Thanks

Creativity Block.... (kind of like writers block but worse)

Ugh, I'm terrible I have no ideas any more and drawing inspiration from other peoples work does not work. I tear maybe 20 pages out of a book before drawing something helf way decent and then after 10 minutes I decide to rip that page out too. I draw everyday and man, I still got nothing. Any suggestions on were to draw inspiration from were do you guys do it? Or just suggestions on drawing in general.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey pezz3d, ah that happens to me too. oddly though i dont usually rip my papers out of my sketchbook, i try to leave all bad and good(if there are any) as a sign of my progress. you could try looking over your old or you dont need to make stuff up. drawing from life can spark up some ideas, pretty much do some studies while you're in you're block. IMO sitting there with a blank piece of paper is pressuring, you could go take a walk or something to take your mind off HAVING TO PUT SOMETHING ON THE PAPER. im not too experienced but thats my two cents :nod:

Thanks
    Yeah I get that every now and again too. Sometimes I go through a phase where it's hard to draw anything and a blank white page can be extremely intimidating. Try reading books, sometimes I get motivated to draw some of my favourite characters or listen to music, use the mood of the music to inspire you. Find a topic/news/story/event that interests you, either in a good or bad way, then try and make a statement about that topic using art. Use a structure to draw, what I mean by that is ask yourself questions. e.g. do you want a Environment, character or vehicle?. Once you answer that ask yourself more questions untill you either start to see an image in your head of what you want to draw or you have a specific outline to design to. When you find that you are easily inspired if you come up with an idea that seems average instead of dismissing it becuase you have better ideas draw a thumbnail of it and put it to one side so when you are uninspired you will have something to draw and chances are it wont seem so average. I hope that helps, atleast that's what I like to do when I'm uninspired.
    Good Luck.
    BJ.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Keats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i got that shit for 6 years....
    lemme tell ya how much THAT sucked...

i got motivated by seeing other peoples work, and reading about their passions in art....it made me want to create again.
    i find tho, if youre getting frustrated easily, to just take a bit of a break...dont force it, you onlt get more frustrated and angy with what you produce....let it run its course, youll get inspired by something and WHAM!!! youre bACK IN THE GROOVE AGAIN!!
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Originally posted by Skank
    i got motivated by seeing other peoples work, and reading about their passions in art....it made me want to create again.
    Yeah, After I've read an interview from some cool artist I find that I'm bursting at the seams with motivation, I get so motivated that any frustrations with drawing just seem do disolve. Just reading about how passionate a pro is about art gets me motivated. Just talking about inspiration in this thread has got me motivated .

Other things that might help is doing things like the DSG (daily sketch group) or even doing tutorials. If you are frustrated/uninspired from drawing but still want to practice do theory instead, it will give you a break but you will still be covering important stuff that will help with art.

Thanks
    :/

I can't stop drawing it's like my favorite thing to do but if I continue in this drought it's gonna drive me crazy. I guess I'm just to picky you guys say you don't rip out pages but when I'm done with something I don't like every urge in my body tell me too. :./

Thanks
    I've had a creativity block for a few months now. Since I can't come up with anything good from my head, I draw from reference to keep my skills up to par.

Thanks
    man, i just do something else. try some exercise! it helps so much. if you have any other hobbies, do those. i like to play guitar, or do some web design.

Thanks
    if i cant think of any cool ideas for a serious pic, i just constantly work on my skills, like perespective, lighting, anatomy. I force myself to sit down and draw at least once a day, and usually just from doing practices something comes from that.

try using different medias. pastel, water color, oils, chalk, charcoal, digital, something youve never used before. just have fun and create. it will be fun and give you some ideas.

finally, for me just get out and live. be away from art for a day or 2. whenever i do this i always wanna start drawing as soon as i can again.

everybody knows what your going through. hope this helps.

Duztyn(db)Brown is offline "Reason is powerless in the expression of Love"
    Thanks
    BRO i am the same way.. I throw everything AWAY... but all these people had alot of great info THANKZ EVERYONE
    "One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself" so "Every good painter paints what he is"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    what THE FUCK?!
    DUDE,atleast pick newer threads on the topic.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Well, sometimes I think artist block is a sign that you have been working too hard on just one thing and that you need to take a break to get your mind off it for a bit. Usually for me sitting down at a nice little coffee shop and enjoying a drink helps. The only time that didn't have any effect I went to comiccon the next weekend and that did wonders for me.

Also, stop throwing stuff away, its hurting you. If you have crappy drawings then you have something to learn from. Also I think there is something unsettleing in seeing torn out pages, it makes you feel like "oh shit, I didn't draw anything!" instead of "oh shit, my drawings need improvement and I can see why." One of these thoughts causes you to freeze up and not want to draw, the other makes you want to fix things.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    what THE FUCK?!
    DUDE,atleast pick newer threads on the topic.
    He searched the threads and found what he was looking for. Isnít that what loads of posts suggest when a n00b comes in and asks a question? Is new better than old?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    searching,ok,but not replying. resurrecting a thread from 2004(!) is abit unnerving,to me atleast.
    Last edited by Carnifex; October 9th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Carni, you postwhore really contributing to the topic aren't we?
    When I'm running dry I usually just wander around my campus, find a place to sit and start sketching people walking by, the trees, whatever. I've kinda realized that not everything in my sb needs to be a monster or have pointy bits. So yeah... wander around and draw people... or something. Helps me out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    He searched the threads and found what he was looking for. Isnít that what loads of posts suggest when a n00b comes in and asks a question? Is new better than old?
    Yes and no. He replied to a thread that actually has been answered in other ones if he had looked.

He would have found replies like:

Go Read Art & Fear http://www.tedorland.com/books/artandfear.html

or Look at http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...90#post1432790

And Mind Candy Man: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

If you're searching for answers, take your time to look at all possibilities, don't just knee jerk and reply to an old thread because there may be another one that answered it.

/thread

Thanks
    Seems to me like the problem is you're just took concerned with having a presentable sketchbook. I know I used to have that problem, too, being worried about having this ugly stain in what I wanted to be a great sketchbook. Maybe just try leaving the sketchbook alone for a while, get some pads of bristol paper. You'll probably find you're less apprehensive about what you're going to draw when there's no real consequence of screwing up. You can just toss a bad page if you hate it.

You could also just sack up, and stop ripping out pages. But just switching the format you're drawing in could be an easier fix to relieve the pressure of a sketchbook.
    Last edited by Interceptor; October 9th, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I realize that the person who originally posted this has probably long since moved on in whatever direction life took them, so this is more just for anyone who feels like reading it.

I think one of the best lessons I learned in school was to stop approaching your artwork like it has to be this precious thing...otherwise you're never going to be free to create. Seek to top yourself, but stop wanting things to be "great"...the only possible reason for such a desire is acceptance, and acceptance doesn't have anything to do with you learning and progressing as an artist. In fact, humbleness and humility are your best tools when trying to learn. Worrying about stuff like that, especially with a sketchbook is a SURE FIRE way to choke off creativity behind a blanket of fear that whatever you're drawing won't be "cool." As a culture we need to remember that not only are failed experiments not bad, they're important. It makes you and your work stronger. Producing "great work" just to satisfy your desire to see something cool you created is purely masturbation...fun, but in the end you're right back where you started.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I find that the best cure for a lack of creative output is in increase in creative input. Watch movies, read books, dive into your image library on your computer and get inspired. Taking a break isn't always a bad thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,376 Times in 1,130 Posts
    After a quick first glance of this thread I was wondering why I had never seen a lot of these names responding.
    2004 was long time ago & I understand that Pezz3d's probably long left but I have to say that I agree with Cthogua's post. Having a visible record of your mistakes, improvements and growth in itself can serve as inspiration. I think that tearing pages out of that sketchbook and burning the bridges to all of your mistakes may only contribute to the problem.

Thanks
    I think it depends on the person.
    I think it can be just as healthy to move on, and not always see yourself making some of the same mistakes. You could get into a habit of making them iof you're too comfortable with your 'style'.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Same thing happens to me and i am sure everyone else. I am on a one month block now and still there. From pass experiences i think it is a good thing. It is a sign your bored with your work and you have to move on. Keep banging away and it will hit you sooner and later what the problem is.

I don't improve gradually i do it in jumps and the blocks are usually a sign of a jump to come.