Zbrush and Maya in the entertainment industry
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Zbrush and Maya in the entertainment industry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zbrush and Maya in the entertainment industry

Hello,

I am trying to get into the industry as a maquette sculptor and have decided to learn Zbrush to increase my marketability. When I tried to take a class I was informed that I needed to have knowledge of Maya as well.
    I have taken a 3D class before and did not do very well so I would prefer not to invest to much into something I may not be able to learn and seems so distant to my original goal.

Is learning Maya integral to my marketability as a maquette sculptor or can I just learn Zbrush?

Thank you,

J

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't answer your specific question but I can give some advice on Maya. As a concept artist I was also told it would help to have knowledge of it to improve my marketabilitiy and the first class I took for it went terrible and I barely learned anything. Trying to think about the 3d class you took and WHY you didn't learn the material. It probably has nothing to do with the program and more about the teaching style of the instructor or how the class material was set up.

My initial Maya class was very little in class time, all projects were to be done at home and the large assignment was a group project...all of which combined was not good for how I learn best.

So I took another Maya class which had lots of in class time (enough to do most of the homework in class so the teacher is right there for help), the assignments were very structured to only show the basics and the final project was a solo project. This class structure allowed me to learn the basics of the program.

Do also keep in mind that "knowledge" in a program doesn't mean you have to be in expert in it. As a concept artist I probably won't ever have to use Maya but the artists that I give my designs over to will, so I know that if I design a creature with 30 moving tenticles, each tenticle will have to be rigged and that adds time/cost to the project. If I didn't have the basic "knowlege" of Maya, I wouldn't know to avoid that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason they suggest Maya is because it is a standard app in the industry. But if your doing maquettes....it hardly matters what your source 3d app is.

What you do need, is the knowledge of how to create 3d geometry outside of Zbrush with clean all quad topology. You will need this for creating hard edged surfaces, and low res geometry.

There are a great deal of apps that do that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But to be honest, for marketability...all employers will expect Maya, Max, or XSI. Some accept Lightwave, Modo, or even Cinema 4d. This is mainly because you will also have to create low res geometry that is appropriate for rigging and animating. Zbrush cannot do that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks 2byts and Amber. Looks like I'll be taking a Maya class.
    Amber, which school did you go to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UC Berkeley, unfortunately that was the last semester the CGI Animation class was to be taught there Their art major is really just for gallery work, I wouldn't recommend it for this industry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.