Sketchbook: Thierolf's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thierolf's Sketchbook

September 04, 2009: I'm not sure how to start. I first stumbled upon ConceptArt in 2005 and was utterly astounded at the talent it housed. Intimidated, I ran away and only lurked for the next few years. I actually discovered the college at which I'm currently enrolled (the Columbus College of Art and Design) in the spectacular educational thread here, so I can honestly say I'm indebted to CA now.

That being said, I'm a lady, 19 years old, a freshman stationed at CCAD, and I plan to major in illustration. My major concern with my art for the past few months has been form and value/contrast, but I need to improve EVERYTHING, of which I'm well aware.

Awrite, the art.

1: Painter, speedpaint from imagination. I was having a crap day and wanted to play with complimentary colors.
    2: Painter again, playing with contrast this time.
    3: Ballpoint pen, playing with faces during art history, haha. No reference so I can pinpoint my problem areas. (I like noses, lol)
    4: Graphite plant studies, basil on the left and violet on the right.
    5: Ballpoint pen, some quick no-reference human figures. I needed to pinpoint where my problems lay; obviously my anatomy is noodly and I can't draw a neck-torso connection. :I There is a free life-drawing session in a week, which I plan to attend.

Hope you all enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Wolfyu; February 14th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there Fellow Lurker....lol

Really good looking drawing's and studies in here hoping to see a lot more!!!
    (Really liking the noise studies)

Good Luck! and Improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! So glad you finally got a SB here! Peer pressure rocks But can't wait to see more of your art either posted here or in person

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Gorilla! Noses are so fun. C:

Realitychek, did you know that peer pressure causes cancer? Better stop doin' that.

A figure study I did in thirty-forty minutes tonight, referenced from this image (link nsfw) and some doodles. I found that all of my animals' heads were beginning to look the same. Time to switch 'er up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfyu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dog head studies and the nose ones are cool, there's a lot of variety in them. However, your palette looks a bit dull. If you want to play with centers of attention, try to insert some tiny spots of bright, contrasted colour in strategical places of the pics.
    Can't wait to see more of your work! it looks really good by now.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook!

You have a really wonderful sense of lighting and color throughout your sketchbook! I really love your style and ideas. I pretty much agree with other people here that you just need to do some more contrast your work in order to make the pieces finish a little more.

It's good stuff, through, so keep up the work!

My sketchbook! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166709

If you want follow up critique/comments, feel free to send me a PM or post on a thread of mine! I might not realize you need it, otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, Abrodos and Meralynn. I'm afraid today's haul isn't very strong in the way of contrast, but tonight I plan to do a watercolor of one of my bird skulls...play with negative space and all that fun stuff. Will definitely try what you recommended with the small spots of contrast, Abrodos.

Yeah, definitely watercolor, seeing as all of this junk is grayscale. The first three are from my drawing class (third is an outdoor observation). Last two are scribblings, playing with anatomy.

Didn't realize how...uh...unspherical the sphere in that first still life was until I looked at the photo. Gotta fix that STAT or I'll be up all night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally attended the figure drawing session! I was rusty as hell. D8

The second is a wip from painting class, in which we are only allowed to use white, ultramarine blue, and burnt umber oils. After that is a graphite still life. Then are two little watercolor/colored pencil drawings I completed while waiting for far too many layers of gouache to dry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is looking good!

Welcome to CCAD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while. Busy with schoolwork, reading Sandman, and listening to the audiobook of Good Omens. Because of this, my thinking voice is now perpetually British.

The first is a 2.5 hour colored pencil drawing from a life drawing session. I'm rather irked that I couldn't see the model's legs, as I rather like how she turned out.

Second, I was just playing with Corel Painter, trying to push past the usual point where I give up on digital rendering.

Then there's three still-life studies from my drawing class, first two in graphite, last in ballpoint pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, no update. Been busy with finals and adapting to life away from home. Christmas break is right around the corner, though, and boy do I plan on getting some personal drawings and studies done! For now, here are two finished oil paintings and three self portrait assignments. I must apologize for the terrible quality of the paintings; these dorms are the worst for photographing!

The first was in-class, and the second was painted in my dorm with my own setup. I'm rather discouraged by how melty and floppy the objects are (especially the blue cup in the second). Something to work on in the future, for sure. I'm going to try my hand at focusing on one area at a time after laying down initial base colors instead of hopping around so much, especially on crisp, more finished pieces like this.

