Please help with anatomy. Greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm doing this piece for an assignment. We each picked a noun and a verb at random. I have robot and win. I like the concept for the image but ehh, Sure it's a robot, but something about the torso really distresses me.

I am also really looking for opinions on which sketch I should use as the final. Which do you find most powerful? Why?

I want to make him look more mechanical and really make the image work. I've tried making him look more mechanical...but I keep running into problems. Any suggestions, at all, are very much appreciated. In the mean while I am taking a slight break to do other work.

Thanks.

Last edited by kitehiGh; September 12th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The torso truly feels like a lack of a torso. He doesn't appear really durable and I get the feeling he could snap in two really easily.

There are billions of robots and robot designs you can find on the internet for inspiration.

EDIT: Like these:

http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_ima...08/30/robo.php
    http://artshiftsanjose.com/wordpress...robots-001.jpg
    http://electronickits.com/robot/bioloidlsmall.JPG

These were found by typing "robots" into a google image search.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    The torso truly feels like a lack of a torso. He doesn't appear really durable and I get the feeling he could snap in two really easily.

There are billions of robots and robot designs you can find on the internet for inspiration.
    I agree 110%

I am having the most difficulty figuring out the shoulders? Bahhh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kitehiGh View Post
    I agree 110%

I am having the most difficulty figuring out the shoulders? Bahhh.
    Use your reasoning and this isn't as hard as it feels. You really don't have THAT many choices for the mechanism you can use when you need a full range of movement (because I feel you're trying to illustrate that with the robot's movements). I'm thinking a ball joint is the simplest thing and go from there.

Really you can probably develop this thing while thinking about how the human body works (really, our arms work out because of ball joints- gives you the best range of movement with the simplest design IMO, but I'm no mechanical engineer) and then you are probably going to want to at least armor it some for protection.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking at robots online, mostly google, yeah. But I am having a hard time seeing the unerlying structure of them. I think I am going to page through some bridgeman and see what I can come up with that works and then post some new drawings in a half hour or so...mmm, do you think I hsoudl work on any particular one? Which one do you think relays the concept best?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think Quigleyer has a good idea there. Take a look at some skeletal references, see how a human shoulder works. Then it's relatively simple to modify that in a few different ways to mechanical versions. You might also check out prosthetics for much the same sort of thing.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prosthetics is a great idea Nezumi.

I was just thinking about this so I had to come back here. As a child (a rather destructive one, If I remember correctly) I took apart my share of G.I. Jos. If memory serves me correctly they work with a ball join on the shoulder and a rubber band running through the actual arm and connecting to a hook in the forearm. This holds the whole arm together pretty tightly and allows for a full range of movement.

Just brainstorming here.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    Use your reasoning and this isn't as hard as it feels. You really don't have THAT many choices for the mechanism you can use when you need a full range of movement (because I feel you're trying to illustrate that with the robot's movements). I'm thinking a ball joint is the simplest thing and go from there.

Really you can probably develop this thing while thinking about how the human body works (really, our arms work out because of ball joints- gives you the best range of movement with the simplest design IMO, but I'm no mechanical engineer) and then you are probably going to want to at least armor it some for protection.
    Thanks! I've been doodling around now...looking at some posemanic/slam dunk referances and whatnot...Really good ideas with the ball joint.

Much thanks. Let me mess around with that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.