New at Environment concepts. need help.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New at Environment concepts. need help.

Hey there. Uh. Letsee. First post. Woot. I'm trying to get better at concept art in general but my weakness is backgrounds and environments. So here is a WIP. Things that I definitely plan on editing/adding are:
    1. More detail in the foreground on the cliff.
    2. More detail to the tree.
    3. More details to the trees in the background off in the distance.

I would appreciate any comments or critiques. I'm kinda new to this whole atmospheric perspective too. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update. I've added some textures to the over all piece. Any suggestions or ideas to make it better?

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say you need to work on your primary light source. I assume it's the sun, but you haven't been very consistent. The tree leaves hint at a sun located directly above, or perhaps a bit in front of us. The trunk suggests a bright light source below, in the valley. The foreground foliage appears to be illuminated by a soft spotlight from above, and the mountains in the back really aren't catching much direct light at all. If you settle on a single primary light source for the whole painting (and paint a visible sun if it's going to be in that part of the sky), the whole thing will fit together a lot better, I think.

As far as the atmospheric perspective goes, I'm a little confused because you've got a pretty nice recession from lighter green to darker blue...and then the distant mountains become lighter again. Usually, it's a fairly simple gradient - if you're going to get into the darker blues in the background (which is fine), be consistent, and don't start lightening things up as they get really far away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. Yeah. I can totally see what you are saying about the lighting. I haven't really done a composition with outdoor lighting before. I guess when I was originally drawing this I imagined the light source (the sun) to be in front. I think I'll try adding it in the sky and work on the lighting again on the tree and hopefully that will turn out better.

As for the atmospheric perspective I didn't even realize that the mountains got darker again in the background. Thanks for pointing that out :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated the picture a bit. I tweeked the mountains in the back. Added a sun. Detailed the foreground a bit, and re-did the tree. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of adding some wild flowers to the foreground and maybe a bird on the trunk of the tree. c&c is welcome.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've still got that strong gradient from dark to light at the bottom, and it doesn't make much sense to me. That looks like a fairly flat patch of grass, in which case you'd only get that sort of look if it were being illuminated by a spotlight or something from above, something that only lit a certain area. The sun wouldn't do that. Sure, you get shadows on hills, but that looks different.

Also, with the sun that low, you'd probably want it to be a little warmer in color. Introduce some yellows and oranges into the mix - and generally, the sun just needs to be brighter. It should glow in the sky. The clouds could probably be repainted if that's where the sun's gonna be, too - every (backlit) cloud has a silver lining!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tinkered with it some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's better. There's a pretty strong contrast between the foreground and background, though. You might want to selectively introduce hints of more saturated greens into the blue - often, when you see landscapes that have gone blue with distance, the highlights kind of jump out of the blueness and show a little more of their true colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright. I'll give that a try. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. It really helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very wise man once told me (well, told the class):

"Trees aren't as easy to draw as you think. You should use a reference on them."

I agree and think you should find yourself a reference. that tree is what's killing the rest of the image to me.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.