Then is a series of three self portraits for my color concept class. The assignments were: graphite with high value range, natural color with high value range, and unnatural color with evident texture. The second is watercolor and colored pencil, and the third is a combination of gesso, acrylic, and gel pen.

Last edited by Wolfyu; December 7th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick things before I sleep tonight. The first two are figure drawings from class, about twenty five or thirty minutes each. Next are two doodles of these people-headed-antelope I like to draw everywhere. Then is a study of a photo in corel painter. My landscape skills are horrendous, so I'll try to do one of these per week. It was all done with the oil pastel brush...it seems I have a phobia of using different brushes on pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woa! great work just keep it comming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some pretty good looking stuff in here. One piece of advice though...
    Don't be afraid to push the contrast a bit more. Most of your pieces have the value structure thoroughly stuck near the middle range. Use more deep shadows and bright highlights. It will help make your forms look more fully three-dimensional.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, Mephisto! More than one person has told me the exact same thing, and I really need to take it to heart. I have a post coming soon with a few digital studies which I hope will push my value a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talk about an art funk, eew. Going back to school might actually HELP my productivity! I haven't accomplished much at all in the past few weeks, but here's what I have to offer!

Three pages from the sketchbook, and a guy I drew as an attempt to get back into coloring.
    Thierolf's Sketchbook
    Thierolf's Sketchbook
    Thierolf's Sketchbook
    Thierolf's Sketchbook

And here are two digital gifts for Livejournal friends. The compositions and dynamics are HORRIBLE, but I was focusing on light and contrast instead. x_X One of my big issues (apparent in the second one) is using a variety of color and value in the same piece. I'll address this with my next post.
    Thierolf's Sketchbook
    Thierolf's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attempted another digital landscape in Painter. This is based on a photo I took of Neuschwanstein Castle and the surrounding area, but I made up the path in the foreground. I have a LONG way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy getting ready to head back to the dorms! I went to my friend Jessica's house and drew her a few times while we were watching a movie. The guy there is her boyfriend, Paolo, who was kind enough to sit still for me. The pillow helped, I expect. :]

Next is a quick marker-barf from the sketchbook.

Aaaand then I attempted my first digital life study, and I really shouldn't have started with such a complex/reflective object. I'm disappointed that I still stuck with one brush the entire time. Practice, practice, practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 minute portrait of my friend Amanda while we sat in the lobby! First time trying a digital life-drawing like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah! it's me! Your sketchbook looks absolutely great, I love the digital painted bird and landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Manderp, you were a great impromptu model. C8

Two figure studies from drawing class, an 'angel' concept a friend and I are working on, and more digital practice (this time in Photoshop).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm feeling conflicted about my art lately, like I don't know what I want out of it. But then, who ever -really- knows these things? The stuff I've posted in here already doesn't seem like 'me' for some reason. GROWTH, I s'pose.

School has been taking up a lot of time lately, but I'm trying to put aside a bit more time for sketches and doodles. Here's some life drawings from bus trips and a page of doodles during a painting class lecture.

Thierolf's Sketchbook Thierolf's Sketchbook
    Thierolf's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH MY!! I love your art :] I can see so much improvement already. Love the still lifes and the three faces in a row and the colored pencil study on post 10, etc. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ColorExcursion: I'm so pleased that you seem to be seeing improvement! My art seemed to have hit a bit of a standstill for a few months there, and it was discouraging. So thank you.

Some concept sketches of a humanoid-antelope race of mine. I'd like to take them to the next level, so to speak, since they've been bopping around my head since 2006.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something from drawing class today, drawn in about 2.5 hours, and a few quick busts trying to figure out digital coloring. Turns out I still can't find any consistency...ugh. It's been discouraging.

Last edited by Wolfyu; March 2nd, 2010 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a watercolor texture study for a larger piece, a sketch of one of my bongo people to show surface anatomy, and and one of my Runners. No digital this time; that stuff just makes me angry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A digital study (NO MORE HEADS, KATIE, GOSH), some life stuff, and messing around with a character concept. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things have been quite busy. Here's some doofy things I doodled up for friends and a more serious digital life-drawing. Amanda again, who sat for probably 20 minutes. (Thanks, guuuurl) Something about her nose is off, which can be blamed on my sloppy initial sketch. I can see some progress with color, though, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way it turned out tho! It's like you gave me one of your guys' noses XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, no update. School's been crazy daisy.

Here's some graphite studies from drawing class, a marker sketchbook page doodle, and some other various life studies from the past few weeks. :]

I keep an art blog now, for more finished things: http://thierolfart.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Wolfyu; April 21st, 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.