Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to basics of Art

Thanks

More lines!!

Can you believe I didn't get bored of this yet? One hour of only drawing lines....

Anyway, these exercises are from this website:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116199

The star I think was pretty good on the first try, but then started to get more and more sucky haha.

Wow, the next several posts are going to be very very boring most people, I think. Sorry people...but as I said..back to basics. Can't get more basics then this, and I hope those out there starting art or are like me and going back to it may find this helpful.

I realized I didn't post the rest of the exercises from the color work I was doing. I will do that next, then break time is over haha. It will break up the line posts I guess.
    Last edited by anjyil; September 14th, 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Removing some unnecessary images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

A quick Color Revisit

These are the last few exercises on that Peer Tutoring thread.

The first image was more of that "How does the light affect the object". I really REALLY wanted to tear my hair out on some of these...at least he didn't use too many percentages, though I actually found those a little helpful. Not even sure how accurate they are...

After that, we went to finding color! I kind of had fun, until I realized that we were given the HB or S for photoshop..then I realized I became too dependant on the numbers provided and only looked at the colors after I used those numbers. I will probably take the templates and erase the numbers, then practice it again at on and off stages so that I don't memorize them. I noted the ones that I used the eye dropper and the one that I found gave wrong numbers, too.

The last one was working on material and how light affects it. Clay, matt, and metallic. I just couldn't use buttboy haha. This is another one I will probably revisit later. Anyway..back to practicing lines!!

Thanks
    You can really see the improvement on the shadows, and it's great that you have the patience to do so many of them! by the 3rd circle i would have gone like F THIS!!, anyway keep going!! i'm sure you'll be awesome in a bit if you keep going like that
    also there's a site called gigapedia.com or .org i can't remember, anyway you can find great complete free e-books of anything, i've found soo many anatomy books in there

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip--you were right, gigapedia.com

Yeah, once I get interested in something nothing puts me off from it. Drawing is the one thing that I can do for me and only me--it isn't for anyone else. S o I guess for that reason, I am able to put 100% into it without even blinking an eye. Kind of selfish when I think of it...

Thanks
    nah it's not selfish, you're passionate!!, that's a powerful thing....

Thanks
    Maybe...but I can't seem to put the same passion into teaching...I love teaching and all, but I really do put more effort in my art than my teaching...it's kind of sad.

Don't get me wrong--I put effort into my teaching and I do have a passion for it, but I just do moreso for my art haha....

Thanks

Yes, More lines!!

Told you it would get boring. I waivered between using the attachment manager like they suggest in the sticky thread or just using image attachments from photobucket. The attachment manager is a pain in the but, really--only one at a time and all that info you have to fill out. Ah, I know. I will try the other upload one.

Going in to hour two of line studies. Well, actually this time it was only about 30-40 minutes...but whatever.

I started holding my tablet pen more to the center and using my pinky finger as a propt and guideline. This seemed to work fairly well for diagnols and horizontal and angles, but impedied the vertical lines. So for vertical I tucked the pinky. I used full movements of the arm, kind of like sweeping gestures, and varied the speed at times. Sometimes quick. Sometimes slow. There is actually a huge difference already in the lines. It is really awkward to hold the pen so high, and I had a case of carple tunnel once long ago that renderd my left hand useless for a month, so I will have to be careful. I try to pick my wrist up, but it just wont stay up on it's own. I remember an art teacher telling the class to never EVER let the hand rest on the paper but I was never able to break that habit :/

Oh, and this is the last batch that I will upload. I realize now that I am probably going to do many many more exercise sketches. The next upload for this study will be the cumulative project and maybe one or two of new things I pick...like when I go to curves. ::listens to the huge sighs of relief that echo across the forum::
    Last edited by anjyil; September 14th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Ok, i see you didn't understand me right.

When i wrote "start with simple lines" i didn't mean "draw 5000 straight lines" (if you can't draw vertical lines well, rotate paper for 90 degress and draw horizontal). There is no point for beginer to draw perfect straight line, perfect circle or any other shape.

Check this thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=97046&page=78
    ..this is how you should start.

Draw from life. Look at object, study it and draw it. Draw it with simple lines. Watch the perspective. Don't shade, detail,...
    DO NOT i repeat DO NOT draw from imagination at begining.

PS: i suggest you to start traditional.

Thanks
    Hah I know that you didn't mean that--it just happened this way. I actually picked up some things from it anyway. It just suddenly was really fascinating stuff to me--I'm weird that way.

