Sketchbook: Echo Inside Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Echo Inside Sketchbook

Hi,

Been a lurker for a while, I've honestly been rather intimidated and was unsure of posting anything. But thought I'd bite the bullet and try to become active in the community... Part of that comes from that I've only been doing art in any frequency for about a year now, before that I'd maybe sketch something every few months at most. Same story as many I'd assume, in that I was discouraged from doing art as soon as I could hold a pencil because it's "not a real career". Bought a tablet and Mac about two years ago for something to do as a hobby (because of a friend of mine who'd done the same) and it marked the beginning of a massive change for me.

Since a year ago, I quit basically everything and decided to focus on art, I work contracts just enough to let me survive monthly and I live minimally. I actually just spent an entire months worth of resources to take advantage of the sale going on ;P

So to say it far more simply, I am utterly terrified of, excited for and in love with art. And the same goes for the communities =) Any feedback is of course, greatly appreciated!

And after that overly verbose introduction, here's some of my art in various forms of completion from every couple of months during the last year, newest first and oldest last =)

A good chunk of the pose is from reference, hair/eyes are a placeholder, never finished because of unhappiness with the glazing I attempted. Done in Painter. Was an art jam with a women who loves doing pinups =)
    Name:  Art_Jam_1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  91.9 KB

Study from a photo reference, rushed the legs and sphere due to tiredness. Done in Painter.
    Name:  Metal_Statue_Study.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  58.9 KB

Another study from a photo reference, rather happy with this one, also done in Painter.
    Name:  Pocketwatchstudy.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  65.7 KB

Partial photo reference again, done for someone where the concept was "Not every wedding ends in a happy ending". Done in photoshop.
    Name:  WaitingforHappyEnding.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  109.5 KB

Done shortly after starting out, I still like the concept (A mad scientist trying to be good and make toys, but whose creations still end up being evil) and the little pieces I put in. Done in photoshop.
    Name:  The_Evil_Toy_Factory.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  83.9 KB

My nickname is "Penguin" and I have a little sketched character based on that, this was spawned by a fun conversation. Done in photoshop.
    Name:  Zombie_Penguin_Luvins.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  34.6 KB

Am sure I'll be doing a lot in the next little while from what I learn from the streams/downloads. Thanks to CA and MB for providing this place and the resources, and glad to make acquaintances with everyone here.

Be well and happy arting!

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Hey man, don't be afraid to post art here! Stay active on CA and I guarantee you'll learn a ton.

As for your sketches so far, I'd say you need to shut the computer off for a while and focus on your drawing skills. Find some Loomis or Vipplu to study, do some life drawings, and when you feel more confident with those, go back to Photoshop and you'll find yourself greatly improved.

Thanks
    Thanks for taking a look Liffey =) And I have indeed already learnt a great deal from browsing around and the materials they offer here.

And thanks for the suggestions, I actually am slowly going through Loomis books and some materials by a student of Vilppu and those ofhim, himself. Problem is it always makes me want to try more complex things, so I rely on photo references currently, which I did for most of those above ;P

Is there any aspect you think is particularly lacking that I should maybe focus on? Am curious to know the views of others so I can advance =)

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    Hey there and welcome! I agree that you need to sit down and do some hard studies, especially of things like anatomy. Your painting of the watch I think is your strongest, also because I think your stuff tends to get that soft, dirty look unintentionally. Experiment a bit with brush settings, and try to keep your brushes hard for the most part. I hope that helps man

Thanks
    Hey majortom,

That actually helps a great deal. I've been trying to figure out why things always looked dirty, I thought it was a matter of colours and have been getting frustrated since I couldn't improve it a great deal. I'll definitely try hardening my brushes, I've mostly been using an airbrush, so it could easily be the cause.

Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated! =)

Thanks

Milla 1

Study done off a photo of Milla Jovovich over the past two nights, while poking at a Hogarth book. Trying to apply some things in the thought process from a reference, before I move on to from imagination work. (NB. couldn't find the original photographer to credit)

Relatively satisfied with this, could have kept noodling forever and I can already see a bunch of errors, but time to move on. Next project I have in mind should be interesting.

Critique always appreciated =)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Face Study Comparison

So, I decided to test myself today, specifically, how I do when I eyeball something, rather than measure it in any way. This may be evidence that I am a masochist. ;P

Anyway, I'm sure you can guess which one is the eyeballing, the other one was done by using my pen as a measuring tool - life drawing style from a distance. I decided to try and do one of the eyes by eyeballing again on that version, and that's why they're so mismatched again =P Ouch.

One good thing though, is that I'm getting faster, each attempt took only 45 mins, which is about a third of the time I used to take. =)

And now... off for half an hour and then back to it.

Thanks
    Hi! These are good. But try to do more life drawing and anatomy studies. There are some great tutorials/classes here so if you have time be sure to check them out
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17837

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Ivan! Hadn't seen two of those threads before, the Ron Lemen one looks especially useful, much appreciated =)

Thanks
    I forgot that I'd started this... my beloved asked me about it last night and I went "Oh, right!".

Might fall within the speedpaint range, think the total spent was about 3 or 4 hours. Basically, was just trying to focus on the atmosphere and lighting... trying to get a specific feel with a very limited pallet. Think it worked out pretty well actually. =)

Thanks
    So... I have this tendency to never really finish a piece. Or at least, very often that's the case. At least half my day is usually spent researching/reading, so often over the course of a few days when I'm working on a piece I'll get a bit further mentally and realise, "This is crap!" and move on. And so... this is the result of that situation repeating itself. Thought I may as well post it though =)

Thanks
    Just rattling the bones...

Thanks
    Hi Norm (or would you prefer Echo?),

Thanks for stopping by my SB ^_^ I appreciate it. I spent most of the last year studying anatomy, so please let me know if you'd like some help in that area. I'm by no means an expert, but I am more than happy to share what I know with you if you'd like ^_^ If you'd like some paint overs or some collaboration to help you with anatomy, please let me know ^_^

I look forward to going through your SB more. Thanks again for stopping by my SB. I hope you'll stop in now and again and let me know what you think, and I'll do the same in your SB.

The Only Way Out, Is Through.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Hey there, either way is fine =) Just a name.

And I'd love any input on my anatomy, though it might be more useful when I start attempting things from imagination. Right now I'm just methodically going through anatomy books. It would certainly be appreciated when the time comes though.

And I will be certainly, slowly gathering sketchbooks to subscribe to =)

Thanks
    Subscribing to sketchbooks is a great way to learn and to be inspired. I've been on CA about two years (only more active over the past year or so, and a lurking member before that) and I've subscribed to almost thirty sketchbooks. It's great inspiration, fuel and encouragement to go through and see others' work and progression.

A tip for going through the anatomy books: I've found that copying (repeatedly) is good for learning where all the bones and muscles are and how they are shaped. When it comes to practice, though, what worked really well for me was to do a ton of 1-2 minute gesture drills from photo reference books. I got myself a little timer and did about 125 gestures, focusing on the torso, and now I'm very comfortable drawing that part of the human figure. Next up I'll do the same thing, only focusing on the legs.

Hogarth says that the order of importance of forms for gesture drawings is:
    1. Torso
    2. Legs
    3. Arms
    4. Hands & Feet
    5. Head

I'm not entirely sure if he grouped the hands and feet that way, just pretty sure. It's in his book Dynamic Figure Drawing. All of his books are completely awesome and extremely helpful. He breaks things down simply, but you get all the info you need to grasp concepts and practice.

Drawing from imagination is so much fun--and it can be very educational because you have to work things out yourself. It also helps you see the areas you need/want to study more closely. Plus, after a long time doing studies and practicing gestures from reference or life, you get the itch to work only from imagination for a while.

Happy Drawing! Looking forward to seeing more of your work ^_^

The Only Way Out, Is Through.

Sketchbook Journeys

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CecelyV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i like the armoured guy in the fog. keep it up and dont give up! look at me in not half as good as any of these guys but in my mind im the best...... just think positive and it will go great! sry for the bad spelling -_-

Thanks
    DarknessAlchemistX:

No worries on the spelling, and thanks for the comment =)

Cecely:

Funnily enough, I started with the gesture drawings, I have a bunch of them, but kept finding that I was trying to figure out too much as I went along. Part of why I switched to anatomy now... figures I'd be doing it backwards ;P

And thanks a lot for the tips and how you progressed. That's what I was thinking would be the way to go, from spine/torso outward, but I wasn't sure. Nice to have it confirmed =) I actually have that book I think... somewhere... but I bought it as more of a "when I've got the basics down" book, I'll take another look at it for sure.

I'm definitely excited about this, thanks again so much for the input. Looking forward to seeing yours as well =)

Thanks
    Just wanted to try something different today, get away from anatomy studies for a bit, at least partially. In large part because of a great post I read today, reminded me to balance a bit more.

About 5 hours of work or so... and if you ask about the hair, it's either because I started getting tired... or it's intentional because she's wearing a really, really bad wig *cough* Your pick ;P

No need to critique though, I know it's horrible, was just having some fun. =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    I'll respond to your post which was very inappropriate considering women and children were present, by giving you critique that will make ye sinking ship echoinside.

Better get a wooden leg, because it looks like ye be using Gimp.
    Use the blur tool much? How that be working for ye?
    Why ye drawing pictures of the Dukes I be taking off me poop deck? But it be true indeed that the moon smiles upon them proudly.

PS:YYAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 6th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    *snerks* It's strangely appropriate you say it like that... because I was forced off the road and smashed into a pole on boxing day, so my arm is actually pretty gimped right now. And also, funnily enough I did this in the time it took me to leave my "contribution" at your poop deck ;P

Sooo... nyah...? Hehe =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.