EOW 118 NYC in 3000ad

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 118 NYC in 3000ad

EOW 118 NYC in 3000ad

118 New York City in 3000 AD

Brief:
    New Yok city 1000 years from now taking into effect possible technologies....and accounting for the waters rise due to global warming

you may include descriptive material or explanations if you like

required
    recognizably NewYork City
    Water levels risen
    changes in technology

DUE September10 2009

and we're off again!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

EOW 118 NYC in 3000ad
    (you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh! Cool! If I have time I might have to jump right in here and attempt a city scene, (I suck at them though) and improve my self.......hopefully!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good.. I'm in if time is kind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, decided to give this thing a go and was hoping for some crits and comments from you guys. its only a wip so theres no detail or anything yet looking more for comments on atmosphere and composition.

thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a great start to me; I love your work, and am anxious to see what your final submission will look like. What I am wondering about at this stage of your drawing is the size and perspective of the buildings vis-a-vis the foreground grasses. Are the structures on the right side buildings or disintegrating concrete pillars? I think the early rendering fails to convey the depth and distance between structures, though I am sure subsequent detail passes will remedy this problem in short order.

I wish this assignment had come a week later. I'll be going back to visit NYC for an entire week starting on the 9th..... would've been good inspiration. Just take a tablet and computer to a coffee shop in Greenwich Village and paint...

Arka C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sime - I like your atmosphere and colours. Composition looks tight in a good way but leaves the form of the most interesting buildings on the background up for guesses. I think they're the only thing that look as far in the future as 3000.

I took a wilder approach:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this is a good enough idea, it is still very basic, but here is what I have so far. I plan on making Brooklyn bridge, covered in water and useless whilst the city is surrounded by a futuristic wall. Will possibly add flying vehicles, boats or something. We'll see.
    SIME and smuli: Nice starts! Very different atmospheres.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the comments guys - much appreciated and will be put to gud use ;P
    smuli - youve got some nice forms going on here although some of the spherical ones in the background look a little flat compared to the one in the foreground, it may be worth trying to make these a bit more believable obviously without making them too overpowering for the foreground.

zimfin - good choice to submerge the bridge like that, could give a very eerie feel to the depths!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SIME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm sounds really fun, count me in on this week... i need to get back into the challenges again i think

cant wait to see what people think of... would help having been to/lived in NYC

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a go at it, this is what I have got so far, not sure I like it though. The premise was that the sky has become so hot and polluted as to be inhabitable, so the people have to live under the flood waters in makeshift houses built from whatever they could scavenge.
    Critics would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realised my bridge looked crap perspective-wise so I went into Sketchup, made a model and replaced the old bridge. I also removed most of the actual bridge so the river would have been open to traffic without snagging on the bridge. It is all very basic at the mo but I am getting a better idea of where I am heading with this. Crits welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zimfin... well thought out... dyking the the city like Holland to maintain it even below water level. you might want to think about howhigh the water inrelationship to the builings if it is at that level on the bridge.. ad for Dyke building you could ref holland if you wanted to. giggle we could just go back to "New Amsterdam......." this is just me thinking out loud. good work

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    zimfin... well thought out... dyking the the city like Holland to maintain it even below water level. you might want to think about howhigh the water inrelationship to the builings if it is at that level on the bridge.. ad for Dyke building you could ref holland if you wanted to. giggle we could just go back to "New Amsterdam......." this is just me thinking out loud. good work
    Thanks! Lol, New Amsterdam sounds good to me.
    Until you mentioned it, I never noticed that the water levels never matched up! At the very least, I should have the buildings hidden a bit behind the wall. Having said that, after 1000 years, there should be a growth of buildings either out above the water, (using future tech) or massively taller buildings also using future tech. Hmm, lots for me to think about. I'm worried if I change the skyline too much, only the bridge can help people realise it is NY.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    empire state building
    angles a bit different but you could play with the distance and over lap of the bridge abutment
    http://www.howardmodels.com/dpr/broo...idge16-800.jpg

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the feedback chaos and the link. That is a great pic but if I painted from that angle we would be looking from underwater. Yeah, I thought about overlapping originally but decided I wanted a gap, all be it very small between the wall and the abutment. Perspective-wise, it would be a pain in the ass moving the bridge now anyway. I could put the empire state building in I guess, though I am tempted to gar far out and do some big-ass futuristic buildings or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh put them in too!.. the way the city has grown... this picture has nothing to do woith the challenge in particular...except that this book shows the city growning up and changing over time.... it's called "the LIttle HOuse by virginia Burton
    http://noisetank.com/hugeasscity/ima...ttle_House.JPG

my point being the empppire state building (or the chrysler building )could be ike that little house (lower center...under the train tracks) still there but eclipsed by modern splendor.
    It only needs to be iconographically visible ....

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok think im getting much closer with this now, tryed to make the landscape more believable and give a better sense of depth. gunna start ading some detail and character to the buildings and make it feel more like new york. would love more crits and opinions if u guys have em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again chaos. Nice to get interesting and enthusiastic feedback like this. I will see what I can come up with.

SIME: Looking good there. Liking the lighting and depth you're getting. Keep at it! :-)

*edit* Okay, made some major additions to my piece by extending the canvas and increasing the height of the Brooklyn Bridge abutment, (more like the ref actually) to cause some overlap.
    Still all very basic. Haven't got into the texturing/lighting part of it much yet but I like the composition a lot more now. Not sure if to put some sort of support structures, (futuristic or other) under the overpass or not. I like it without but it would not float by itself. Hmm, problems,problems.......don't you love 'em? :-)

Last edited by zimfin; September 8th, 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EOW 118 NYC in 3000ad

Here's what I'm working on. I didn't notice the rules saying anything about using photos as base. Is it allowed or not? Newbie alert here, hehe. Anyways, I found out that using photo was the fastest way to a correct perspetive so I used one on this.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I rather imagined a desert scenario, maybe caused by something unforseen happening to the sun. The main focus was going to be the ruins of the bridge, the I had an idea for some evocative craft hovering over the city ruins... First wip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zimfin

Hi zimfin

First, let me disqualify myself by saying I could be totally wrong....
    You asks for suggestions in chow, and I couldn't quite figure out what was bugging me about the picture but I think now I know. First you r rendering skills are amazing, which actually make it harder to figure out what might be wrong. What I'm feeling in your pieces is thAt individual elements have great perspective but the perspective as a whole is not cohesive. e.g. The overpass would look like it does over our heads , but the vanishing point for the overpass is below the horizon line. I also wonder if the highest point of the duke should be in our point of view instead of the right of the picture.. Side noteyou also have a tangent at the top of the bridge and the water line it might be more interesting if they're at different levels. Apology for any typos typed on iPod

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havent had time to do anything here for a while, which is a pity, becouse this looks pretty good one to join in on. Just a quick coment though, and i know its quite a cliche' image but, i'm suprised theres no images of statue of liberty, i would have thought that would be one image that would still be around, even if at one point it had colapsed, becouse it is such a major emblem of new york. and after 1000 years, who knows, instead of the real statue looking out to sea, there would instead be a massive hologram version

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonroseart View Post
    Hi zimfin

First, let me disqualify myself by saying I could be totally wrong....
    You asks for suggestions in chow, and I couldn't quite figure out what was bugging me about the picture but I think now I know. First you r rendering skills are amazing, which actually make it harder to figure out what might be wrong. What I'm feeling in your pieces is thAt individual elements have great perspective but the perspective as a whole is not cohesive. e.g. The overpass would look like it does over our heads , but the vanishing point for the overpass is below the horizon line. I also wonder if the highest point of the duke should be in our point of view instead of the right of the picture.. Side noteyou also have a tangent at the top of the bridge and the water line it might be more interesting if they're at different levels. Apology for any typos typed on iPod
    Thanks for the feedback! I was a little confused because you were talking about the chow piece then suddenly mentioned the overpass, but I get you now. I am working on my perspective, slowly but surely! :-) You can't see it, due to the wall, but the overpass is meant to level out around the line of the horizon. I am not sure what you mean by the "duke". What is that, the bridge? Could you explain that apart better for me? Hopefully my latest wip covers the tangent issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

whoops

sorry about that typo. . I meant the dyke (sp?) The highest point of the city wall should be in your LOS (line of sight).

Yes. . the overpass ends at the horizon line, but I don't feel like the vanishing point for the overpass is on the horizon line. . ergh, I'm not sure that makes sense. (And doing curved stuff in perspective is really tricky anyway) I'm trying to say I feel like you have different vanishing points when you should only have one.

In regards to the Chow. . I finally realized that the way the table is angled is correct, but we would be standing almost right next to it, which would mean there would not be a full body view of the character from the viewer's position.

I don't remember a lot, but I had a really good perspective teacher in college and he recommended this book:

http://tinyurl.com/mml67p

Last edited by illustrateth; September 8th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I don't know if this would help or not

Actually. . you can have more than one vanishing point (just looked it up in the book), if the objects you are drawing are placed at different directions).

BUT you can only have 1 horizon line

Maybe this will help explain what i mean about the bridge?

Name:  NYC-3000AD.5.jpg
Views: 1846
Size:  229.1 KB

Last edited by illustrateth; September 8th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsujni - enjoying the strokes and colours..already a strong image
    ismo - I like that idea!

this is what I got so far. similar wall-type idea..yeah

Name:  nyc3ka.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  299.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    september 10th approacheth
    posting final burning tonight

please move them over and don't forget the icons
    OUTSIDE HOSTED ICONS PLZ KTHX

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragonroseart: Thanks for the explanation and paint over. I understand you a lot better now! The chow piece, I thought, was okay because I tried working that out to a 1 point perspective, as you see from all the tiles and I thought she fitted in. Too late now.

As for this pic, I winged the city/overpass perspective a little and now I am paying for it. Lol. I will adjust the VP of the overpass. I was under the impression though that the wall should be below the horizon line because I was viewing from higher up, possibly showing some of the other side of it behind the city, though I could be totally wrong about that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic and some great images so far

Sime yours is looking cool, nice palette
    Tsunji This is looking great, can imagine seeing some kind of favella build into that
    audit Very cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.