little help? advice needed.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: little help? advice needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

little help? advice needed.

This is a work in progress, started off as a doodle and just kind of wandered along to the stage it's at now. Not sure how I feel about it at the moment. Would love some constructive criticism about directions I could take it.

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... not too sure what to say, its hard to get in your head and know what you were thinking when you SKETCHED it, which is really the key. i would say something about color wash, but maybe the emptiness was intended.
    let us inside your mind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trust me, you don't want to be inside my head. It's pretty cramped for a start...

Well, I'm putting a portfolio together for illustration agencies, and just wanted some work which had some kind of theme. I'm not making a statement per se, maybe just exploring the idea of being watched, especially watching the innocent. Or something. It was meant to be quite stark and isolated, which is why I left the background blank. The red shirt was riffing off the Schindler's List thing.

I guess I'm just unhappy that it doesn't really grab me. I though it was a good idea in theory, but in practice it seems a little flat. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas to make it a little more arresting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    surely for a portfolio you'd want to show the agency that you can provide a wide variety of skills and theme...
    1 thing, the hand is looks strange, but the camera looks quite good
    for the background i recon a dark surrounding with light ray shinning on the boy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the mood of the piece seems to be a bit thrown off by the light background - Im guessing the boy portrays the mood of innocence while the camera does the exact opposite? But because the colour/contrast for the camera is so white and washed it doesnt quite get across that sense of foreboding. Try using some darker shades with sharp and solid edges to make it look more hard, existant and um...relentless? I dunno, just throwing ideas about.
    But great concept all the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should work something into the camera to give a stronger sense of it being the "bad guy". Maybe put a Authoritarian symbol on it of some sort and darken it down a bit because at the moment it kind of looks like a cute, curious camera; to some extent giving the impression of a two way, amicable, interaction between the boy and the camera.

Or you could take it in a completely different direction and put a rock or slingshot in the boys hand, maybe hinting at the camera (and what it represents) being the stimulus for aggression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for all your advice. Truth be told I wasn't very happy with the kid, so decided to get rid. Definitely think it's an improvement, but would still welcome your thoughts.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look like they might have been inspired by the great Banksy

I think the baby is a lot more interesting for some reason. It doesn't have a menacing feel to the image, but not entirely sure what kind of mood you are going for.

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got to agree with aesthetic, very banksy and loving it
    Putting the baby in the picture really gives the image better concept and widens the space between innocence and hostility - little boys can be mischievous and cheeky while babies are mostly pretty innocent things, so changing the character here has definitely help, not to mention the baby seems anatomically correct, with the exception of its left hand (our right), you just need to correct it (more chubby and sausage like).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.