My teacher told me that only 3%of everyone of any profession, any profession, are able to succeed. So if you're within the other 97%, you're good.
I think it's better to at least try and fail than to not try at all. Your job is only good what you make of it. I want to be a concept artist so that people can see my creations and most importantly, I like it.
That means that only 3 percent of people who work at all succeed, and the other 97% are unsuccessful. I don't want to know about the unemployment rates in your country...
Even so, 'success' is a very subjective blanket term, which applies to individuals on a personal level. For example; my goal in life is to finish this sentence. I am now a successful person. I think perhaps if what your teacher told you had any merit whatsoever then the person who took the survey asked if their subjects felt as though they were successful, which all comes down to what they want in life... given the majority of the response, either they've set the bar too high for themselves or just want too much.
But if you just, y'know, got your sentence backwards, then jokes on me for writing so much.
I've heard the "don't be an artist as your job" thing for as long as I can remember. People have this idea of "starving artist" and don't understand that you can make a good living at it as long as you work at it.
Keep on keepin' on.
I do not think, that teachers especially Art teachers should not even talk like that. There job is to encourage people and you will even find that type of attitude in college or in life in general. Just not High School, I get that stuff a like. So I understand, how you feel artistically, politically, etc. But it would not hurt to have a second job, just in case.
This is exactly why my goal is to become a high school art teacher/freelance artist. There are too many art teachers now that, 1) Don't know what the hell they are talking about and only go with what they percieve as the truth and 2) Aren't very experienced in inspiring others to go for their dreams (I know my art teacher is exactly like that). I plan on carrying my lessons and moments from this site on to my future pupils and I hope to inspire them to look nay-sayers in the face and say, "fuck you."
Personally I find this to be a little more of a complex question. First of all a lot of this will depend on you and you alone. Are you self motivated and an insane work ethic? Because I have seen a lot of people pay lots of money for art school get good grades and come out without any skills to speak of. But the ones that were very self motivated and had a strong work ethic. The ones that could turn off the games, tv, internet and take a break from the parties and work hard got something out of it. The others just got a lot of debt or spent a lot of their parents money for nothing.
And this same work ethic and self motivation will be what helps you out in the job world later on. Because there are a LOT more people wanting to be artists for a living than their are jobs. So unless you have the work ethic and self motivation and hopefully some talent the odds are against you.
So sure you can be an artist and maybe you can make a living at it and even maybe you can make a good living. But it will all come back to you and the scary truth is even if you do work really hard and have some talent you still might not make it. But the attempt alone might be worth it
Errr if you didn't make it and you had talent/worked hard, wouldn't that indicate you didn't work hard enough? Or didn't apply to enough places...?
I just have to say that this is a pretty awesome thread guys. I'm all pumped up.
I think you just have to try things and go with whatever happens. Don't worry about not being talented enough if you're not even there yet: you find out everything as you go. And lots of people from all walks of life find out that maybe they have other, big dreams. Life is funny! And you might as well delve in headfirst, you'll never know otherwise.
This quote from Douglas Adams (a brilliant man!) is one of my favourites: "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
p.s: yes to you Forrest I for wanting to be an art teacher! my art teacher in middle school was amazing (he wanted to be a rock star originally and only became a teacher because his mum was fed up of him and paid for the training. But he obviously found his real, true passion there. Once he took us down onto the playing field and made us draw trees all morning.
It might not have been related to the school qualification we were meant to get, but it was loads of fun and way more beneficial!)
Last edited by gutss; January 16th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
I have to say, thank you for this thread. Right now I'm torn between to fields--Biology and Art--and this is very beneficial in my decision!
dudes, we are an army right here, art is everything to me now and its a wild ride, everything in life can be put on a paper or a screen for me nowadays i love it! a thousand thanks to all of you for the motivation and edifying my love for art, if you honestly look at your own art and see no true talent, then you have a 100% of room for skill development.
Also as an artist, I don't think we should ever be satisfied with our work. I believe that is what keeps us moving forward, wanting to be a better artist. You think the best artists out there are just sitting on their laurels, collecting accolades & praise for a great piece they did years ago? I think not!