Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion ?

Thanks

Religion ?

just curious about what peoples views are on religion...

taking a completely neutral stance on this.

so what does religion mean to you, why do you believe in it. Has it been twisted by politics or is it politics. is it used as an excuse, an exclamation, a threat. Is it power. So yeah anything on religion. Why are some more violent than others why are some old fashioned.

why is it more believeable or reasonable than santa claus or the easter bunny or hockey / soccer. Why is it so special? why is it so contradictory to itself. why do we need to define?

question.....

(any religion by the way)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    i was in club nintendo
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Religion ?
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I think drawing an open can of worms would be a more useful exercise

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here we go... Haha I wonder how long until this thread is locked?

I think religion is a early, primitive, and failed attempt by man to explain the world around him. It is used by the powers that be to control and organize the mob under a banner or creed. In return it offers comforting illusions to people who cannot emotionally deal with the fact that they will someday cease to exist.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to phoric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Isn't it significant to acknowlege though that pretty much all cultures around the world have religion though? I mean even indiginous cultures who have no connection to the rest of the world have religion, so I think in a way it's part of the human brain's function. I'm not a religious person but I think that's a valid point though.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Boy, someone couldn't wait to try out the new prefix feature, huh?
    just curious about what peoples views are on religion...
    I believe in the almighty power of the search function.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh happy days, now I can filter out religion, politics and modern art.
    The world makes sense again.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like Christianity because it repackaged a pagan holiday for me in the form of Easter, which fills my tummy with yummy jelly beans each and every April/May.

Also, reading a book on the subject would probably get you better results. "Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology" by Louis Pojman was what I got handed when I took my Philosophy of Religion class, pretty good read it was. Certainly more insightful than anything that I've seen in previous religion threads here.

Religious internet threads are for arguing, not discussing.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    I personally love religion discussions. The problem however is that 90% of the time they devolve from religion discussions into religion arguments. It goes from an honest dialogue with various people into an ego dick wagging contest. And I hate to say it but the biggest ego-maniacal, arrogant, close minded dick heads are generally the "angry atheists". You know the types, the one's who do nothing but condescend to anyone who dares question them and their big genius brain. The one's who ironically match the ignorance and self righteousness of the religious zealots that they constantly criticize

Anywho, I'd like to have a discussion on the topic, but it doesn't look like too many people are interested. Which is unfortunate because this is one of the few (perhaps only) boards I've ever been on where I believe it wouldn't turn into a flaming war
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so... any Satanists here?
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Religion ?

21. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    It’s sort of like asking why if the universe is finite, what’s outside it? It doesn’t matter what science throws at you because there are still questions that we can’t even begin to comprehend the answers to. That's where religion fills the gap. Maybe with full understanding we won't need it, but in the meantime I'm happy being a Christian.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    LaVeyan or theistic?

That's where religion fills the gap.
    Black Spot, I love you dear, that's why I urge you to reword that since many of the more uppity atheists could have quite a go with it

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    not a huge fan of religion, in fact it would be perfect to keep it isolated an not given any significant role in a modern society.

AND KEEP IT OUT OF SCIENCE!

Thanks
    ok on topic...

my parents are Christians, tho not the hardcore type.
    I have no real religion, but i do believe in things, in some sort of higher force, but
    i do not give it a name or a face. Its omnipresent so i do not have to go anywhere to pray... besides i do not really pray, just sometimes express my hopes and wishes when i am troubled or a feeling of gratitude when i have good times.

I sometimes feel there is some sort of force that is taking care of me, i can not put it in words, its just like some sort of safety net if that makes any sense?

I respect religions in general, not for the source or their ideas about their gods but for the ideals between the lines.
    For me religions are guidelines and most religions imo have good values and guidelines for people, something to hold on to, something that can show the good sides of things, and
    teach people the bad sides too.

We all ask ourself at some point of out lives about a deeper purpose for our existence, the purpose of the human race, the universe. We are the only intelligent race with the ability to communicate on this planet, so we can not ask others for their opinion on life and purpose. Not having anything to believe in makes the life somewhat empty.

Religion is like a fairytale with a moral for me, despite all the angels and little Buddhas there is a great ideology and guidance. You do not have to believe in the gods, but being more nice to other people, less wars, more love, honesty, helping each other, equality...this are good things i say.
    - - - - - - - - - -

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some basic things that I believe:
    - If there is an all-knowing God, and if God created man or gave man the spark known as creativity, then God would know that each person is different, and would give them many paths towards righteous life.
    - If one considers God to be an all powerful and all knowing being, which humans are most certainly not, then one must concede that you are too imperfect to fully grasp the potential complexities of God.
    - Organized religions, in most cases, have a strong base in societal control. In other words, more often than not, religion serves not only to explain the un-explained, but to also set a precedent of behaviors for the society in which it is prevalent.

I am a philosophical Buddhist, meaning that I study the original teachings of Buddha, and use them as a supplement of my own personal moral compass.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    The one's who ironically match the ignorance and self righteousness of the religious zealots that they constantly criticize
    The argument that "extreme" atheists are just as bad as extreme theists doesn't add up imo.

Religion ?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    Anywho, I'd like to have a discussion on the topic, but it doesn't look like too many people are interested. Which is unfortunate because this is one of the few (perhaps only) boards I've ever been on where I believe it wouldn't turn into a flaming war
    Yeah, totally agree. But I don't think its wanted on this site.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Man Made God For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Has anyone actually read the bible? I tried, really I tried - it's fucking weird.

I found the God character really off-putting - I didn't warm to him at all.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMakesMonkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i did read the old version of the bible in German, tough read because the old German font is a tough read...
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    I don't mind christians. I just get a little pissed when they tell me they actually believe they're right.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

37. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I knew a religious guy once. Was an upstanding citizen. I would have gone to church with him on Sunday. But I had cartoons on
    SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Anyone ever play fat princess for PS3? it's a new downloadable title for only 14 bucks and it's great! i've been addicted to it since i bought it a few weeks ago, i highly recommend picking it up. What were we talking about again?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    God in the Old Testament is hardcore. O_o Damn all she did was look back. You didn't have to turn her into salt.

Anyways, I am not religious but my mother is a devoted Christian. All I know is: for every nagging, off-putting, and mean religious person, there are many more that dedicate their lives to charity and helping others.

I like the idea of Jesus and I like what I was taught as a child. I just don't believe there is physically (or spiritually) a God out there. I still live by what I was taught though because they were good lessons.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    I just painted an image of a possessed nun carving an inverted pentagram into her hand... Make an assumption.

Which would be invalid. I'm an atheist... Satanism is just as ridiculous as every other religion. I just LOVE to piss off Christians!

Thanks
    Ha, I actually like trolling atheists. :/ I'm so mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    I just painted an image of a possessed nun carving an inverted pentagram into her hand... Make an assumption.
    I see no such thing in your sketchbook. You sir, are a LIAR!

Thanks
    As has alreeady been stated, religion is a more primitive way of understanding our universe.

And please note: My whole religion spectrum is pretty much tilted towards Christianity.. I'm not generalizing the following text over other religions.

*My theory* -> The whole idea about an afterlife comes from people who didn't have much to look forward to in life (illness/ poverty etc) and knew death, having witnessed it more often than they cared about. So long story short, they made themselves feel better by telling themselves that after all this shit, something better would come. And in time that evolved from bed time stories and such into religion with it's heroes and bad guys.

The bible is nothing more than a historical documentary crowded with moral stories woven into everyday life and/or natural disasters. It should not be taken litterally.

God is just an imaginary friend whom you respect infinetly. The whole praying thing is just you putting your own problems on another's shoulders. We all know that just talking about whichever problems we have to a friend help immensely, makes you feel way better. Even though it's still unresolved.

I'm more anti-church than anything else, since I can't condone a -company- that focuses on keeping people in the dark and brainwashing them into ignorance.. and of course for a fee.

Oh, and by the way.. I'm not anti- church because of those few pedophillic priests yonder.. A few rotten apples don't ruin the apple tree..

And, I could go on forever, but I'll finish with this:

Religion is an outdated concept (regardless on which religion) and is now used as a tool for seperating you from your neighbour. It build prejudice amongst the human species as a whole (always has) and I'd really like to see a world without it.

I'm a strong believer of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, just because of what it stands for.
    My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mossi For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts

Hunchback...go stand in the corner til I tell you you can come out...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

49. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast