Colored pencil illustrations for comic book covers?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Colored pencil illustrations for comic book covers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colored pencil illustrations for comic book covers?

I've been looking into Image Comics lately. And I've liked what I've seen about their submission policy. When they mentioned a colored cover, I was wondering how I'd go about that. My favorite color medium is easily pencil (prismacolor or what have you). But I realize I haven't seen this done for any comic covers at all. None that I can remember anyway. This could be good because I'd be striking my own out there, and the variety could only help me out. This could be bad because I usually only ever see very cut and dry solid tone art on comic covers, and that it may just be an easier and less expensive printing process (in which case my idea would get dropped like a bad habit for costing more money!) or they just plain don't feel lucid colored pencil is appropriate.

Are there particulars I should know about before humoring this idea any further?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Almost all comic coloring is done digitally these days. It's really no more expensive, and just slightly more complicated, to print from scanned art, though. If you could do an absolutely stunning colored pencil piece I don't think it would count against you. Colored pencil does tend to be a time consuming medium, though. For most commercial work it's used for rendering over watercolor, dyes, or markers.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if that is your style and is good enought ,people will turn to your style
    if you are worry,learn both and let them choose what they want for themselve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! If you want more informed feedback, you could post an example of your colored pencil art here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.