Sketchbook: Greip's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Greip's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Greip's Sketchbook

Hello! My name is Martin Greip. I'm currently (since Autumn -10) studying Gamedesign and Graphics at the Department of Game Development in Visby, Sweden. Before that I spent three years learning the foundations in art. Drawing, painting and sculpture etc. I'm a pretty easygoing and humble person, feel free to leave as much (constructive) criticism you like!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Greip; June 17th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again, thought I'd update my previous post a bit.

Name:  alfmedpistol.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  53.7 KB
    Figure drawing drawn with the "wrong hand"

Name:  Alfmålning.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  120.4 KB
    Figure Painting, a bit expressionistic I guess.

Name:  CostumePenguin.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  181.2 KB
    Collagraphy

Name:  Kroki-kol.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  Mötet.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  190.6 KB
    Painter doodle

Name:  Sko-kollage.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  SP6.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  168.1 KB
    Self Portrait, Watercolour

Name:  SPwtcrl2.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  174.0 KB
    Self Portrait, Watercolour

Name:  wweweds.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  Tiger.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  205.6 KB

Name:  Spacecadet.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  170.4 KB
    Inspired by the song "Space Cadet" by Kyuss

Name:  StrayToastersfanart.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  206.8 KB
    Stray Toasters fan art

Last edited by Greip; September 12th, 2009 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the technique in the watercolour portraits.. actually just generally when you've used watercolours.

mere tak : )

... Sketchbook ... DevART ...TUMBLR ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks!
    Yeah, I luv watercolour. Too bad It's so hard working with when you're painting from imagination, but I'll have to train more.

Anyway, I've started to do some Bridgman studies. Since I think I've neglected anatomy studies for far too long!

Name:  Bridgman-orgy.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  158.1 KB

Me and some classmates went to Millesgården today to look at all of Carl Milles beatiful sculptures, drew a few sketches of them too!

Name:  Millesteckning4.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  Millesteckning2.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  Millesteckning3.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  Millesteckning.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by Greip; September 17th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you needa know what youre doing when painting with watercolours.. no ctrl+z or white acrylics to cover it : P

Nice hand studies, don't quite get the technique with the 6'edged square though? anyhow, you have a really nice pen pressure in your sketches, it's very clear on this piece: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1253204883 , the value is very different.

Would be nice to see more detailed work in the future : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greip--

You have some good work going on here. The "Collagraphy" piece is fantastic--both the technique/"style" ("style" in quotes because I really don't like that word, but sometimes it applies) and the ambiguous, yet thought-provoking narrative situation.

The Tiger-head Girl is interesting, too. I have no idea what's going on, but the hands & fingers (while being sorta wonkily drawn) look to me almost like she's covering a laugh about something that's freaking out the guy behind her. I'm a big fan of how you let your water media bleed out at the cheeks and mix with the pencil. If it were an illustration for something definite, I'd ask to see some more definition/refinement to make your story more discernable--it's possible she's not laughing; maybe she's shocked by her transformation and she's feeling her new, alien face. (But those wiggly, joyful fingers...!) As a visual free-association aside, I think it's interesting that her elbows look like breasts due to their form, color, and placement. Your application of materials/marks reminds me a bit of Kent Williams!

The bottom third of your second watercolor self-portrait is dynamite from the top of the moustache, all the way down. Your freedom made those parts beautiful and interesting! (Actually, the hair and top of the head are good, too.) The marks & layering you used in the beard hold a lot of potential answers for the top two-thirds...

Since you asked for a specific crit, I'll mention a few things I noticed: The Painter Doodle is scratchy and disjointed. If it's just an idea piece, that's fine, but when you post something it becomes more than that. As I was viewing it (scrolling down the page) I was ready to write it off, but then I got to the rabbit-guy with the gun, and he sparked my interest. He cracked me up! For some reason the scratchiness works with him: everything adds up to a quick-yet-realized sketch (minus that "X" mark on his shoulder!)

For the second watercolor self-portrait, (in the future) I'd just recommend forgetting that the face is IMPORTANT-important and treat it like a lowly beard! That lowly beard gave you the most love back, bro. You didn't get hung up on the notion that the beard was basically a semi-circle at the bottom of your face...and this freed you up to really look] at it and find an interesting set of marks/process to describe it. Some marks are large and diagonal, some are thin and vertical. Then you had the good sense to leave the paint alone and be watercolor. Long story short: think about eyes & noses that way. Don't think of them as two ovals and a cucumber, but as areas whose lighting/color forms tie into the lighting and color forms of the larger face. Allow some marks to "cross boundaries". You did that on your left eye (our right) with that large square-ish brushstroke that spans the bottom orbit and the eyeball itself. The upper right forehead (your upper right) does that nicely, too.

Watch those wacky wrists in 3 of the the Bridgman studies...but the thumbs and fingers are just beautiful...and authoritatively drawn.

The gestural figurative pencil work is free yet informative, and I like how you marry that with the yummy, loose watercolor in "Space Cadet".

The 5 min charcoal gesture and the last 3 Milles sketches are weak, and I'm simply saying this since I think you're serious enough to hear my unvarnished opinion. Here's why I think you can, among other things:

You are doing all the right things. You are working hard, you are experimenting, and you are posting. You are finding things that interest you and you're exploring your visual relationship with them. The crits I've written are really just small tips; I think you have a really good eye and that you are fully aware that everything comes, in time, with unrelenting practice and a constant sharpening of your eye.

I'll be keeping an eye on your work, and please stay in touch. Rock on...

best,
    Nick

Last edited by rusko-berger; September 20th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kawauchi--
    Yeah, I've always been bad at drawing hands. I have to work harder with that. But I've found a lot of good Loomis and Bridgman books on the net so I'll study hard with that!
    Thanks, I'm trying a different "style" now. I've spent the last year or so with making "Schiele-esque" drawings. I think I've got to go back and train with values and whatnot.
    I'll post more finished stuff in the future, If you feel like it you could always visit my DA page.

rusko-berger--
    You have some good work going on here. The "Collagraphy" piece is fantastic--both the technique/"style" ("style" in quotes because I really don't like that word, but sometimes it applies) and the ambiguous, yet thought-provoking narrative situation.
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with that one myself.

The Tiger-head Girl is interesting, too. I have no idea what's going on, but the hands & fingers (while being sorta wonkily drawn) look to me almost like she's covering a laugh about something that's freaking out the guy behind her. I'm a big fan of how you let your water media bleed out at the cheeks and mix with the pencil. If it were an illustration for something definite, I'd ask to see some more definition/refinement to make your story more discernable--it's possible she's not laughing; maybe she's shocked by her transformation and she's feeling her new, alien face. (But those wiggly, joyful fingers...!) As a visual free-association aside, I think it's interesting that her elbows look like breasts due to their form, color, and placement. Your application of materials/marks reminds me a bit of Kent Williams!
    Yeah, her arms and hands look weird. Tried to make it look good, but I'm still struggling with drawing hands. Have to work harder with that.
    I think that we humans are pretty pretentious in thinking that we're allmighty and whatnot. We're really just animals like all the rest. So she's trying to hide that fact or something. And that guy in the background is some kind of boring clerk who wish he were a monkey. That's what I thought when I made the painting atleast.
    It's an oil painting actually, but I've used a lot of linseed oil so I guess It looks a bit like watercolour or something. The elbows looks pretty strange, especially the right one. Meh... I'm pretty disappointed with the arms.
    Hehe, I'm a big fan of Kent Williams. I love all of his work!

Since you asked for a specific crit, I'll mention a few things I noticed: The Painter Doodle is scratchy and disjointed. If it's just an idea piece, that's fine, but when you post something it becomes more than that. As I was viewing it (scrolling down the page) I was ready to write it off, but then I got to the rabbit-guy with the gun, and he sparked my interest. He cracked me up! For some reason the scratchiness works with him: everything adds up to a quick-yet-realized sketch (minus that "X" mark on his shoulder!)
    Yeah, I guess It's pretty sketchy. Tried to make it look like a linocut, but yeah, It's sketchy. I'm pretty pleased with the composition though.

Long story short: think about eyes & noses that way. Don't think of them as two ovals and a cucumber, but as areas whose lighting/color forms tie into the lighting and color forms of the larger face. Allow some marks to "cross boundaries". You did that on your left eye (our right) with that large square-ish brushstroke that spans the bottom orbit and the eyeball itself. The upper right forehead (your upper right) does that nicely, too.
    Your absolutely right, I'll think on that more in the future!

You are doing all the right things. You are working hard, you are experimenting, and you are posting. You are finding things that interest you and you're exploring your visual relationship with them. The crits I've written are really just small tips; I think you have a really good eye and that you are fully aware that everything comes, in time, with unrelenting practice and a constant sharpening of your eye.

I'll be keeping an eye on your work, and please stay in touch. Rock on...
    Thanks for all the good crits, I'll be in touch! Love your work, but you already know that.

Last edited by Greip; September 20th, 2009 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! Thought I'd update my sketchbook!

As I've said in earlier posts I'm not quite happy with my "style" (or whatever). I used to draw like this, great for figure drawing (and observation stuff overall) but I felt that It wasn't that good when I drew from imaginaton, So I'm trying to experiment a bit with my drawing technique.

Life drawings
    Name:  Kroki-229-09.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  Kroki-229-09-2.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  Kroki-229-09-3.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  Kroki-229-09-4.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  70.9 KB

Yeah, I've still a long way to go. But It feels like I'm going in the right direction!

Still life studies, made with acrylics.

Name:  Stilleben09.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  Stilleben09-2.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  Stilleben09-3.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Stilleben09-4.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  Stilleben09-4detail.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  NomNom.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  102.9 KB
    "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruits are sweet", -Aristotle
    Assignment from school, we had to illustrate a proverb. The proverb Is kind of fitting for a sketchbook, eh?

Last edited by Greip; September 25th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! Nice book, not sure why but I find the woman with the fox head(?) intriguing(the fingers are a bit wonky but I quite like them like that). Liking your watercolours, nice last update. Your Bridgman studies look great, keep going like that and your well on your way.
    x

<_< >_> -----> Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Greip View Post
    Kawauchi--
    Yeah, I've always been bad at drawing hands. I have to work harder with that. But I've found a lot of good Loomis and Bridgman books on the net so I'll study hard with that!
    Thanks, I'm trying a different "style" now. I've spent the last year or so with making "Schiele-esque" drawings. I think I've got to go back and train with values and whatnot.
    I'll post more finished stuff in the future, If you feel like it you could always visit my DA page.
    I don't think the hands looked bad, I was just curious about the technique : ) I really love schiele's style too : D what other artists do you like? And I've noticed you like quotes too : p ..I used to keep an archive of quotes i collected xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RedSquirrel--
    Thanks! It's supposed to be a Tiger's head, but It doesn't matter really... as long as it looks like an anthromorph It's fine.
    Yeah, Watercolour is great. I like oil and stuff too but I love waterbased media. Nice to see so many fine artists who use watercolour here, I mean take DA for instance... you don't find that much there.
    It's good to hear that I'm going in the right direction!

Kawauchi--
    Well, I'm a big fan of Kent Williams stuff. Uhm... Roj Friberg, Egon Schiele, John Bauer, Kim Hiorthøy, Alvaro Tapia etc. ...and you?
    Hehe, yeah I guess! That sounds like a good idea!

Here's a mini update! A tiny (3x3 cm) self portrait!
    Name:  SP.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  56.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, thought I'd update with a few figure drawings.

Name:  Kroki3-06-10-09.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  Kroki-06-10-09.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  Kroki2-06-10-09.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  57.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small update.

Name:  Kroki-13-10-09.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  20.8 KB
    Name:  Kroki2-13-10-09.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  55.4 KB
    Name:  Kroki3-13-10-09.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  52.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! Not much going on I guess, just uploading some doodles of my hand and some figure drawings.

Name:  Handssdsdsdsdadas.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  Kroki20Okt09.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  Kroki20Okt092.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  51.4 KB

Last edited by Greip; October 20th, 2009 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

This week we got an assignment from school to do a new logo for Moderna Museet. Well, I'm really fond of Robert Rauschenberg's Goat so I thought I'd make a logo inspired by him. First I made a quick ink drawing, scanned it and traced it in Illustrator and then I played around a bit.

Name:  GetenTypsnitt.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  52.9 KB

When I was looking around on the net as usual I found a really funny photo of Marc Caro (french filmmaker and cartoonist), I just had to do a portrait!
    His right eye look a bit odd I guess, but apart from that I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Name:  Marc-Caro.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  206.8 KB

Last edited by Greip; October 24th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bikini Bot!

Name:  Bikini-Bot.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  109.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess what? Yes, lifedrawings!

Last edited by Greip; November 3rd, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Coop-Robbers.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  108.4 KB

Assignment from school. We had to illustrate a short article, I choose one where two robbers stole money from a food store called "Coop Nära".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya. I'm long over-due to check out your sketchbook, and I'm kicking myself for not having done so earlier; I really enjoyed looking through it, especially the life drawings and watercolors.

I love the bold strokes you used in your watercolor self-portraits. It creates a real sense of energy and personality. However (and this may be the result of the camera/scanner and not the actual paintings, in which case just ignore this), don't be afraid to go darker, darker, darker! There isn't much range of value, which can be a problem with watercolor as it dries lighter than it appears while wet.

I'll definitely visit again.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SaintAsh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    Thanks a lot, I agree with you that the colours is a bit pale. That's my biggest problem with watercolour, they usually get pretty pale. But I've started using tube colours and also try to reduce the amount of water when I paint. But this time It's mostly the camera's fault, but I agree with you. I should be more bold with my colours.

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is great to see what strong variety is in your sketchbook. Seems like your always trying something new. I mean, sometimes it could be good to push a certain technique forward, but it is also strong when you are versatile and expressive. keep it up! the birdman is very cool by the way!

\\\\\\\\\\ Sketchbook
    \\\\\\\\\\ BLOG - Botholand
    \\\\\\\\\\ http://www.felixhaas.de

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Yeah, you're right. Right now I'm trying to push my drawing technique to the next level. But as you've said yourself It's also good to be versatile.
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with that one. Collagraphy is a nice technique, collage and drawing in one!

And here's some new life drawings!

Name:  Krowkeeeh2.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  46.0 KB
    Name:  Krowkeeeh3.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  Krowkeeeh.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  Krowkeeeh4.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  41.1 KB
    Name:  Krowkeeeh5.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  78.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The usual...

Name:  Krki.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  51.0 KB
    Name:  Krki2.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  52.8 KB
    Name:  Krki3.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  50.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiiii,
    Those life drawings are lookin' good
    That Coop Nara illustration is cute/funny, i like the style of it
    Keep on postin' !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, ColorExcursion!

Right now I'm working on a christmas present for my little sister. I'm making a customized cover for a copy of Final Fantasy 9, just to make it more personal!
    Here's just a sketch of it, more to come soon.

Name:  Lifa-Tree.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  156.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This week we got an assignment to illustrate some of the articles in the Human Rights declaration.

Name:  Artikel-5.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  95.0 KB
    "Article 5
    No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people!
    I'm working on a cover for a small post-apocalyptic fanzine that will be called "Untergang", It's another school assignment. Right now I'm just sketching out some ideas. I picture a lone traveller dressed in a "pseudo-fallout-power-armour-thingie" (It consists mostly out of a scuba suit, but how could the stupid people of the future know that? ). I'm not sure If I'll use that font, works as a placeholder for now.

Name:  Untergang.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  Untergang-omslag.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  Untergang-omslag-experimento.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  53.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, here's a small update. Both of the images below are the same version, just wanted to show you with and without text and colour. As you've probably guessed by know I want the cover to have a pretty rough look, make it look like a linocut or something.

Name:  Omslag.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  77.8 KB
    Name:  Omslag2.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  135.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawings! Wheeee...