If by traditional you mean sketchbook and pencil---it's the same to me. I know because I have bounced back and forth the last couple of days. My hand and eye doesn't react differently in any way I can detect. Because money is tight and supplies limited, I reserve my sketchbook for going outside on nice days and special projects. I honestly don't understand why people keep saying "You have to start traditional". Even when they try to explain it to me, it makes no sense--a tool is a tool and skills seem, to me, to be transferable. I truly believe that there will come a time where people won't say that anymore...but ah well, that is just me. Thanks, though.

EDIT TO ADD: And no fair linking to such an awesome artist!! Haha. I don't know if I consider myself beginner so much as I just want to return to basics. I hadn't thought or d one anything with lines and whatnot for a long time. Besides that--I am very bored, so small things tend to amuse me.
    Last edited by anjyil; September 14th, 2009 at 04:37 AM.

Thanks

What is this?

Well, not too sure about this. I was going into Loomis and just started randomly sketching some lines to start on perspective and stuff--and this just kind of came out of it. Nothing was intentional or anythinng, either. It was a lot of fun and not something I normally do---I tend to avoid landscapes like the plague because of lines and stuff hahah. So meh, whatever--I thought in the end it looked kind of cool.

Thanks
    Here is thread about color theory: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17837

Don't use 100% black for shading
    If object is far away, you won't see so dark shadows like on objects closer to your eye.

Back to basics of Art
    this is stil faaaaaaar from good, but a little bit better

hope you don't mind overbrushing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to .:WoLf:. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hehe, no I don't mind at all. Looks really cool but it doesn't have the same feel...but then..I have no clue what that feel is. I was just playing around.

But you are right--of c ourse (hey, are you my mentor now? You are really good!) I either A) use black and too much contrast or B) Don't use enough contrast.

Oh, and I don't know if those were originally going to be stairs or not either b ut now that I see the brushover, it looks really cool as stairs! Thanks.

Thanks

Some works from my Sketchbook

These works are about 6-8 months old in some cases, but still pretty recent. This is all stuff before I got my WACOM. I minorly practiced some anatomy, but nothing serious. It was all for fun and because I wanted to get those images out. Some of them I will most definately redo after I do some more reference work.

Yeah yeah...I`m done playing around. I finished with the interesting basic basic exercises. Now I am going to places like posemaniacs and there was another that was lifeposes--can`t remember the name. Anyway, my first step is to do quick sketches of just the skeleton as I can see it. Basically the lines and dynamics of the pose. After that, I will add muscles to it, and then from there will go to actual person haha. That is what I did with portraits. Coloring and shading and value will just have to come with more practice and watching, I suppose. I will probably set up another still life, too. The weather is still nice and I will have more free time, soon, so I plan to take a walk and draw outside. Not much to draw around here...but I can`t imagine not going outside at least once during the day.

Oh, these are open for critique but there isn`t much changes I will do to them directly. As I said, I won`t redo anything until after I have gone through some more studies. This is just kind of laying the ground work of where I was versus where I will be at some day haha.

1. The first image has some reference work for the pose and fiddle--that was hard! It is at an angle because my drawing space was very cramped, so I was drawing from a weird angle.

2. This one is all imagination. I mainly just wanted to draw the dragon haha and the girl wasn`t well done. no reference on this one.

3. This one was actually a free-hand copy. I was using an actual image of Jin that I had found online and tried to match the colors. Sadly, I can`t find the original. I am sure I could google it...

4. This one is actually a panel of a story/comic I was working on. No, not to sell--just for me. I love to tell stories. I really wanted to capture a mood on this one. My husband looks at it and says that it really creeps him out---I did something right!

5. This is just an original character sketch. No reference.

6. Another character sketch. Again, no reference on this one. I mixed in some charcoal.

7. This is a self-portrait. I did some modelling work a while ago and took that image and drew it. (shhhh--don`t tell my husband! He might get mad that I posted this one haha)]

8. This one I drew a lineart and had this image in mind. I used some cheapo watercolor and then went over it with some cheapo colored pencils. Haha. I will definately recolor this one after I understand color better.

9. This one I did allllll the way back in the late 90s. I utilized mostly charcoal and graphite. Anime was a heavy influence that time in my life--more so than the works above.

Anyways, when I feel ready I will do a side-by-side of a portrait from imagination that I did several months ago before this whoooool fiasco, and then one I did from imagination after a bunch of studies. But that will be after a lot of reference practice so it may be at least a year--if not longer...who knows?
    My full range of work: http://anjyil.deviantart.com/gallery/

My weird sketchbook here (it`s best to just skip to the end haha): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post2430006

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast