kaufman is the greatestart director who ever lived. Yes, we bonded, and yes, I wish you luck in all your endeavors, and it would thrill me no end to hear that you have a well-formed opinion, and that it had been made into the best thread since The 'Cheer me up'Thread.

But I will not read your fucking thread.

At this point, you should log off, firm in your conviction that I'm a dick. But if you're interested in growing as a human being and recognizing that it is, in fact, you who are the dick in this situation, please read on.

Yes. That's right. I called you a dick. Because you created this situation. You put me in this spot where my only option is to post something clever or be the bad guy. That, my friend, is the very definition of a dick move.

I doubt we've exchanged a hundred words. But he was posting about a topic I like, and he cornered me in the right place at the right time, and asked me to read a two-page thread about politics he had been working on for ten minutes. He was posting because he was curious and wanted everyone's personal opinion.

Now, I normally have a standard response to people who ask me to read their thread, and it's to post a funny picture and maybe a clever response. I'd be an awful person if I didn't do either.

Most people get that. But sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the stupid factor is really high, or someone plays on a topic or a logical inconvienence, and it's hard to escape without seeming rude. Then, I tell them I'll read it, but if I can stop after 10 posts, I will. They always go for that, because nobody ever believes you can stop posting in a debate thread once you start.

But hell, this was a two page thread, and there was no time to go into either song or dance, and it was just easier to read it. How long can two pages take?

Weeks, is the answer.

And this is why I will not read your fucking thread.

It rarely takes more than a post to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who's batshit insane.

(By the way, here's a simple way to find out if you're a idiot. If you disagree with that statement, you're an idiot. Because, you see, idiots have no common sense.)

You may want to allow for the fact that this fellow had never posted art before, but that doesn't excuse the inability to form a decent sentence, or an utter lack of facility with language and structure. The thesis described was clearly of great importance to him, but he had done nothing to convey its specifics to an impartial reader. What I was handed was, essentially, a barely coherent list of ideas, some connected, some not so much. Some facts were backed up, some were not. Logical fallacies littered the post. Everything was slanted towards one political agenda or another. I could go on, but I won't. This is the sort of thing that would earn you a D minus in any Freshman debate class.

Which brings us to an ugly truth about many aspiring posters: They think that posting doesn't actually require the ability to think, just the ability to come up with a cool story that would make a cool thread. Posting is widely regarded as the easiest way to break into the internet, because it doesn't require any kind of training, skill or equipment. Everybody can think, right? And because they believe that, they don't regard intelligent posters with any kind of real respect. They will hand you a piece of inept writing without a second thought, because you do not have to be a thinker to be a poster.

So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something clever to say, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something clever about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do. Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to troll the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a idiot. If someone can talk you out of posting, you're not a poster. If I can talk you out of posting, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your drawing skills. And, for the record, everybody needs them. The lucky ones figure out that they should draw instead of post. The unlucky ones keep on posting shitty threads and asking me to read them.

To make matters worse, this guy had begged us to be honest with him. He was frustrated by the responses he'd gotten from other members, because he felt they were going too hard on him, and he wanted everyone to agree with him. We never do, of course. What they want is a few compliments to give the illusion of intelligence, and then some pats on the head. What they want--always--is encouragement, even when they shouldn't get any.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to tell someone that they've spent years wasting their time? Do you know how much blood and sweat goes into that criticism? Because you want to tell the truth, but you want to make absolutely certain that it comes across honestly.. I did more posting on that fucking thread than I did on my last forum accounts.

My first draft was ridiculous. I started with specific notes, and after a while, found I'd written three pages on the first two paragraphs. That wasn't the right approach. So I tossed it, and by the time I was done, I'd come up with something that was relatively brief, to the point, and considerate as hell. The main point I made was that he'd fallen prey to a fallacy that nails a lot of first timers. He was way more interested in telling his own opinion than posting the truth. It was like buying all the parts to a car and starting to build it before learning the basics of auto mechanics. You'll learn a lot along the way, I said, but you'll never have a car that runs.

(I should mention that while I was composing my response, he pulled the ultimate amateur move, and edited the post afterwards to cover up his mistakes.)

I advised him that if all he was interested in was this opinion, he should find a forum that agrees with him and post there; or, if he really wanted to be a member here, start posting art and stay out of the lounge, and start studying seriously.

And you know what? I shouldn't have bothered. Because for all the hair I pulled out, for all the weight and seriousness I gave his request for a real opinion, his response was a terse "Thanks for your opinion." And, the inevitable fallout--a week later a mutual friend on facebook asked me, "What's this dick move I hear you pulled on Whatsisname?"
    So now this guy and another member think I'm an asshole, and the truth of the matter is, the story really ended the moment he made goddamn thread. Because if I'd just said "No" then and there, they'd still think I'm an asshole. Only difference is, I wouldn't have had to spend all that time trying to communicate thoughtfully and honestly with someone who just wanted a pat on the head, and, more importantly, I wouldn't have had to read that godawful piece of shit.

You are not owed a read from another person, even if you think you have an in, and even if you think it's not a huge imposition. It's not your choice to make. This needs to be clear--when you ask a person for their take on your posts, you're not just asking them to take an hour or two out of their life, you're asking them to give you--gratis--the acquired knowledge, insight, and skill of years of work. It is no different than asking your friend the house painter to paint your living room during his off hours.

There's a great story about Pablo Picasso. Some guy told Elwell he should ignore the thread if he doesn't like it. Elwell whipped out the ban hammer and banned him permenantly, and said, "Thread Closed"

"Thread Closed?" the guy PM'd Elwell. "That only took you thirty seconds!"

"Yes," said Elwell. "But it took me fifty years to learn how to use the ban feature in thirty seconds."

Like the cad who asks the professional for a free read, the guy simply didn't have enough respect for other posters to think about what he was typing. If you think it's only about the lulz, then ask one of your non-member friends to read it. Hell, they might even enjoy your shitty sense of humor. They might look upon you with a newfound respect. But me?

I will not read your fucking thread.

Sorry. I'm in a picture posting mood. For the record, I really did read it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

32. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    what the hell?!?!?!.....and here i was expecting to see some video on Lucifer or pictures of Lucifer or some crazy shit...
    ......but instead i see a post..of..ah uh...forget it...to disappointed to even write any further...

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DazDaryl View Post
    I only offend people because I'm better than them.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sweeet a picture of lucifer!! i feel better now!! hahahaaa

seeing pictures that depicts the anti-Christ always sheers me up

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

39. The Following User Says Thank You to SalOnimaruRem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, the Original Poster should be a comedian! I am still laughing

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    You know, i think its time for ca to implement a new type of ban.

A temp ban that lasts for how ever long it takes for them to draw a picture of themselves kissing an admins feet.

Means we would start to thin out the dicks from the artists, and hell it would be a good bit of entertainment for the rest of us. (and perhaps we would actually see some art from madster.)
    Last edited by Muz; September 13th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cow

I will not read your fucking reply.

That's simple enough, isn't it? "I will not read your fucking reply." What's not clear about that? There's nothing personal about it, nothing loaded, nothing complicated. I simply have no interest in reading your fucking reply. None whatsoever.

If that seems unfair, I'll make you a deal. In return for you not asking me to read your fucking post, I will not ask you to wash my fucking car, or take my fucking picture, or represent me in a portrait, or draw a picture, or whatever the fuck it is that you do in your spare time.

You're a lovely person. Whatever time we've spent together has, I'm sure, been pleasurable for both of us. I quite enjoyed that conversation we once had about composition and color theory, and why James Cameron is the greatestart director who ever lived. Yes, we bonded, and yes, I wish you luck in all your endeavors, and it would thrill me no end to hear that you have a well-formed opinion, and that it had been made into the best thread since The 'Hamster on Piano' Thread.

But I will not read your fucking reply.

At this point, you should delete your account, firm in your conviction that I'm a dick. But if you're interested in growing as a human being and recognizing that it is, in fact, you who are the dick in this situation, please read on.

I doubt we've exchanged a hundred words. But he was replying about a topic I like, and he cornered me in the right place at the right time, and asked me to read a twenty-page reply about north sea whales he had been working on for ten years. He was replying because he was curious and wanted everyone's personal opinion.

Now, I normally have a standard response to people who ask me to read their reply, and it's to post a funny picture and maybe a clever response. I'd be an awful person if I didn't do either.

Most people get that. But sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the stupid factor is really high, or someone plays on a topic or a logical inconvienence, and it's hard to escape without seeming rude. Then, I tell them I'll read it, but if I can stop after 10 pages, I will. They always go for that, because nobody ever believes you can stop reading in a debate thread once you start.

But hell, this was a twenty page reply, and there was no time to go into either song or dance, and it was just easier to read it. How long can twenty pages take?

Months, is the answer.

And this is why I will not read your fucking reply.

It rarely takes more than a letter to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, but it only takes a word to know you're dealing with someone who's batshit insane.

You may want to allow for the fact that this fellow had never posted art before, but that doesn't excuse the inability to form a decent sentence, or an utter lack of facility with language and structure. The thesis described was clearly of great importance to him, but he had done nothing to convey its specifics to an impartial reader. What I was handed was, essentially, a barely coherent list of ideas, some connected, some not so much. Some facts were backed up, some were not. Logical fallacies littered the reply. Everything was slanted towards one political agenda or another. I could go on, but I won't. This is the sort of thing that would earn you a D minus in any Freshman debate class.

Which brings us to an ugly truth about many aspiring replyers: They think that replying doesn't actually require the ability to think, just the ability to come up with a cool youtube video that would make a cool reply. Replying is widely regarded as the easiest way to break into the internet, because it doesn't require any kind of training, skill or equipment. Everybody can think, right? And because they believe that, they don't regard intelligent replyers with any kind of real respect. They will hand you a piece of inept writing without a second thought, because you do not have to be a thinker to be a replyer.

So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something clever to type, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something clever about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do (Hell, I´ll do it for free in some cases). Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to troll the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a idiot. If someone can talk you out of replying, you're not a replyer. If I can talk you out of replying, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your drawing skills. And, for the record, everybody needs them. The lucky ones figure out that they should draw instead of reply. The unlucky ones keep on replying shitty replys and asking me to read them, and give them well deserved thanks.

To make matters worse, this guy had begged us to be honest with him. He was frustrated by the replys and the thanks he'd gotten from other members, because he felt they were going too hard on him, and he wanted everyone to agree with him. We never do, of course. What they want is a few compliments to give the illusion of intelligence, and then some pats on the head. What they want--always--is more thanks, even when they shouldn't get any.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to tell someone that they've spent years wasting their time? Do you know how much blood and sweat goes into that criticism? Because you want to tell the truth, but you want to make absolutely certain that it comes across honestly.. I did more replying on that fucking reply than I did on my last forum accounts.

My first draft was ridiculous. I started with specific notes, and after a while, found I'd written thirteen pages on the first sentence. That wasn't the right approach. So I tossed it, and by the time I was done, I'd come up with something that was relatively brief, to the point, and considerate as hell. The main point I made was that he'd fallen prey to a fallacy that nails a lot of first timers. He was way more interested in replying like crazy than replying the truth. It was like buying all the parts to a car and starting to build it before learning the basics of auto mechanics. You'll learn a lot along the way, I said, but you'll never have a car that runs.

(I should mention that while I was composing my response, he pulled the ultimate noob move, and edited the reply afterwards to cover up his mistakes.)

I advised him that if all he was interested in was this opinion, he should find a forum that agrees with him and reply there; or, if he really wanted to be a member here, start posting art and stay out of the lounge, and start studying seriously.

And you know what? I shouldn't have bothered. Because for all the hair I pulled out, for all the weight and seriousness I gave his request for a real opinion, his response was a single click on "Thanks for your reply." And, the inevitable fallout--a week later a mutual friend on facebook asked me, "What's this dick move I hear you pulled on GreatEddoTheConceptArtiste?"
    So now this guy and his mother and another member think I'm an asshole, and the truth of the matter is, the story really ended the moment he made goddamn reply. Because if I'd just said "No" then and there, they'd still think I'm an asshole. Only difference is, I wouldn't have had to spend all that time trying to communicate thoughtfully and honestly with someone who just wanted a zillon clicks on "Thanks for this useful post", and, more importantly, I wouldn't have had to watch that godawful piece of shit that his youtube video is.

You are not owed a read from another person, even if you think you have an in, and even if you think it's not a huge imposition. It's not your choice to make. This needs to be clear--when you ask a person for their take on your replys, you're not just asking them to take an hour or two out of their life, you're asking them to give you--gratis--the acquired knowledge, insight, and skill of years of work. It is no different than asking your friend the house painter to paint your living room during his off hours.

There's a great story about Pablo Picasso. Some guy told Elwell he should ignore the reply if he doesn't like it. Elwell whipped out the ban hammer and banned him permenantly, and said, "You´re banned, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE".

"Perm ban?" the guy PM'd Elwell. "That only took you three microseconds!"

"Yes," said Elwell. "But it took me two hundred & fifty years to learn how to use the ban feature in three microseconds."

Like the cad who asks the professional for a free read, the guy simply didn't have enough respect for other replyers to think about what he was typing. If you think it's only about the lulz, then ask one of your non-member friends to read it. Hell, they might even enjoy your shitty sense of humor. They might look upon you with a newfound respect. But me?

I will not read your fucking reply.

& for the record:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n9p5uC4fEE
    Last edited by Ian Miles; September 13th, 2009 at 06:05 AM.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Cool story, bro

Thanks
    So THIS, is where the retarded steam rose to from the Religion thread. I thought something was missing over there..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That looks like one of the photos i took in skegness. Love beaches and bikinis!

Thanks
    Wow. This is really stupid.

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keeviin For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast