Sketchbook: krels sketchbook - Learning to draw..eventually ;c - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much stuff getting in the way lately :s
    And no, dont mean FF13. Barely had time to try it out today.

Tried a different approach for the quick posemaniacs. But I dont really know what I learn from doing it this way. Feels like im missing something, or doing it wrong. Gonna watch some Vilppu and see if it makes more sense.
    Any tips?

Attached Images Attached Images      
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Krel, first pic on 233 and first pic on 237 stands out, they are nice!

About the posemaniacs stuffs I think your last one is going into the right direction.

What do you do when the teacher is speaking and speaking and speaking, do you write everything ? all the words he say ? No you do not have time so you take notes. From my point of view 30sec drawing is the same, you take notes about the figure. You cannot draw everything so you have to capture the essentials stuffs.

The bing thing is to know what is essential...

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go go go, more progress more work you Bull you! page 9 already? I'm barely page 8!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The subconscious/passive part of the mind is greatly involved in learning. Don't worry if you "think" you don't know what you learn in some practices, just keep going. You'll know it eventually. I think you do have improvement, looking back to the first time i commented here. And how about some finished piece, have tried making that out?

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by witcrack View Post
    The subconscious/passive part of the mind is greatly involved in learning. Don't worry if you "think" you don't know what you learn in some practices, just keep going. You'll know it eventually.
    I respectfully disagree. In fact, I think that is a load of baloney . You will not improve if you don't understand the point behind what you're doing. In other words, If you don't even know know what it is that you're trying to accomplish, how will you practice it and thereby improve at doing it? There is a very practical reason for everything taught in the constructive approach to drawing. In order to improve, one has to fully comprehend that reason. In this sense, drawing is a highly logical practice.

@ Krel- Based on some of your recent posts, you seem a little confused about gesture. The goal is to get a loose, flowing drawing that establishes the rhythm, general placement, and action of pose you are trying to draw. Your most recent batch of gestures is the closest to achieving this purpose so you are headed in the right direction. Don't worry about the outline (seriously, don't), doing that will only stiffen your drawing from the get-go and will also kill your form later on. The reason in making the gesture so loose and flowing is that once you add the construction (simple forms), the drawing will stiffen up significantly; so if your gesture was stiff in the first place, you will have an especially stiff drawing at this stage which is generally a bad thing. Gesture is tough because it is so abstract (I struggle like mad with it) but it is an entirely fundamental step in the constructive figure drawing process.

I really hope that helps you out in any way, I struggled so much with learning gesture and I still have a very hard time with it. Studying Vilppu is good for this matter. Sheldon Borenstein and Michael D. Mattesi are also good to study. Good luck with your work.

Last edited by Sir Cam; December 20th, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, seems there's stuff on here I haven't seen yet! Or maybe I just missed it. Good sketches as usual.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow..so many replys. You are all awesome, motivating me like this.

Direkt: Thaaanks! You put that in a nice way. I tried it again today and atleast I kind of see the point of it now.

Danny: Well, I dont have a kid to take care of, haha. Im very impressed that you still have the time and strenght to study. You rock Danny.

witcrack: Thanks mate. What kind of finished piece would you recommend me to try?

Sir Cam: Thanks dude, Very helpful. I dont think its as black and white as you put it thou. I think drawing the outline can be as important as drawing the gesture, depending on what you do and what you aim for. But I want to master both "styles" so Im grateful for you advices!

Zeph: Hey mate! Thanks for dropping by Yah, I probably dump even more shit in this SB :p

---

Today was baaad. Completly unable to focus on anything for longer than a few minutes. At last I was able to doodle a Shibuya Girl which I felt atleast had a right to exist on paper.

I pray to the gods of drawing that ill get back on track tomorrow!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those gestures look like they might be feeling better to do. Are they?

Most of what I have to say concerns your planes head. The mouth and the nose are great, but the dip in between the mouth and chin is overstated and skewed. The neck is too thin.
    His right eye (our left) is out of perspective (it's tilted up) and is shoved up and to the edge of his head. It should be hiding behind the nose. Believe me, I know this is a tricky one, but if you always remember to think about eyelids covering and wrapping around a sphere, it gets a bit easier. A BIT. The forms technique doesn't work for the eyes (I find) as spectacularly as it does for the rest of the body. Why? Because the main trouble is the size and location of the eyeballs. It is for me, and it appears that it is for you (his left eye is a good shape). I suggest a couple of things. First, do not draw the contour of the eye socket first. It's okay to draw the eye socket first, which would necessitate drawing that contour, but until you have the structure of the eye area worked out, don't put in that line. You don't want to base anything on it. It looks like you've drawn a construction line but haven't stuck to it for the right eye, so after you've drawn all the construction you need to get them right, stick to it. Don't forget about or misread your planning. I also advise looking at the whole eye area as one unit to avoid disparities between eyes.

I'm in a bit of a rush, so that may have been written badly or not entirely relevant to your troubles. The gist of it is to nail the structure and placement and to do it as a whole (rather than right eye then left eye) before committing to any lines.

The chin is a wee bit skewed. It should be facing a bit more towards us and we should see a bit more of it. The contour of the cheek shouldn't be (I'm pretty sure) one consistent sweep. I think the best way to test this and to see what's going on is to get in front of a mirror and try it for yourself. (If you were already doing this, then you moved or didn't observe properly).

I'm about to be rushed out the door. I hope this made sense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craz:
    I dont know if it felt better to do the gestures this way tbh..maybe.
    It was quicker I think. But also I think they resemble the reference less than the outline ones. Even if the pose reads well, its not always the correct pose. Will do more tomorrow, see if I get any wiser.

EDIT: Read your post again. Alot of great info. I think the gist of it is to not try to do a planes head in 30min. When I do a more serious study I will take what youve said into account, and you can point out the fault if you want to/have time. It feels alittle unfair towards you when you spend as long analyzing and helping me correct a study as it takes me to actually draw it. Sorry!

Yeah, I know the planes head is all kinds of fucked up. Its off in so many places that I didnt even bother to mention it, hah. Anyway, big thanks for breaking it down for me. Ive never tried this kind of study and its intresting to read about the way you think. Especially about the eye socket.

Warning, bad habit below! Dont shoot me.
    I dont really have a construction "method" btw. I just start with a line somewhere and eye sight everything else, comparing the lenght and angle of the lines with each other.
    I understand this is probably a horrible way of doing things, and its almost certain that things will be off, and other things gets even more off becouse you compare the lines with each other.
    Im not trying to make excuses here, just explaining what I do so you guys can help me easier.
    (If I plan to spend alittle more time on a study, or when I "care" about the outcome, I usually work in more "accepted" ways. I think.)

Last edited by krel; December 20th, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work guy
    I think you should draw bigger, it's too short for the moment
    the statue is well done, the values are very good
    keep on drawing!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey krel - good for you for even having a Planes Head! On gesture - Here's what works for me: I lay in a quick egg/head trying to get the tilt/direction - the ear, a vertical center line and maybe an eye line provide enough indication for that - then a sweeping line that runs the length of the spine and moves right into the leg which bears the weight - one continuous line. Then judge the angle of the hips and lay in with an "axis" through the iliac crest (top of pelvis) - judge the shoulders axis - lay in - then a quick chest volume "cape" flowing out to arms. Importan things to "hit" - action/lean/twist of course - but also the weight of the pose - where the figure is anchored.
    Hope it helps!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good to see you going on and on while I'm just stuck somewhere.
    I really like the first shibuya girl and the plane face although Craz is right with it's critique the values are really admirable

Help appreciated
    in my

Sketchbook

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadManDancing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome krel, seems to me ya blitzing through with improvements. i should really pick my pace =P

Must keep drawing!!!

DeviantArt

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kogaras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danny: Ugh that really hurts you know! Like, deep down!

Twan: Hey dude, thanks!

Jeff: Thanks alot! I think I understand what you mean now, after todays studies.

Deadman: Thanks dude. Get to work! :p

Kogaras: Hey! Cool finding you here Checked out your SB before and I think your doing really good yourself! Thanks!

---

The Vilppu update

Today I started out with some poses as I usually do lately. And I still couldnt really grasp what I was supposed to do, or how.
    So I watched Vilppus movies for 3-4 hours, trying to follow along with his class, taking notes and drawing what he tought. And now I feel like its finally starting to make sense.

Afterwards I did a few sketches trying to apply Vilppus techniques, and, well, they look better than before I think.
    My gestures are still very line-heavy, but im kinda searching for the lines and angles so I think thats a side effect of trying to learn his approach to gesture drawing.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going back to Sweden over Christmas and New Years, which means no updates for 2 weeks or so.
    Have a Merry Christmas everyone! See yall in 2010!

(might have time for a small udate tonight)

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff bro gooood stuff, take a sketchbook with you and sketch everything you see, especially people in the airport and sketch the airport itself it's an engineering marvel those places I love them!
    any way happy holidays brother and have a good flight Cya next year
    Muhahahahaha

Signs out.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey krel have a good Christmas and new year with the family! Look forward to the new year updates take care

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is fun to watch this topic, because you have so much talent! Good Christmas!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to jderooij For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Have a nice Christmas you too

---

100 heads and organs from Loomis. Most of them look really bad, but the point of the study wasnt really to make it look awesome, but to learn some angles and posistions of the organs of the head. And I think I managed to pick a few things up here and there.

God I hate drawing Loomis.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn right, Loomis is just hardcore^^ But u did most of the heads and features very good. and I'm sure the hard work wasn't for nothing.

Well then, have a nice Christmas

Help appreciated
    in my

Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadManDancing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The posemaniacs are looking much better, great!

Have nice holidays and come back with a fresh mind

Cheers!

DeadManDancing : I would say it is not Loomis but Krel that is hardcore, 100 heads & organs XD so nice to see determination.

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

38. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great amount of studies, yarp!

You have huge problems with proportions tho, i know it's not easy as I'm still strugggling with it myself, but you must learn to draw humans as atleast 7 and a half hight of their head, so it will look more real. But hey it will come with time, just be patient.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Krel. Your doing very well for a couple of months into drawing. Keep it up man!

Ive just started the drawings from Loomis (and pretty much everything else)and noticed that you had them all boxed out at first but quickly went away from this. Wish I had the confidence for that myself!

Anways, have a good crimbo.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to xelby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that drawing so many drawing of loomis is useless if you don't try to apply what you have learn on drawings from mind. When you have drawn a face, try to do from imagination a similar head (not with the same details, but the whole)

have a nice christmass!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan View Post
    I think that drawing so many drawing of loomis is useless if you don't try to apply what you have learn on drawings from mind. When you have drawn a face, try to do from imagination a similar head (not with the same details, but the whole)

have a nice christmass!
    This, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Rather than leave a crit, I'd just advise that you keep what Twan wrote in mind. Your work is looking better in the last few posts so keep it up!

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo krel, mind sharing your real name, even if its just over pm?? You look EXACTLY like this guy I know from a summer course at Ringling...

48. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey krel I've really enjoyed looking through your SB. I have to say your progress is very promising . I look forward to seeing more.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone! No time for personal replies now, sorry. Ill read it all more carefully later. Cheers!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    let your sketch lines follow the form of the object your rendering.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1