Custom/variant brush icons

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Custom/variant brush icons

Hi
    Getting used to 8.1 and creating a custom brush palette. Along with the icon that gives any custom brush libraries their own look, can a jpeg be assigned to a custom brush itself?

I haven't been able to do it yet, but it would be easier to spot the variants I'm loading into my custom palette until I get used to their location and can hit them on the fly.

I think if needed that I can drag the default Painter brush that I created my variant from (and thus get its icon as well) into a custom palette, and then go ahead and alter that to my needs. That would at least get me in the ballpark, and since I only use one or two from certain categories, hey I guess I'd have a 50% chance of hitting it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

We can't assign a custom icon to a brush variant but we can assign a custom icon to a custom brush category.

Here's what you can do:

Create a new, custom brush category using any image you want as the icon.

Place a single custom brush variant in that new custom brush category.

Drag the new custom brush category icon onto your Custom Palette.

To create a new custom brush category:

Open an image and, without holding down the Shift key to make the selection square, draw a square selection around the part of the image you want to use as the icon image.

In the Brush Selector menu, choose Capture Brush Category and give it a unique name not already used by Painter.

Now create your custom brush variant (or use a default variant) and copy it to the new custom brush category:

With the brush variant active, in the Brush Creator menu, choose Copy Variant.

In the Copy Variant dialog box, choose your new custom brush category name from the Copy variant to: drop down list, then click the OK button.

If it was a custom brush variant you created, saved with a unique name not already used by Painter, then copied to your new custom brush category:

Go back to the original brush category, choose the custom brush variant, and in the Brush Selector menu, choose Delete. (It's redundant now that it's been copied to your new custom brush category.)

Repeat the above procedures for any brush variant you want to display with a unique icon image. Place it into a custom brush category with a unique icon image.

(If you're only moving copies of default brush variants to your new custom brush categories, you won't want to delete them from the original brush category since they're not custom brush variants and you'll want to keep the default brush categories and brush variants intact.)

Good luck,

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaahhhh...!
    All right, there we go. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.