Sketchbook: Hoping to spend more time sketching...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hoping to spend more time sketching...

I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated looking at some of the other thumbnails on the sketchbooks... good lord some of that is serious quality, but I need to sketch more, and I'm hoping this will motivate me to stay on the ball a bit.

So, without further ado, my first project for the sketchbook, a Gnoll Assassin/Archer. I've been working on it for a few hours already, so I'll post some in progress shots, then update as it moves along.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting to add the small details around the chest, along with the rest of the equipment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a break for a while, came back to it, finished up the bow, something about it's just not sitting right with me, and I may come back to it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is really nice. I especially like the feet. Keep it up.

Also, I think this will help keep you on the ball. Since I started mine I've been drawing like mad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Riddimensaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still not entirely happy with the bow, or with the right hand, something just doesn't feel right about the lighting, but it's good enough to serve as a guide when I start applying color, so I'll leave it be for now.

(Any suggestions or criticism, particularly on the lighting, are more than welcome. I have no formal training whatsoever, so I'm more than open to learning something new at the expense of pride.)

Last edited by Brodiggan; September 8th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've been gone for a while (to say the least) but a project came up that inspired me to work on a few more pieces, so I thought I'd share them here as I complete them.

Here's the first piece, a half page illustration of a psionicist, intended to take up the right column of one page in a two page class write up.

This was done in photoshop CS5 in a couple hours, and I wanted to make it look as much like an inkbrush illustration as I could given the timeframe. It took 30-40 minutes to assemble reference photos of faces, expressions, and a couple sets of medieval and renaissance armor/clothing, then another hour and a half (roughly) to actually get the image down. The background is a pair of fibonacci spirals copied and rotated around one another 10 times, then stroked with a couple different rough brushes and roughened up by hand in photoshop.

The foreground figure was fairly quickly sketched out against a white background, with the reference shots hidden in a couple layers over the sketch so I could check the proportions and details from time to time. Everything was done with a mouse (sadly, my tablet went kaput). Once I had the sketch I masked out the white background for everything but the foreground figure, to reveal the fibonacci spiral.

The last detail added was the little burst of energy in front of the character, that was just an inverted copy of the fibonacci background, run through a few filters, masked with a radial gradient, and set to multiply.

Quick. Dirty. But it turned out fairly well.

Last edited by Brodiggan; August 21st, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Replaced original image with a larger version (still 50% of original), 2nd edit: Fixed some grammar issues.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The left part of the bow seems to be hanging a little to low. Otherwise looking real good

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblesaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I believe at the time I'd planned to add some foliage on that side, the gnoll was leaning over and looking left because he was going to be ducking under a hanging tree limb and looking towards the light source/open space off frame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the graphic/ink look. I think the wolfman's bow arm should be bent slightly vs locked elbow for a more natural look. Also, he doesn't seem to be grounded too well..leaning too much. If hes in the air, then I'd make it more obvious.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaser226 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, and yeah, the gnoll definitely has some wonky spots. For the record, the forward foot is planted on the ground, the back foot lifted and tucked up as he steps forward.

The locked arm seemed appropriate because the the bowstring is half drawn, and I wanted to show that the entire bow/arm group was under tension, but it's entirely possible you're right and it would look more natural slightly bent.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.