Art: Badbrush

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Badbrush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Badbrush

I'll update this post with images as they are finished with the newest being first. The images here are ones that have worked out ok [ish].
    All are photoshop unless stated

I finished these images this morning so any comments or crit are welcome[/SIZE]

Cid in space
    Badbrush

Ravens Fanart-Still life of two models on my window cill.
    Badbrush

Images from this point are older.

ID
    Badbrush

Wander
    Badbrush

Cid
    Badbrush

1920 Pinup
    Badbrush

Gas? Speed paint
    Badbrush

Speed paint
    Badbrush

Spitfires [3dmax and photoshop]
    Badbrush

Siren
    Badbrush

Badbrush

Mortis
    Badbrush

Flyaway
    Badbrush

Squad
    Badbrush

Anyway i shall leave it at that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those are reaaalllly nice! Personal favorites of mine: Squad, Flyaway, ID and especially Cid in Space. The one of Cid smoking, his left eye seems odd to me, I thought maybe that was on purpose but I dont see the same thing in Cid in space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could work some on lighting, like for wander there are practically no cast shadows..also put some more time into your faces, study-wise, theres a lot of weird structural probs that I'm picking up. As for painting/color im a newb, so thats as far as i can go cheers! thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these must have taken you forever! Tons of detail! Great work Definitely work on refining those face shapes. I love the pinup though her left foot is a bit wonky.

The colors on your blue ID piece are my favorite because there's a distinct focal point and great contrast. Some of your other color palettes seem to be all over the map and it's hard to find a place to focus in your compositions. Try to zoom way out from your picture to take in the over all effectiveness of your colors and make a conscious decision to direct the viewer to what you feel is most important and move their eyes around your piece.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great critique chrismarie ^^ but I kind of like the way he uses colors. He doesn't include that one effective color that decides the mood/tone of a picture (like red for intensity and excitement or blue for a more serene feel). It gives the viewer a neutral decision on how we will interprete the scene, which makes it more mysterious in way. I'm speaking specifically about Cid in space. The others include subtle uses of tone colors like Wander's "Nuclear power" green, or Flyaway's Despair Brown. I agree there's still room for improvement, but he doesnt necessarily have to give up that style.

I dont know if Im making any sense, sometimes I dont articulate what's in mind very well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to you all, it seems i better start working on portrait's

I'll try some grey scale paintings then colouring them to see if i can get this colour issue sorted. For some reason though i can rarely get them to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works! I like the pinup most

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like these works! Cid is very strong! and he looks like one my friend))i will show him this picture - i am sure he will rename himself as Cid!
    pinup cool too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your work! It has a kind of Dave Dorman feel to the paint. The main critique I have is that the first thing I notice is the faces. Some of the faces seem off structurally. That 1920 pinup piece is coming along great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, nice use of colours but I definitely think that you could work on lighting and anatomy more. There seem to be a couple of glitches here and there.

To top it off, the 'flyaway' image reminds me too much of a very similiar image made by John Wallin. There just wasn't a character in his image and the balloon was replaced by a cocacola can.

-J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oritey> nice, I've been told so far he looks like the man from Saw [watched the first one and it bored me], a man from lost [don't have a t.v ]and also the android from Bladerunner who kills Mr Holden [fantastic film]......which wasn't the nicest comment as my surname name is Holden but with each of those people they have a very similar and distinct eyes structures and I think that's what's doing it. It was actually a self portrait mirror painting that I began to warp the features of and then age by 30years [a scary thing to do to your face when your young but amusing ]

Thelefthand> I'm going to have to look at this Dave Dorman and yeah portraits are the next thing to work on, it's pretty clear.

Juhani Jokinen> Thanks for the comment, i'm getting an unsettling feeling about that coke can image you've mentioned. I vaguely remember a large can from somewhere, rain and a red pallet from many years ago. I remember using photo reference for the painting and a bit of debris from a gamesworkshop model. I produced it I think 2 years ago now and The original image was portrait, included a huge sky as it was meant as a 20x30 inch birthday present but people had trouble working out the character when the image is reduced so I recently edited it to landscape and removed that massive sky, move the balloon down simply for easier reading on a computers resolution.

I'm going to check this out, if it appears too similar to the image I'll remove it so that it never see's the light of day. It bugs me if an image has stuck in my subconscious and turns out to be similar too someone else's work.

I'll make sure I get this portrait and anatomy stuff nailed, its just going to become a bad habit in the future.

Ahhh and thanks to others for the kind comments.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.